Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I have been on here because of dealing with a family death and ongoing estate issues.

Something has happened though that I need insight on.

This issue is on my new 2010 wing bought last November.

Back in July I was riding along and went to turn the right signal on and it stuck on. Stayed on for a few moments and went off. A few days later it did it again... and I could not seem to get it to go off. All the lights that had to do with signaling were solid on - the whole right side from front and back - spoiler - everything.

I thought to try something: I hit my emergency flasher - instantly the turn signal went from solid to flashing and I could turn it off.

Everything was fine for a month and one day it started again - by itself! The right signal would just come on solid. Sometimes I could get it off by hitting the hazzard button, and other times it would not go off until I shut the key off.

I took it into the dealer and his answer was to go out and start it once or twice a day and turn the signal on - of course, it wouldn't do it then - so they had no clue. (I had made sure to ride it in while the problem was showing and two service guys and the manager could see that there was indeed a problem... the right signal light would stay on solid and would go off when the key was shut of.

After two weeks of that, I picked the motorcycle up and rode it for two days without incident. Today when I went to use the right signal - the hazard flashers came on! Instead of the right turn signal coming on when I push the button - the hazards come on. Rod it to the dealer and he observed that.

He says he does not think it's a factory or warranty problem - but something that I did or the hooking up of all the "aftermarket stuff" I have on it.

My issue with that is I have had the aftermarket lights on for the year and the problem started in July.

I was also not comforted when he told me the last electrical problem he had in there cost the customer over $1300 by the time he found it and fixed it.

Any advise on this and has anyone else experienced a problem like this?

thanks,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Chopin, Thanks for the reply.

I have provided you with a reference # for Wingstuffs Chopin... and the date of install. I did all of this before the riding season and never had the first bit of problem - until late July of this year.

HO08F64MCA1Y1C 2001-2012 GL1800 Honda Factory OEM LED Lighted Trunk Spoiler (installed by dealer 10/10)

AO451842 GL1800 Clear Lense Run/Brake/Turn Spoiler Light. Clear Lense Replacement LED Spoiler Light replaces stock light on Hondaline Top Trunk Spoilers and features Running/Brake/Turn Signal all in one light (installed by dealer 10/10 to replace the spoiler light bar)

KU7316 Kuryakyn GL1800 Goldwing Accessory LED Stealth Light II (installed by dealer 10/10)

KU3215: Red LED w/Clear Lense Chrome Trunk Handle (installed by me 2/11)

HO08V31MCA100D LED GL1800 Honda Foglights (installed by me 2/11)

BB52733 Clear Lense GL1800 Turn Signal Assemblies replaces OEM while using the OEM wire harness (installed by me 2/11)

HO08U55MCA101 GL1800 Hondaline 12V DC Fairing Power Socket (installed by me 2/11)

EC02208 GL1800 & Universal Electrical Connection trunk Power Plug 5 amp OEM (installed by me 2/11)

BB52694 GL1800 Isolated Trailer Wire Harness (installed by me 5/11)

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
I would suspect the;

BB52694 GL1800 Isolated Trailer Wire Harness (installed by me 5/11).

They have been known to cause some odd lighting problems. :(

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I can't say for sure but it doesn't look like you have (or your dealer) installed anything that 'should' cause ths intermitant issue. However, that being said, electrical gremlins are a real bear sometimes. Most of your installs have the regular OEM connections or are plug and play into existing harness pigtails except for maybe the trunk handle light. Trike lady is our resident electrical genius so maybe she has an idea for you. As to it costing you out of your pocket to chase it down, I'd say that's a bit suspicious. I'd check the trailer harness first if it was me though.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I would start by checking any add ons were you had to expose bare wires. Also on the 1500 the turn signals and flashers are controlled by relays. Having said that I would think the 1800 is much the same.
For a light to continue to flash one of two things has to happen.
1. The control voltage for the relay is not going away.
Causes
a. a sticky switch, keeps the control voltage applied to the relay. solution contact cleaner.
b. on the 1500 the turn signal control voltage or ground from the odometer is not being removed after the required distance.

Does the spoiler have all the lights,ie. Running ,turn, hazard. If so, you might want to disconnect it, since it is common to the problem, to see is the problem goes away.
Just some ideas to look at

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Two things you have ibstalled that are connected to turn signals
AO451842 GL1800 Clear Lense Run/Brake/Turn Spoiler Light. Clear Lense Replacement LED Spoiler Light replaces stock light on Hondaline Top Trunk Spoilers and features Running/Brake/Turn Signal all in one light (installed by dealer 10/10 to replace the spoiler light bar)

I would disconnect one at a time and see if it cures your problem.
Usually a bad ground will cause the turn signals lights to light very dim but not cause them to flash as yours are doing.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Two things you have ibstalled that are connected to turn signals

I would disconnect one at a time and see if it cures your problem.
Usually a bad ground will cause the turn signals lights to light very dim but not cause them to flash as yours are doing.
Joe you are right about the ground issue.
I ride a 1500 but ground issue don't know the difference. Several years a go, I was leaving a friends house when I turned on the right turn signal the four ways flashed and a few other things that were strange. I found it was the ground wire in the big multi pin connector under the seat on the left side. I had forgotten all about that.:eek:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update guys and gals,

I went up to the dealer this morning and he had it fixed. Seems that the wires from the lighted trunk handle I installed were being pinched between the head of the bolt that holds the luggage rack on and the inner trunk lid. He showed me some wire that he had removed and it did look pinched. Also, the electrical wiring harness for the spoiler was routed to the left corner of the lid and in the way it was routed - caused it to bend in an area it was not meant to bend in. He suggested that it could be causing it to short out. he rerouted it; I did not understand his reasoning on that one.... but paid the $260 and went on my way - well, not quite - they were having a great sale on tires and mine were down to the wear indicators - so it's up there getting tires... pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the input folks. I will let you know if it is fixed!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes,

Thank you Budoka

1 - 11 of 11 Posts