Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that if I skip a wash off after a ride the next wash I do there seems to be a ton of brake dust on my rear wheel. I just have 4300 miles so it could just be new. If it is not newness then do they make ceramic pads for Wings? My limited skills have not acquired any said pads. As ALWAYS yall exceed my expectations with help. Thank ya very much! :D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Did you buy these pads? Are they OEM?

Hard pads last longer but also= high heat.
Sounds like soft pads = good stopping power, keeps rotors from wraping but of course, they wear fast.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same experience, I bought my 08 Wing w/4700 miles this year, and it appeared the rear wheel had never been cleaned. Used Mothers cleaner on it, great stuff, but the accumulated brake dust and dirt had actually pitted the aluminum surface. I use 000 or 00 steel wool on those place which helps shine them up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the same problem, the solution is to make sure you wash then i spray the rim with Mr Sheen ( same as Pledge). That way next time i wash the rim the brake dust comes off easily, dosen't tend to stick to the rim as much. Make sure you dont spray the pads otherwise it may be interesting next time you go to stop.;)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
All three Wings I've had have had a tendency to leave lots of brake dust on the rear wheel. Drove me crazy on the 1200 when I wanted to put her in a show & shine. I finally resorted to wipng the rim and spokes with a cloth soaked in silicone spray after prepping for the show and that ended the clean-up woes if I had to ride a few hundred miles to get there. Don't ever spray the wheel rim with it before riding, it will get on the disc and callipers and then... well you know.:eek:

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
When I bought my bike with 8,900 miles I thought the the rear rim was powder coated black. I think the original owner had bad knees because nothing below the saddle bags seemed touched. Someone back on this board suggested Bronze Wool Pads, so off I went to ACE Hardware. Another after coating I pick up from somewhere, or somebody, was wiping the cleaned rims with a coat of Future Acrylic Floor Polish ( untested by me ).

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Your not alone. Brake dust is a common problem, especially with the OEM pads. You have to stay on top of cleaning the rear wheel or it accumulates pretty fast. Be careful what you use on the rims they scratch very easily...

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Your not alone. Brake dust is a common problem, especially with the OEM pads. You have to stay on top of cleaning the rear wheel or it accumulates pretty fast. Be careful what you use on the rims they scratch very easily...
Your right TWW. Once the rims get to a point where you have to use an abrasive material on them, all hope is lost to ever have them look like the front rims again. The only comfort is in numbers here. Riders, show us your rims.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are OEM pads, lovetoride. I ask at my dealer today if they had ceramic pads and the parts feller said, "if they do I never heard of em."
That is what I love about this site, it sounds like a common thing so I will continue to spray the lovely lady off when we get home. It has not been a problem because #1 I do not let it get out of hand and #2 Meguiars Mag @Aluminum polish.
You all ride safe and enjoy the holidays. I hope Santa has a sled full of Wingstuff for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts