Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2016 Goldwing F6B
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I have a 2016 GL1800 F6B. Its time to change my spark plugs and would like
to upgrade to the iridium ones BKR6EIX-11, as opposed to the regular NGK BKR6E-11
Should I go ahead and install them this spring (April) or stay with the regular ones?
Please advise.

· Registered
2,205 Posts
Thru the years I have always found it best to stick with OE
That is what all the engineering was worked out for

Reactions: ironhorse54

· Registered
2,205 Posts
All I can say is this
When all these special plugs started hitting the market
If you dropped them in a small block Chevy
It ran like crap in short order

· Registered
2,205 Posts
Engines were built around where, how hot, and size spark would be generated by the spark plug to get the fuel ignition pattern that they wanted for optimal performance
Otherwise the manual would just say “stick any old plug with the right size thread in it, your good”
But each has there own choice

1,319 Posts
Just because the new cars use them, were designed for them, and do in fact last a very long time/mileage in a car. Doesn’t necessarily mean that they are an upgrade or high performance improvement to our motorcycles. I have seen enough siezed/rusted/cracked plugs on neglected bikes up here, to firmly believe in taking them out every so often just to be sure they haven’t seized to the cylinder head. Also, I have personally removed iridium plugs with no center electrode left. That tiny little pin was gone. Where did it go??? There is no performance/mpg/cost savings by using them where they are not recommended. I would recommend using the OEM plugs and replace them as recommended. Oh, and don’t change the heat range of the plug by using anti-seize. It insulates the plug from the head causing it to run hotter. I’m not a fan of iridium plugs.

· Super Moderator
15,480 Posts
i have iridium plugs in all of my motorcycles, i think my Wing starts up a little quicker but there is no performance gain

· Registered
5 Posts
Thru the years I have always found it best to stick with OE
That is what all the engineering was worked out for
I agree with what Ironhorse said.
Not just because of this 2016 GL1800, but also because of experience with 2009 Harley RoadKing. Some kind tech made time to explain it to me. Once I stopped trying to improve the things the engineers chose to put together, and just went with OEM parts, I've had much better luck. That's just my milage; yours may vary.

· Registered
11 Posts
One would stay with the NGK plugs because they have been proven to work very well.
I know a few guys that were going to really improve the performance in their hemi cars, and found out a few hundred miles later they threw away a lot of money by purchasing 16 fancy high dollar plugs that did not improve anything. And they had to be replaced with stock ones as they were causing engine problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts