Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. The bike is an 08 and never used the intercom till now. Headsets installed. Neither mic is transmitting to the other. Headsets are new.

Volume adjusted up. Mute set about mid range and both plugged in. Hearing some background noise, but that is about all. Intercom Icon shows on the dash.

Doubtless, I am doing something wrong, although this does not seem like rocket science.

Stereo comes through fine on both headsets and fidelity is fine. Clearly the speakers are working. Connections are all tight.

???

:mad:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm not exactly sure of all the radio controls on the 1800 as i have a 1500, but have you checked the intercom volume control? On my 1500 I have a mute button which is not adjustable. Have you owned this bike since new or has a PO installed passenger controls?
How far away from your mouth is the mic boom? Some mic's need to very close to your mouth to pick up a signal to transmitt, though they seem to pick up wind noise just fine.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possible issue

The bike does not seem to have *mic mutes* installed. I did get the bike used. Also, I don't think the mic is muted, but will check this morning.

The probable issues is that the fellow changed cords from a Honda headset with one from an HD for a full face helmet set. I noted on the internet that the impedance is different on Honda speakers. Also, it is probable that, although the connector plugs in, that it is wired differently from Harley.

I told the guy to just order the right one, but that I needed it shortly for a major trip. It did not occur to me last night that the fellow *thought* swapping connectors would work, but had never actually tried it. Ditto, the fellow he asked to see if it would work.

Or, perhaps, some bad HD mojo evil spirit thing has now infected the Goldwing. The next thing you know, I will be blipping the throttle at lights, installing open pipes and pulling one spark plug wire to get that proper engine feel....

:eek:

Dart

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
Or, perhaps, some bad HD mojo evil spirit thing has now infected the Goldwing. The next thing you know, I will be blipping the throttle at lights, installing open pipes and pulling one spark plug wire to get that proper engine feel....

:eek:

Dart[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The HD plugs are different than the Honda ones. Here is the Gold Wing headset pin configuration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Handy diagram

Joe,

Thanks for the diagram. I ordered proper Honda sets from Wingstuff. I have a few patch wires handy. I will jury rig an input mic and test the system. If there is a fault, I will leave the bike at the local Honda dealer and get it fixed.

It is more likely that the wires were messed up on the HD / Honda horror I was sold. :rolleyes:

Dart

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed it.

First, the J and M unit worked perfectly. Reading directions for proper install. The hybrid HD and Honda unit did not work, despite what they said at the helmet place.

These were $20 less than the inferior quality unit I bought at the bike helmet place.

Wingstuff: I ordered the J and M set late on Sunday. Told them I wanted it quick. Got it on Wednesday, as promised. They actually called back.

I bought chaps from Colorado Chaps last week. Custom fit, one week. Beautiful tailoring, with knee and shin protection. In Cordura. I mention it because, like wingstuff, they delivered promptly and as advertised. Colorado Chaps are MADE in AMERICA. Even better. Nylon, Cordura, Ballistic Nylon or Kevlar. Various colors.

Ride safe. Pacific Northwest, here we come this week!

Dart

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Congrats! Great time to escape the valley heat. Don't forget those of us that you left behind. Some pictures would be nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts