Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site; I normally hangout at nakedgoldwings.com and classicgoldwings.com as they specialize in old 'Wings. But this is more user-oriented so I thought I'd find some other forum to ask this on.

My wife and I bought a nice 1980 'Wing with trailer a few years ago (after the boys were grown and gone :) ) and now we want to travel. My problem is in sifting through the tremendous amount of information out there on various products related to the subject line.

Here's what we're looking for, and I hope someone can help me find a site or search term for Google or Bing to arrive at a narrowed-down list:

We want to protect our hearing - ear plugs - although it never occured to me to use them until I read about the (possible) problem on web bike world, have a sound system so we can easily talk to one another, listen to a radio, IPod/MP3 player and XM Satellite, and have the noise level down far enough that we don't have to blast the volume to hear (my hearing is worse than hers).

So .... several questions: (1) is it common to wear ear plugs when using an intercom system? (2) is it best to find the best helmet's we can afford and then look at intercoms, or are there helmet/intercom combo's out there we can use as a start? (3) any opinions on wireless vs. wired? (4) and am I missing something we should consider?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My solution was this. I enjoy listening to music and liked to use ear buds in my helmet.Before this I was an avid promoter of using earplugs and used them all the time. Then I discovered mp3 players, The problem was this, the wind noise became so loud you would have to crank the hell out of the MP3 player in order to overcome the noise. Problem solved, although not cheaply I'm afraid. I often wondered about those expensive Shure earbuds. I finally sprung for a set and I must say they have transformed my riding experience. They block outside noise as good as any set of earplugs, including custom made, which I have for comparison. This allows me to keep the music volume way down, still hear all the little details in the music, without the wind noise. You still hear the deep buffeting to a certain degree but even with my $100 custm formed earplugs you hear that noise the same. I've worn them for many hours at a time for several days with perfect results. Also another issue with ear buds is they often come out when putting on your helmet, note the Shures though. The model I got are these...http://store.shure.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=AddItemToRequisition&SiteID=shure&Locale=en_US&productID=105432500&quantity=1&x=56&y=14 . Now they can be had on Ebay for 150- 175 bucks. There are other cheaper models but I can't comment on their performance as I only have experience with the 310's. I know nothing about intercoms but I have good experience with headphones and ear plugs and I will endorse these 100% and recommend them. No more ringing ears at the end of the day and perfect audio to enjoy.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... MIKE ... ABOUT 75% OF WIND NOISE IS ACTUALLY GENERATED BY THE HELMET ... IF I'M RIDING AROUND TOWN AT 40mph AND UNDER I DON'T WEAR MY PLUGS BUT ANYTHING ABOVE THE PLUGS ARE IN ... I NORMALLY JUST LISTEN TO THE BIKES SPEAKERS BUT IF I'M OUT ON A DAY TRIP I BRING THE IPOD W/EAR BUDS AND TRY TO KEEP THE MUSIC LEVEL DOWN ... HAPPY TRAILS ... SEMPER FI ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Ronzilla. I, too, notice the wind noise with the helmet. We have 3/4 helmets with flip-up visors. Fairly noisy with the visors down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to mention that I'm a full face helmet guy. I ride mostly with the visor up with my shades on. Just wanted you to get an idea of what wind noise I'm up against. I've never tried the half helmet or 3/4 for that matter. I also own a Ducati with loud pipes on it and even that is silenced with the headphones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure says something good about them; thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ride US 81 in Virginia every day back and forth to work. the road noise can be impressive with the trucks and cars. i have found that the ear buds called "Skull Candy" do a great job of killing noise. use them when i mow the lawn as well. comfortable as well and doesn't interfere with the helmet. i route the wire under my shirt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts