Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geico is putting exception clauses on motorcycle insurance policies for participating in long distance rides.

My Geico Insurance (page 7 called EXCLUSIONS) and I just took the liberty to cut and paste the exception here:

"to bodily injury losses sustained while your insured motorcycle is used in, or in preparation or practice for:
any marathon-type contest, use in any competition and/or sporting event, or while on any race course or facility designed for racing; or
any contest which sanctions continuous riding for 24 or more hours and/or mileage accumulation in excess of 500 miles per 24 hour period."

Found this information to be worthy of posting in this particular forum as it pertains to the people who are considering this activity.

For whatever reason this was previously deleted.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow I did not know this, I will check my Geico policy and get back to you.
If I am reading it right were not allowed to ride more than 500 miles per day???
But how would they know how many miles you went unless you told them?

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If I am reading it right were not allowed to ride more than 500 miles per day???
What the exception is about is a planned marathon ride of 500 miles or more in a 24 hour period. By many state laws, marathon rides are considered a form of racing and it is illegal on public roadways. Collecting receipts from gas stations.... many of these riders carry signs and have their pictures taken at stops to "further prove" that they were there... which gives more evidence to accident investigators. When there is a fatality, it takes many hours to clear the roadway, as everything is photographed and cataloged. The mileage log would be one of those items recorded. The insurance investigators are paid pretty good at keeping their money, their money. And when the claims are high...believe it or not, they are reading everything.

Also, many IB riders register on various motorcycle websites and boast of their next feat. This gives the insurance investigator a little more "evidence" of when the event started and the proposed ending point.

Most of the IB riders are not aware of the insurance exclusions.... or they choose to ignore the warning, such as drunk drivers do when they see "do not drink and drive ads."

The exceptions is listed in the index on the front page of your policy. My Geico policy listed these exceptions on page 7 of the policy.

I wonder if Progressive has them for this activity. Allstate?

There is another whole thread on this at:

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11542

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignorance of the insurance exclusion is not a good defense. It might work convincing a friend or a co-worker that you got screwed by the insurance company.... but your claim will go unpaid.

One's boss might not appreciate the 6 week stay in the hospital and the 6 month rehabilitation after the fact for doing something that is illegal and it voids ones insurance. Might get fired with cause on that. Not to mention the fire crackers the wife is gonna light under the blankets.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Larry I cant thank you enough for sharing this, I am so glad you came back.
I thought I was on top of my game and figured I knew enough to keep me out of trouble. I guess the more I learn the more I need to learn. Thanks again.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The exclusion also states: use in any competition and/or sporting event.

So at the local motorcycle rally when they are having a friendly competition of how slow one can ride a course.... and you drop and damage your bike, twist your ankle.... you could also be excluded from the policy. Unless one is not honest on the insurance report... which is fraud by definition.

Or you are running one of those figure 8 courses that are popular. Same thing could apply.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Larry I cant thank you enough for sharing this, I am so glad you came back.
I thought I was on top of my game and figured I knew enough to keep me out of trouble. I guess the more I learn the more I need to learn. Thanks again.
Thank you for your kind words.

Some are not so pleased about this information. I didn't write these... I was merely educating myself on stuff and found it worthy information to pass on. I hope it helps someone, somewhere.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Larry. You missed your calling. You should have been an Insurance Claim Adjuster. You would have saved them a ton of money.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well I will never be in shape enough for an Iron Butt ride, more like a candy ride:D
However I can see me trying one of the other mentioned events now I can see I will just watch. Thanks again. can you email me more info that you may have found out that I might need to know. I have been riding for many years, while my riding skills are OK I can see that I have much to learn about responsible riding.:cool:

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Larry. You missed your calling. You should have been an Insurance Claim Adjuster. You would have saved them a ton of money.
My girl friend made a ton of money in the insurance business. She retired at 50.

Thank you for your humor.

I think you missed your calling. Instead of fixing doors, you should of been writing novels. Even travel brochures could of used your wit. Hell... I would enjoy a "how do" instruction manual written by you. You couldn't hide that humor and wit if you tried.

But your customers and co workers get to experience it.

We get to here on the forum as well.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Has anyone checked their insurance policy?
Larry I have never once exceeded 23 hours so even if my insurance had that stipulation it would not matter,but it does not.... furthermore again it is insulting to see you be so negative towards riders that are trying to accomplish something. I realize you have a need to troll, but the members posting in the IBA section and myself would appreciate you not be so negative. Perhaps try posting on a topic you like.

The IBA wants it riders to stop and rest...sleep. It requires you to show that you slept or at least stopped to rest. I turned in all my hotel recepts to them...one for every night. So no rider will be riding over twenty four hours....with out stopping and resting by the rules. 500 miles is like a jaunt to the store for some of us...but again one must know their limitations. FYI I will take and negative remarks towards IBA riders personally they are some of the most dedicated riders around.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
They would not know..furthermore..if I had them as my inusrance I would dump them and let them know why...then when others did it.....they would realize it is impacting their bottom line. 500 miles aday really:eek: that is sad and ridiculous, I ride becuase I love the freedom so some guy who most likely does not ride is going to dictated when and how long we can ride...I don't think so.....my insurance has no such ammendment or requirement.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Larry I have never once exceeded 23 hours so even if my insurance had that stipulation it would not matter,but it does not.... furthermore again it is insulting to see you be so negative towards riders that are trying to accomplish something. I realize you have a need to troll, but the members posting in the IBA section and myself would appreciate you not be so negative. Perhaps try posting on a topic you like.

The IBA wants it riders to stop and rest...sleep. It requires you to show that you slept or at least stopped to rest. I turned in all my hotel recepts to them...one for every night. So no rider will be riding over twenty four hours....with out stopping and resting by the rules. 500 miles is like a jaunt to the store for some of us...but again one must know their limitations. FYI I will take and negative remarks towards IBA riders personally they are some of the most dedicated riders around.
First of all, thank you for your post explaining some of my concerns.

Although it appears as though I started out to condemn long distance riding, it is not the case. I do diligence on all decisions I make. I research the hell out of things. You can't imagine the amount of reading I did prior to buying a car tire and installing it on my bike. On any real estate transaction I have been involved in... the seller ended up having some terse words towards my investigation / doing diligence. I try to anticipate problems and resolve them in my mind before I act on anything.

I have several friends who have done IB rides and others who are considering it. I have been asked to participate with some local riders who are excited about it. After giving it considerable thought and doing my research, I found that it is illegal in some states. Further, that I checked my own insurance and found the exception for marathon rides. That alarmed me, so that was the reasoning behind my posts.

Excuse my passion, but I felt that there are some people being persuaded to do something that they had not fully researched and I took it on to throw cold water on a hot idea. I knew there would be social repercussions from members for doing so. My feeling was, and still is, that if I inform someone, and they make a good decision for them, then I did a good deed.

Note, that I did receive some pm's from other forum members who were supportive of my postings, but did not post on this forum as they saw how it was being received by the group at large. I am not alone in my position.

So I post what I find. I posted strongly against the 10 in 10. At the same time, I was praying and pulling for your safe completion of it. No ill will intended towards anyone. However, my opinion of this activity is well documented in my posts. We are at the opposite ends of the spectrum on this, no doubt. This debate did not start here on this forum, nor will it end here. Many feel these marathon rides are unsafe and foolish.

Nothing promotes research more than good adult discussion. I posted state laws. I posted the exception off of my motorcycle policy. Had I decided that this is something I would have wanted to do, these obstacles would have to have been addressed in my mind prior to doing any other planning.

No matter what or who is in charge, I ride my own ride.

Again, my intent was not to insult or offend anyone. My intention was to start a discussion regarding the issues that I brought up.

Just because we disagree on religion, politics or anything else does not give us license to be rude and mean towards each other.

I believe that mutual respect and admiration are the key components to any relationship. Without those, there is nothing.

I don't know you or anything about you. I immediately held you in contempt for your passion for doing these long distance rides. I was wrong in viewing you on a one sided thing. I take responsibility for that. I am sorry for doing so and I realize that a few of my posts were pointed at you personally and I could/should have been taken to the woodshed for doing it. I was wrong.

That does not change my opinion on the long distance rides. Just like many nurses in the emergency hospital rooms call motorcycles - donor-cycles and some Wingers refer to sport bikes as zoom splats, I feel this activity is unsafe and not for me. JMHO.

In my last post on this thread, I asked an important question, "has anyone else checked their insurance policy." The fact that a different thread was started about that and a discussion on that thread pleased me as although I pissed a few off, I made a few think about what they were doing. That was always my main intent.

Indeed, my posts were negative towards the activity I tried to be respectful in my posts even though it was against the majority opinion. I also felt that at times I had to defend myself, because I had a different opinion.

Perhaps there is a little better understanding of me as a result of this post.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Larry insurance companies do not always pay for medical injuries in many states that would concern me more...but the listing of an arbitrary number like 500 miles as the limit ....well I personally would dump that insurance company like a hot potato. There are companies that do cover it....and yes in some states ...not a lot there are laws that were directed at racing the intent of those laws were to eliminate racing at high speeds, that said anyone that does IBA knows that the ideal long distance ride is doing the speed limit..to improve gas mileage and minimize stops. It is more about endurance, distance and perserverance....I had one day where I only covered 700 miles do to traffic...but I hung in there.

You have made your views apparrent...but these threads are for people interested in doing the rides....for me I was told I was too old by my best friend when I did my first one....I wanted to prove to myself that I was not too old. It is not for everyone.. The IBA limits time and distance with in a twenty four hour period. I have attempted myself 10 IBA rides I have complered 7, 3 rides were stopped by me either because it would not have been safe and prudent to proceed.

in the future if you want to discuss something with me or have a problem with me I would be more than glad to banter with you on a PM...if you want to know why someone who was not on the site long became a moderator ..just ask me in the PM...Motorcycle.com is a large company and owns many many sites...I have been a mod...for years...I came here becuase of my love of the Honda Goldwing which by the way I also credit with my ability to do such a long and taxing ride...

I hope some day we can be able to do a ride together....it is something I love ...ride safe ...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Larry when you get ready to leave let me know and most definitely I will have coffee and ride along for a while..That time of year is risky isn't it...northern california, oregon and washington snow ice and cold....or are you talking a car?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
By the way Larry.....Just for kicks and giggles, I took the liberty of checking the mileage from Columbus, N.M to Belton, TX. That was a 1 day ride for you two and you spent the night in Belton. Guess you know that it was 650 miles. :D Isaac.....just havin fun with you....

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's not all that Geico excludes. Don't let them know that you have a radar detector. You will be dropped.

Wait until ObamaCare is fully implemented. Big brother will really be in control.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
The wife and I will ride 600 miles just for lunch.

500 miles? The federal govt. allows me to drive 600 miles (legally) or so as long as I do not go over 11 hours of driving time....then a ten hour break before I start driving again. Say bye-bye to Geico if they were my insurance carrier.

Hell, there are some health Insurance companies that wont pay a claim if you get injured while riding a legally licensed & insured motorcycle. Yes even if you were stopped @ a light & someone rear ended you. They sure will take your $$$$ but sure hate to pay out! it's called DISCRIMINATION.

Thankyou for calling (your ins. co. here) & have a nice day!

Make me puke.....

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.