Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question about riding for extended length of time. I took a trip over the weekend to Sky Line Drive in Virginia. Wife and I did 200 Miles on Saturday and 330 Miles on Sunday. At the end of both days, I could not wait to get off the bike. My butt hurt so bad I was actually glad to park it. Wife says she is great and could have done another 200 miles each day on top of what we did. I changed the highway pegs around and that still did not help. Does any one find this to be true when they ride for more than 100 miles? Is there a seat mod or a different seat to take care of this problem? Thanks, Rex

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
do you have a stock seat

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seat is stock. at least it is what came with it.
A 2010 Gold Wing with the heated seat.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
A lot of times it depends on height and weight. I'm 5'9" about 200 lbs and I just finished a 13.5 hr 716 mile ride home from NC without any problem on a stock seat and Kuryakyn Iso II pegs. Some people love the 1800 seat and some hate it. Those that don't like the seat either buy a gel or beads seat to go on the Wing. Thats about a $25 fix. Others go all out and buy a custom seat. A custome seat for your 2010 with heat will run you about $1,200.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two Wheel Wing,
Thanks for the info. $1200 is a little steep for a seat.
I'll have to try the Gel or the beads and see where that gets me. I am 6' and 220 pounds. It just got to be very uncomfortable after about 100 miles. I am going to re-adjust the the Kuryakyn pegs I have and see if that will help some. I need to get some of the weight on the back of my legs and off my butt. Maybe a gel sitting on Top of the seat will help some. I don't want to put any more height off the ground to the seat than I have to. Thanks again ! Rex

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Rex: I just did a 425 mile return ride from Centreville, VA to Williamsburg, VA on Sunday. The stock seat is less than perfect, but a long ride usually hits me in the hip region which is related to the leg position. I did comment to the wife why did they make the faux seams in the seat as they can be felt through the pants. I wore a pair of Nike workout ( Spandex ? ) shorts and they kept the tail end drier and rash free.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chopin114, Thanks for the insight. I had an 750 Aero that I put a Mustang seat on 3 days after I bought it brand new from the dealer. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like Honda does not do a very good job on the seats. Maybe it is my long legs and I end up sitting back on my butt too much. All I know is, I have to fix this. The wife and I did 530 miles over the weekend; Saturday (200 miles) and Sunday (330 miles) and all I wanted to do was get off the bike at the end of the day. Did the Sky Line Drive route and then down to Richmond.
Talk about hot on Sunday.
I do not know how accurate the Temp read out on the Gild Wing is, but it read 104 degrees until we crossed the Potomac river on 301. Got to La Plata and ran into some rain and the Temp dropped to 76 degrees for about a half hour, then back up into the 90's.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Check out this for sale post ! I doubt that the seat will be a heated version, but I've sat on one and it was heaven. Wish I had the extra cash to buy it. I would use it in the summer months. The post link :http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4197 P.S. Most of our riding temps were in the 102 to 104 range also. Had to pack the wife down with ice in Tappahannock, anything to get her on the bike to get home.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sometimes (sometimes) a person sits too long in one position, and that takes it's toll. I'm and inch shorter than you (32" inseam), and about 20 lbs lighter, and I find that I need to adjust about every 20 minutes or my butt tells me it ain't happy. 8 hours of that kind of activity (in-activity?) and I'm fine as long as I keep the changes in position happening. Had fauz sheepskin on my 1200 and it was night and day over the plain seat, but the 1200 was a pretty poor saddle IMO.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Rex,

Walmart sells a gel seat that a lot of folks like. It's about $20 and you can find it in the automotive section. Give it a try. I think they also carry the beaded seat, but I don't know if it's for a m/c. It may be for a cage. If you try to cut it you have a pile of beads, if you know what I mean..

·
Registered
402 Posts
I tried a gel pad first because my Corbin is like sitting on a block of wood. The gel helped but I still got sore after a couple hundred miles. Ordered an Airhawk seat cushion from Wingstuff and problem solved. 500+ miles is a piece of cake now. Gels are OK but if you want a long comfortable ride, go with the Airhawk.

Here's a link to the Wingstuff page and a youtube video that tells more about it. The Goldwings use a "Medium Cruiser" size (14" X 14")

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/312_Seats_Covers/27286_AirHawk_Air_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Seat_Cushions/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/312_goldwing_Seats_Covers/des/?page=2

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The gel works good for me and it cost about $100 and I ride more miles with much less pain!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. I think I will try a gel seat and see how it goes. The only thing is, I don't want to sit any higher than I alreay am. But maybe a little higher will no matter. I'll spend twenty bucks to see if it will work.
Has anyone ever installed a gel cushin inside of the seat. i.e. taken the seat apart and installed a gel cushin? Not sure how the heat would affect the gel?
Thanks, Rex

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same problem. I am 6 ft. and 250 lbs. My stock seat on my GL1800, IMO, should be more comfortable for this kind of bike. It's the ultimate touring bike for God's sake. I have sat in more comfortable seats from Yamaha and Kawasaki. But Budoka has a point. After several minutes, I need to change my position. It does help a bit. Also, on my 1982 GL1100, I lowered my highway bars a bit, and that seemed to help also.
Later,
Big "R"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The GW was designed for the average person 5'8" to 5'10" and if you are 6' and over you do not fit exactly right. Your legs end up somewhat under you and the pressure on your butt is on two spots. Sure does get uncomfortable after a while.
I like Radarsdad solution in the Air Hawk seat. Thank you for the heads up on the Air Hawk. I would like the ability to ride for 3-4 hours without getting sore. Looks like the gel seat may work good and the Air Hawk may be even a better answer. Thanks for the information. I figured you guys had been through this already and had an answer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rex,
I feel your pain- at 6'5" 220lbs I have a great motorcycle that I can't ride comfortably for more than 1-2 hours. Same deal 10 wing. I have tried one other seat option but think I am going with a Russell day long. Any other tall riders have a different solution that does not run over $1000.00. I thought Harleys were expensive

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got a cheap set of the wooden beads and it helped me a lot. I think one of the factors is that air circulates between you and the seat with the beads between.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not done anything as of yet. Still looking at all my options, Beads, Gel, AirHawk. I guess it all boils down to comfort, cost, and how it looks on your bike. Comfort being the most important to me, but not at $1K. I'll find something to satisfy for under $200.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm like budoka,have to keep changing position,then i'm good. I will even put one foot on the Kury,the other on the stock peg for a few,then switch.Helps me a lot. Might look funny,but too old to care.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts