Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been riding since 1979. The closest I got to a Wing was a Valkyrie I had for about a year - Loved it but had to sell because of finances. I've mostly ridden sport touring bikes I'm now retired and want a Wing for travel.
I am going to buy an 1800 somewhere between '01 and '05, because that's where my budget says I can buy.
I live in the DFW area. I saw elsewhere on this forum that I should be sure all recalls have been done. Anything else to look for?
About pricing ... Are KBB and NADA values realistic? Both trade and retail? How do I adjust for miles - What is good average miles per year to look for? Most bike have alot of accessories that really don't hold their value.
Are motorcycle dealers marking up used bikes like auto dealers do used cars? How much negotian room is there? On a $13k asking price is a $11k offer something I should shoot for?
I'm sure some of this has been covered here before but I couldn't find it in my search of the forum.
Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest. KBB and NADA are good starting points to determine a bike's value. There are some really good bargins out there you just need to be patient and find the one that you like. Ride safe and enjoy the forum...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Vapor, and yes good luck in your search. KBB values are based on actual dealership reports on the selling prices of used units, so they are realistic, but not written in stone. Wings are sometimes a bit outside the box because as a rule they are very well cared for and usually meticulously maintained. Doesn't mean you can be lax in your approach though. Farkles (extras) can add up to big dollars at purchase time, but for resale value it only adds $$ to the bike if it's things the perspective buyer really wants and would actually purchase himself. Rule of thumb for me as a dealer is two bits on the buck, but then I have to resell the bike if I take it on trade, so I have to be very careful there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you to you Senior Members that replied.
I'm looking to make my Wing Functional with farkles rather than Pretty. Chrome is nice but an aux fuel tank will get me further. Also Conspicuity (safety) is also important. I enjoy LD rides/rallies so my farkles will be in that direction.
Thanks again for you responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts