Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be beating the forum with stupid questions......You guys are the only GW people I know to ask
Tell me about the communication system. Is the headset sold by honda ok to get>
Is the trunk rack functional to hold a bag or too small and ends up cosmetic:confused:

I am really excited about getting this bike...I have owned alot of motorcycles but this takes the cake.....:D

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I have never had the Honda headsets but I would assume it would work for basic communications between rider and passenger. I don't know how it would be for music. I have always used J&M headsets and have never had an issue with them and the music sounds good also. I also have the Kuryakyn trunk rack and find it very useful for carrying stuff like rain gear, sweatshirts, hats, cameras, maps, jackets, etc. You can't overload them but they save having to get into the trunk and side bags all the time.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I have never had the Honda headsets but I would assume it would work for basic communications between rider and passenger. I don't know how it would be for music. I have always used J&M headsets and have never had an issue with them and the music sounds good also. I also have the Kuryakyn trunk rack and find it very useful for carrying stuff like rain gear, sweatshirts, hats, cameras, maps, jackets, etc. You can't overload them but they save having to get into the trunk and side bags all the time.
The Honda Line head set is made by J & M, the difference is that sometimes they are designed a little difference. I had this problem with my headset.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
J&M Headset seem to be the popular brand. They come in different price ranges and some say " you get what you pay for ". I have none right now, so I'm not speaking from experience. The " Elite " series is about $100 ( $179 ) more than the base model. Is it $100 better sound ? I don't know yet. When I finally get the trunk rack I will get the bag and put the rain gear in it. Rain gear must always be carried, so it's going to tie up some space.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I use Honda line ones right now and they are ok, have yet to try J&M so can't tell you which is the best. They let you talk to each other and hear the music and that b what I want :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
i use the j&m headsets without any issues i also have the luggage rack and use the tourmaster duffel bag with enough clothes to go for the weekend rain gear stays in right side bag along with other essentials so it is never forgotton.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I use Honda line ones right now and they are ok, have yet to try J&M so can't tell you which is the best. They let you talk to each other and hear the music and that b what I want :)
boss: What's the price on the Hondaline ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ouch

Hondaline
passenger control $169
openface mic ear piece $215
closed face $245

considerably more cash than J&M

Ive got this $1000 honda money to blow and dont know exactly what to spend on.......:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Hondaline
passenger control $169
openface mic ear piece $215
closed face $245

considerably more cash than J&M

Ive got this $1000 honda money to blow and dont know exactly what to spend on.......:confused:
That's a tough one. How about the lighted rear spoiler ? That would be my first choice.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Tooth,

Use J&M's so don't much about the Hondaline, but the rack on my 1500 is functional, carries a bag for raingear & cover. The one recommendaion I'll give you is to pick up Star washers for under the posts that will add strength where the rack bolts to the trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
+1 on what everyone else is saying.
Foss is right re: stars to distribute weight.
Rain gear a good choice as anything bulky but little weight is safest it would seem. I have heard not more than 20 lbs but I wouldn't put on more than about 5 or so. It isn't worth ruining the lid and the hassle.

Sounds like $$$ for comm is dependant on what is it used for. If you want to talk then cost is the bottom line. If great sound is the primary issue, I would dig a little deeper to see if additional cost does in fact equal better sound.

For me, the bike speakers quality is poor. It doesn't matter how much you spend, smaller than 61/2 inch just can't produce great sound. That said, anything, even $5 dollar headsets or earbuds beat the heck out of 4 inch speakers.

I opted for J&Ms because of popularity. I can't tell you how they compare. I can say they work fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tooth--I would go with the lighted rear spoiler, looks good and provides lots of stop lite visibility, then I would highly consider a back rest, vent wings for comfort, and the lower driving lights for front visibility.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Check Wingstuff for J&M headsets, I got mine and the wife's for our IS33's 79.00 each plus s&h (and a bit of exchange) and my Hondaline set for my f/f Arai was $300 through our shop:eek: earpieces work fine on the Honda set, but the mic is way oversensitive to road noise (I may not have the mic set quite right yet either since I wear the IS33 so much). Chopin is right about the spoiler, that was one of the first things I added along with the highway boards. Then the trunk rack and Kuryakin bag, lower wind wings and Tulsa mirror wings (those are nice for the spring and fall cool wind deflection). I had the saddlebag liners left over from my 1500 trike (they are a tad large, but they work) and a trunk liner bag came from Wingstuff also. I added the Kury armrests, and a Utopia backrest is next and there is the J&M passenger audio controller on the way. So much to do, so little time.;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got 2 J&M headsets for the price of 1 Hondaline set. They work OK for what I want and that is to talk to the rear passenger. Music is not that great through them, sound is better on the bike speakers.

Just got my lighted rear spoiler today from directline.com. Will install tomorrow. Will look good with the Kury chrome LED saddlebag and trunk trim from Wingstuff. Put the fog lights on last week and they really change the front end sooooo much. Now I just need the Hondaline chrome rotor covers with ring of fire, Utopia beckrest, chrome lower cowl, etc, etc.......

I hope the snow melts soon......I'm running out of money and the mortgage is due but at least I got my priorities straight.....right guys?

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a relatively new Goldwing owner, I contacted J&M to obtain information about their headsets. Per a J&M rep, the Hondaline headsets are, in fact, made by J&M for Honda and are their low-line headsets (The Performance Series I believe). Again, per a J&M rep, J&Ms new Elite Series headsets are supposed to sound much better, and the mic is also supposed to be far superior to the Hondaline and/or J&M Perforance Series. I've not tested either so I can't say from personal experience. As my wife and I both have dated helmets, I'm saving for a set of Arai helmets with the J&M Elite Series headsets installed in them. It's a pretty pricey investment, but how much is your life worth, and how much is clear and crisp communication with your passenger/other riders in your group and for the audiophiles, good sound, worth?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi

Not sure if you can get it in the States but I use a system called Autocom, depending on the actual sysem you buy you can add GPS MP3 Bluetooth, it also has the ability to add a radio so you can chat with other bikes, what I find cool is how the music drops in volume when you speak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts