Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've recently purchased my first motorcycle and enjoy every minute on it. It's a 1982 Interstate & I've been told that the current radio is not factory. It seems to be just an average pioneer car radio with a CD player and speakers on each side just above the gauge cluster. I want to replace it with a radio/cd player that will also accept an ipod usb.

1) Do they actually make bike specific cd players that don't skip while you're riding?

2) The radio loses all of it's presets when the bike is turned off. Is there anyway to wire the new one properly w/o going directly to the battery terminal with a fusible lead wire?

Also, I've surf all over the net. Where's there a decent place to get accessorries for a 28 y/o bike? I've used ChromeWorld, Ebay, Saber Cycle, Baker's Hobby Shop, etc. It seems that I just have to "google" 'til I find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Roman

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa, and congrats on your new (to you) Wing. May I make a suggestion that you skip the CD player. They take up precious room and are expensive. Perhaps a good iPod with the proper connections into the audio system would be a better solution. JMHO. Whatever you get, enjoy and ride safe...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
on the back there should be a red wire which powers the radio, the po has this connected correctly. the yellow wire should have power even with the ignition switch off. the yellow wire keeps the time and stations in memory

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
There used to be a mounbting system made by Cyclesound for motorcycles, but I haven't seen one in several years. TW is right about the CD player. I'd go with a marine grade am/fm player such as the one Jensen makes and you could likely mount it in the side of the fairing lower facing you. The Jensen radio head rerquires an i-pod connector cable btw. Not sure what you will find for speakers these days, the Hondaline ones were no great shakes back in the day, but you may find a set that you could upgrade with more modern drivers; maybe craigslist or e-bay?

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
budoka is correct about the 'marine grade' stereo for your bike and you may also get good quality waterproof speakers at a boat shop too. A boat CD player wouldn't skip as easily since boats don't always run in smooth water. A friend I know has put boat stereos in off road jeeps and jeeps that drivers have no tops on and the interior is exposed to the elements.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts