Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eureka...

Well fellow Wingers, I think I have solved the problem. Problem was this: You get on the bike with a passenger and select Intercom. The wind noise from your helmet is so loud that you have to cut the intercom off and use hand signals. How many of us have that problem? I have tried everything from tape over the mic, to cotton over the mic, to plastic sleeves, band aids , double wind socks..well you get my drift. I have tried everything I knew to stop the noise. Stuffed socks, handkerchiefs in the helmet and just in general tried till I was blue in the face.

Today I was walking through Walmart and came upon the final solution. "Finger Cots"....I saw them and thought, well, what if? They are water proof, but are they wind proof? They are $1.78 for a box of 36 and there are 3 sizes in each box. Took out a small one, took the wind sock off the mic, placed the finger cot over the mic and put the wind sock back on. BINGO....I could hit the Intercom button at 70 Mph and turn it on and I could not tell whether it was on or not. Total equality and no noticeable difference between on and off. Next question was...How will this affect transmission of voice over intercom and CB. Well, I don't know about the intercom part but it slightly mutes my voice transmitted over the CB. You may have to get the mic closer to your lips with this but still a com check at about 1/2 mile was good.

So, if you have this problem, try my $1.78 fix for a million dollar problem. And by the way, they are in the band aid section at Walmart.

Let us know if you try the fix and what your results are. I sure hope they are as good as mine... And by the way for those that don't know what finger cots are, they are the little rubber doo hickies that people put on their fingers when sorting papers and such. They are sold under the name "First Aid Cots".

Yippee.....:D:D:eek:Isaac

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Great find Isaac. I tried tips of rubber gloves. This should work better.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Good idea, I found that turning down the intercom volume also helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been recommending the finger cots for several years and even carried them along at shows to pass out to customers to try. The only downside is heat, they have a tendency to melt together if left in packaging and the heat gets to them.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
It sure seems to me like it would limit your volume when transmitting on the CB or talking to your passenger on the intercom.

I do get the wind noise mainly from the passenger microphone through the intercom but I am planning on putting on the passenger switch that kills the microphone unless it is switched on to talk.
JMHO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts