Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a skull cap rider, but now with the wife riding 2 up and we plan a longer riding season. I am looking into a set of full face helmets. And we now ride with a goldwing club. Seems like everyone in the club has a intercom either on their bike or in the helmet. So I am looking for some info on a reasonably priced system to keep in touch with the wife and the group. It would be nice to find one that can be worn in both style of helmets. I have seen the bluetooth sets on E-Bay, but not sure how they work. Do they have channels? can i talk to just the wife while riding in group?? Need some Schooling here

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Your comment about others in the group using headsets plugged into the bike or units on the helmets + saying you want to talk to the wife and the others means:
To talk to just your wife all you need is headsets. If you want to talk to the others with headsets plugged in their bikes then all need CB's. If you want to talk to others with units on their helmets then all must have the same units on the same freq's and be riding very close to each other.
Would also suggest looking at modular helmets in lieu of full face.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
allien: The two most popular wireless headsets are the " Sena Bluetooth ", link ( http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh5.php?tab_menu=overview ) and the " Scala Rider ", link ( http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g4 ). Of course they are mutually exclusive of each other as far as interfacing : Sena's can talk only to other Sena's and Scala's can talk only to other Scala's. Of course a Sena rider could call a Scala rider using his cell phone, and vise verse. If you're looking at a wireless headset pick the type the riders have that you would want to talk to and match up.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
So a Sena can't communicate with a Scala system or neither to a CB system correct?? all riders must have the same system to talk??? Don't sound like i can have a private word to the wife while linked up in the group???
Nope. It appears that motorcycle bluetooth is really in it's infancy still. There's no standard that the industry has agreed to, so the units don't talk to one another. Maybe one day...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You talk to the passenger via the intercom system which is standard on all wings. No one else can hear the intercom talk.
To communicate with another bike you must have similar systems on all bikes.
Yes a CB is a dated system but, is still the choice of the masses.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
So a Sena can't communicate with a Scala system or neither to a CB system correct?? all riders must have the same system to talk??? Don't sound like i can have a private word to the wife while linked up in the group??? my 86 wing has a CB no antenna, haven't even turned the power on don't know if it is savable or not (guess i should at least twist the knob huh)If it does work then what I can just get a headset to plug into the mic plug right ?? , after replacing the antenna of course
If you're group riding " the usual protocol is the leader and the tail gunner will have CB or other communication with each other. The man is the middle is just along for the ride. You follow the bike ahead of you. Hand signal will be passed down through the line. A group ride can get pretty gesticulating: hand signals waving all over the place. First and foremost start out being able to communicate with your passenger. Get two plug in head sets and enjoy the ride. The group communication will evolve with time and need.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Check with Sierra Electronics, they have a wide range of headsets and other electronic equipment to fit each person's budget. I've dealt with them a few times and have no problems with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bluetooth

I have a Scala rider multiset. The pros are that you can bluetooth connect with your cell phone, gps, passenger etc without wires. You and your passenger can even walk around the parking lot with helmets on and still talk.
The Scala works excellent for cell phones.

The drawbacks are it does require some fiddling around once in a while to get connected. It can get technical sometimes so if you are not tech savvy....beware!
Personally now that I have the Wing I think I might get a couple of J&M headsets....I'm really not that interested in talking on the cell phone while riding and the rest I can get through the J&M...I'll be wired but I don't mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.