Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iPhone 12 overheats when in the shelter case. It has happened on trips less than 70 miles and it happened today after almost 400 miles.

It has happened with Apple CarPlay enabled and twice before I had CarPlay installed.

My 2021 tour DCT GW is red with the center console being black.

Every time I have taken the phone out of the shelter case it has felt very warm.

When it overheats the iPhone screen displays a message saying that it has overheated and needs to cool down.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, did you find a fix?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
526 Posts
Try a thinner or better ventilated case. If the case has a screen protector built in, there is no airflow to the device at all, and any phone will overheat in warm enough circumstances. A thin case that covers the back and sides, with an adhesive screen protector on the front, will provide protection without cooking the device.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A thin case that covers the back and sides, with an adhesive screen protector on the front, will provide protection without cooking the device.
I have a case like you described above. My brother, a 2018 GW owner, has the same phone as me. He’s been keeping his in the shelter case for 2 years and never had this problem.

I also thought about leaving the shelter case open while riding, thinking the airflow around it would help dissipate heat. It’s not a great solution but might work as long as there’s nothing inside that could fly out

I believe I read somewhere that the heat in the shelter case is from the engine below it. Maybe a 1/4” liner in the bottom would keep enough of the heat out to eliminate the problem?

NJMike

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
I know someone who had the same problem. He ended up mounting the phone on the bars. I have an Android phone and haven't had a problem as yet.

Reactions: mikew568

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two issues with bar mounting the phone. First, it has to be plugged into the USB that’s in the shelter case in order to use Apple CarPlay.

Second, the only good place I could find to mount my RAM phone mount was on the left handgrip, close to the switch/button assembly. I was going down the road at 55 mph and moved my left hand and knocked the phone out of the holder! Somehow I was able to pin the phone between my left hand and the outside of my left leg, and then gingerly grab it. When I got home I uninstalled the RAM mount :)

I just cut out two liners, two different thicknesses, made out of the foam that came with the cup holder that my brother (ironhorse54) has.

I will try these on our trip to Florida.

NJMike

·
Registered
526 Posts
The RAM mount is made to use with the matching rubber tether. If you're not using the tether, you're definitely taking your chances. I've used the RAM mount (with tether) for over a decade snowmobiling (way rougher than motorcycling), ATVing (WAY rougher than motorcycling), and motorcycling (about the same roughness as motorcycling) and have gone cross country four times with no incidents of losing my phone. But, iPhones don't like being mounted to the handlebars apparently, as it messes up the cameras in the newer models.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t know what mount you’re referring to that uses a tether. If it’s easy, please post the make/model?

NJMike

·
Registered
526 Posts
There are dozens of clones - here's a look at Zamazon listings. The rubber butterfly looking things are stretchy tethers that go behind the RAM mount and stretch over the four corners of your phone. Removing it is then near-impossible without flicking the corners of the tether back off the phone. It takes 2 seconds to remove, and about 3 seconds to mount each time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read several complaints of this I-phone overheating thing and find it strange. I've only had my '21 Tour for a couple of months and 1200 miles but all of it has been in the Texas heat. Last weekend I did 225 miles in the hill country with my Iphone 12 Pro in the compartment and plugged in. It was 95-98 degrees according to the dash thermometer most of the ride and no issues. The phone was slightly warm to the touch when I'd stop and pull it out. I think maybe the type of case is the issue. I just use the Apple silicone case with a glass screen protector put on by the Apple store. I wonder if the big clunky Otterbox type cases maybe allow it to get too hot? On this particular ride I even took the foam insert out and just set the phone in the compartment. The foam is a pain in the rear with the cable and all in the way.

·
Registered
526 Posts
iPhones also shut down when they get too cold. Samsung Galaxy phones will work and charge down to about 10 degrees-ish, lower if you use a wireless charger that generates a little heat, but the iPhones don't like it much below 20.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a silicone case with a glass screen protector. Just got back from a 60 mile ride at 90 degree temps and the phone was extremely warm although it did not shut down.

I can try taking the phone out of the case. We’re leaving tomorrow morning for South Carolina and Friday for Florida so I’ll be able to test.

Incidentally, the fairing pocket was quite warm…

NJMike

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had very same issues with my iPhone. You can do two things about it. I drilled two 1/2” holes in the shelter, installed 2” vinyl tubing in each hole to prevent the water entering the shelter (make sure it point down) and I achieved full ventilation.
Second thing you can do is to order another USB cable from Honda,plug it into a second USB port on your radio (make sure to reverse the usb1 to usb2 and route your cable to the trunk and keep your phone plugged in inside the trunk. By reversing your USB ports you’ll be able to use your Apple play. I’ve done both of those things and my front usb is playing music from a thumb drive and my rear usb is giving me an ApplePlay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts