Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have thought about the wind noise in the headphones of the 1800 intercomm. Has anyone thought about adding a simple normally open momentary push button inline with the microphone feed line? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if it has already failed. I would think that if you would put this switch in the line, the mic would be off all the time. Then, when the driver or passenger wanted to talk, they could simply push the button which would complete the mic line, and talk. While it wouldn't be a perfect fix, it would be cheap and stop the continuous wind noise problem, or at least I think it would. But, like I said, the simplest does not always work...

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PTT switch

Thanks for the info.... I guess what I am asking is, instead of paying $75 to $150 for a "system", is there any reason anyone has found that would prevent simply adding an off/on switch in line with the microphone? I just want to turn off the mic when not used. I don't care about auto mute, push to talk CB, anything... just turn off the mic to stop the wind noise that mother Honda didn't think we cared about... anyone have a pinout for the headset connectors on the Honda, that would be a big help....:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi CHopin114... I'm trying to fix my problem without too much added technology. I believe that the J&M adapter does just that, breaks the microphone circuit for the intercom. I'm leaning towards putting the switch in the hot lead for the mic as opposed to the ground. I'm thinking this would maybe help prevent any sort of ground fault or ground loop problems. Small PTT switch maybe mounted somewhere on the right side of the passenger seat so the boss can reach it. Trying to find some Momentary Normally Open Waterproof switches, and go from there. One of the forum members sent me a pin out for the headphone connector, so will probably just go under the seat and make the cut in the line there. But, as always, I'm open to another way of thinking....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm planning on wiring mine so the mic's power up with the CB TX switches, just haven't gotten around to it yet, should be a good rainy day project.

Hello all,

I have thought about the wind noise in the headphones of the 1800 intercomm. Has anyone thought about adding a simple normally open momentary push button inline with the microphone feed line? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if it has already failed. I would think that if you would put this switch in the line, the mic would be off all the time. Then, when the driver or passenger wanted to talk, they could simply push the button which would complete the mic line, and talk. While it wouldn't be a perfect fix, it would be cheap and stop the continuous wind noise problem, or at least I think it would. But, like I said, the simplest does not always work...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would you be so kind as to send me the pin out for the cords?

Thanks.

Hi CHopin114... I'm trying to fix my problem without too much added technology. I believe that the J&M adapter does just that, breaks the microphone circuit for the intercom. I'm leaning towards putting the switch in the hot lead for the mic as opposed to the ground. I'm thinking this would maybe help prevent any sort of ground fault or ground loop problems. Small PTT switch maybe mounted somewhere on the right side of the passenger seat so the boss can reach it. Trying to find some Momentary Normally Open Waterproof switches, and go from there. One of the forum members sent me a pin out for the headphone connector, so will probably just go under the seat and make the cut in the line there. But, as always, I'm open to another way of thinking....

·
Registered
52 Posts
The J and M controller mentioned by Fossil was worth the price, for the peace it brought. It was an easy install, in fact, it took longer to put the seat back on, lining up them darn holes, then it did to install the controller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts