Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of buying an 06 base GW. I would like a gps system, can u install one on your handle bars, do u have to have some kind of bracket made, do 06's have some kind of power outlet that I could plug the gps into? trying to explain electronics to me is like explaining it to a caveman, so please keep it simple ; thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'm thinking of buying an 06 base GW. I would like a gps system, can u install one on your handle bars, do u have to have some kind of bracket made, do 06's have some kind of power outlet that I could plug the gps into? trying to explain electronics to me is like explaining it to a caveman, so please keep it simple ; thanks
Wingstuff.com has a ball mount that bolts on to the bars. The ball mount will work with a Garmin GPS. I use the suction mount on the windshield. All you need to do is wire up a Cig lighter outlet with a 20 amp fuse from the battery. I have my 12 volt Cig Lighter outlet mounted in the right fairing pocket door. Use a good water resistant outlet. My Garmin isn't waterproof so I use a zip lock bag to cover it in the rain. I don't use it unless I'm going someplace really new,

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
+1 for the Ram Mount system. It's the best. Have one on my 09 with a Garmin Nuvi 680 widescreen. Other than glare off of the screen it works great. The unit can transmit through the radio on a lowend FM frequency so you can hear the directions right through your headset. Maps are also upgradeable on the handheld units.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just set up satellite radio on my '09. Got everything I need from Sierra electronics out of Ohio. They had the whole package that included all of the electronics - meaning I didn't have to get the 12 volt plug. The unit plugged directly into the on-board plugs and compensated for the voltage difference of the radio. I'm sure they would have something for the GPS. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts