Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in inspection points for potential "newbie purchase" of an '83 GL.

Greetings folks,

I am interested in finding a good value for a commuter/occasional 2-up ride motorcycle, that will be more comfortable for long trips than my current ride. My local Craigslist has an '83 Model listed by a shop that took it for a bad debt. They have the papers, and say they need it gone for $1800/best offer. The pictures should be attached. He's said that $1800 cash would take it, and I am a great negotiator, so I hope to reduce that some. He also mentioned that the original owner was an AMS oil user, and has all the service paperwork. I am not a beginner rider, and I love old bikes. My current ride is a '74 CB750, and I put over 9k on it every year, and take pride in fixing thinks well, so repairs on an '83 "Wing" are not intimidating. I also ride a '70 CB350 twin, and have been inside several auto and cycle engines/transmissions? 4-carb inductions... I have driven an early 90's Venture breifly, and have no major concerns with the larger machine. In fact, the '78 I rode last weekend "felt" lighter than my 425lb 750. I know that's a CG issue, but it was lighter off the kickstand than expected!

***Here's my question:

1) What are the key things on this model to look out for as far as service, or possible failure. Are there areas that I need to be especially concerned about?

2) Is this the "Asplencade", and does that mean it has an LCD display? If so, is this a likely source of trouble on a 27 yr old bike?

3) What is the life expectancy (I know this is vague, but I'm a GL "Newb" and want a rough guideline) for what should be a well-maintained machine? Please no wars over this!

4) Supposing this checks out, and there are no major issues, is $1800 a "reasonable" price? (It seems like it to me, but I am not as farmiliar as I would lkie to be with these machines).

Thanks in advance!

Fabricator/Chris

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First off, it's definitely an Aspy (top end model at the time). It came with the Honda/Clarion type II audio system, LCD display, onboard air compressor. Timing belts could be due for replacement along with tyres, hoses, ignition/plug wires...anything rubber could be weather/age checked. Carbs could need cleaning if the bike has been stored for a time. I'd change the oil and coolant to be safe too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I have decided to pass on it after some more reading, as the digital dash bothers me... As a hardcore "luddite", I prefer analog readings for things I want to "glance" at; especially on a 27 year-old machine. I am looking at another '83, but this time, an "interstate"; with 42k miles. The owner is bringing it for me to look at in a couple hours. He's hard up, and said $1500 would get it, and delivery (nearly 2 hrs to my shop). We'll see it soon. Thanks for taking the time to describe the rubber hose/timing belt concerns. Is there a good vendor anyone would recommend for parts? I'm in NE Georgia (Gainesville)? There's a good chance i'll be a "Goldwing owner" in a couple hours.

Cheers,

Fabricator/Chris

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sounds like a fair deal Fab. Not as many bells on the Interstate, but good bikes too. Same inspection procedures apply though. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts