Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a system that I hope will work fine for my 1500 and my iPhone. I just wondered how others are doing it. A lot of engineering and thinking went in to the project and now I'm curious if all of it was wasted and I could have bought it off the shelf.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Kinswang,

I have a Droid X I want to connect to my 1500 system. Mind sharing what you did to get the iPhone connected?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not at all, I bought a waterproof cover from biologic and attached the clip to the emblem behind the ignition key. Now the phone is in plain view, waterproof, hooked up to power, and yells at me trough Bluetooth.... Looks like it was from the factory and works like a charm in the garage. Roadtest to come later as it's pouring down and I'm heading to work tomorrow...

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Droid has a cool car mount. I screwed a 1/4" thick disc of acrylic over the GW emblem. The car mount has a suction base that I attach on the disc.

I made a custom cord to connect my phone directly to my wired helmet. It sounds fine parked in the garage, but I don't think it will be loud enough on the road. I can also use the earbuds that came with the phone. Looks like it is going to be a while before the ice and snow melts off so I can road test things.

The bluetooth would be real nice (no cord), but I am not ready to give up my original connection to the Honda radio, CB, and intercom. I guess a second helmet with bluetooth would solve that problem but not ready to spend that much.

Would you post the link to where you got your rain cover?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/bike-mount-iphone is where I got it. I'm also using the on board intercom and is not willing to give it up. I use the Bluetooth for calls and GPS instructions only. This way there is no extra wires, it unsnaps in seconds, it's waterproof, and I use it on my mountain bike as well. I did take some pics but not sure how to post them with my iPhone. Once I get the pc fired up I can post some pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kimswang,
I have a '98 1500, and I connect through a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. I connect the Zumo into the sound system using a dummy tape in the tape player. The Zumo has a SD card which contains all my music and also has blue tooth capability through which I connect my phone. I do have to use an extra mic to get voice into the phone. There is a plug on the Zumo mount for this. It would be great if I could use the CB/intercom mic, but I don't know how to do that. Anyway, that's how I did it. Have a great day.

Ben

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Ben. I am using one mic and only the standard intercom cable between the helmet and the bike. As a backup, I can connect the helmets directly to each other as well. I think I got it nailed down after reading all I could find on the subject.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kimswang,

That is a very nice device for holding the iPhone.

I forgot I had an FM modultor, so I hooked that to my Droid X and gave it a try.

http://[MEDIA=youtube]wFullScreen[/MEDIA]

As I am very picky about my sound quality, I am thinking about attempting the modification of adding an aux input jack to the Honda radio as decribed in the following link.

http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's pretty sweet. I'm thinking about that hard wire too for the moments we are outside of the local FM station. I will try the FM modulator and the tape for kicks but that will also bring the calls and GPS through the speakers...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts