Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install the Flash2Pass transmitter on my '06 Wing and the instructions from the vendor really suck pond water! Any one done this that can give me some useful suggestions as to how to get to the right wiring harness for the high beam light? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
This thread caught my eye as I am a garage door mechanic. Never ran across this little gadget here yet. Interesting that it could tell your light pattern from some unauthorized one. One of those " How they do that ? " reaction. Most of the riders here only know to ask about the mini key- chain remote. If I " had " a garage I would certainly put one on and then I could give you advise instead of just having my curiosity piqued. But I hope to follow your saga through to its successful ending for my own professional edification. Let's " Git -R -Done ".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A slick little device

Hi Chopin114 -
I installed the wall receiver in line with my existing garage door opener and a transmitter in my son's Victory Hammer. You click the high beam button twice and it sends a radio signal to the receiver and opens the door. It has a range of about 75 feet. Quick and easy on his bike, but the GL1800 is a bit more complicated. I purchased the wiring harness jumper with the extra transmitter so it should be an easy install if I can find where the wiring harness to the high beam is located and how to get to it to do the install. I hope someone out there in "wing land" can give me some good directions.
BS

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Bs: I looked further into the product on line and my first impression was the " receiver " had an optic eye. A problem with the picture or me is left up to a jury of my peers only! Now the concept makes sense: activate the " transmitter with a pulse burst from the high beams and the " sender " communicates with the interior receiver. Ask " joe in calf " about the wiring of the Golwing, so far he is the preeminant purveyor of Goldwing information. I have an '08 and no garage! I'm too new on the former but well seasoned on the latter. Where the heck is Joe when you need him. I put in a personal call to him.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
BS: An after-thought of an idle mind. Since receiver seems to be just activated by two electric pulses, could not the unit be tapped into any circuit that applying two distinct pulses would satisfy the receiver; i.e., the rear brake lights, horn , turn signal, etc. I can see the ergonomic advantage of using the high-beam pulse and the annoyance of using the horn circuit ( p.s. that is some horn on that Goldwing! ). The brake light circuit has potential for ease of tapping into and trunk mounting reasons: the only draw back is activating it on the move. Don't mean to belabor it, I was just thinking outside the box. " He who first begins to think, put some portion of the world in jeporady ." ~ J. Dewey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chopin114 - A very interesting thought. I believe you are correct that any circuit would probably do. The horn would be annoying to the neighbors I am afraid. The brake lights would probably do. However, on my son's Victory, he has to hit the high beam switch twice and fairly evenly within 2 seconds for the transmitter to send the signal correctly. That may be a bit more awkward with the brake. Thanks for thinking "outside of the box" and it may come to that if I can't figure out the high beam connection. Joe in Calif hasn't responded to my private message and I could not get anyone on the phone yesterday from Wingstuff (where I purchased the transmitter.) I will keep trying. With a foot of snow outside and more coming in regularly, I am not really in a big hurry. Stay tuned!
BSWilkes

·
Registered
263 Posts
Using the vehicle's opener

I keep with the KISS strategy in all things possible. I just utilize my garage door opener from my F150 and I used a small piece of velcro on the right side of the dash of the Wing (I am righty), and as I move up the drive, I hit the button and the door opens every time. The F150 doesn't fit in the garage, but the wing fits perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your input. Good news so far! After a call to Electrical Connections who supplied the jumper wiring harness for the F2P transmitter (which was not helpful), I called WingStuff (where I purchased both the F2P and the jumper) and actually found someone who knew what they were talking about. I removed the left glove box, trim, and headlight adjustment panel and found a boot with the needed female end of the wiring harness. It was a bear to get to but I finally wrestled it to the surface and plugged the jumper harness into it. I then installed the transmitter in the left glove box and reassembled the entire left side of the bike fairing. After resetting the receiver to contect to the new transmitter, I tried it and it actually worked!!! from inside my garage. I still have to reassemble the right side of the fairing because the initial instructions from F2P directed me to remove the right glove box and install somewhere in there. I will let you know if it works outside of my garage as intended.

Bottom line - it isn't worth the effort, hassle, and expense to buy the Flash2Pass garage door opener (should have stayed with the original opener from my car like Commander K). I asked Electrical Connections why they didn't provide detailed installation instructions (or instructions of any kind) since it only works with a Goldwing GL1800. They replied that they just didn't do it! Wingstuff, in answer to the same question, said that the manufacturer won't provide them and then told them that if it was too much of hassle to sell the product without the proper instructions, then quit selling it. I cannot imagine a company wanting to sell their product would adopt that kind of attitude, but there it is! If anyone needs help installing this device, I would be happy to help. Ride with a smile! BSWilkes

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't see any posts here on how to configure a standard garage remote using the passenger PTT ( push to talk) switch? I am installing it as soon as I receive an extra remote that I have on order. Much less expensive than the Flash to pass. Probably $13.00 for the remote a couple connectors and time to by pass the switch in the remote and wire it to the plug for the PTT swithch. Oh my bike is an '06 and the connector is connector 30 under the passenger seat. I will add a new thread when complete. I may even take the battery out and hot wire it but batteries last a long time so that may not be worth it.

Just Joined today looks like some good info here if sort throught the fluff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow Chopin114, if it were only true. However, a disappointing update. Flash2Pass works in my garage but the minute I back down the driveway, even 5 feet and close the garage door, it will not reopen it. Apparently, the signal is just not strong enough to penetrate an aluminum-wrapped styrofoam core door. Go figure! I even moved the receiver to the front edge of my garage, positioning it right next to the garage door and still no response when the door is closed. This is one expensive garage door "closer", because it certainly doesn't function as an "opener"! I just don't understand why or how this produt received such high marks in customer reviews.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Interference. I take it the Victory has no range issue ? If not, your bike could be generating the "interference ". The metal door could be acting as a signal barrier; but if so, all signal of that frequency should suffer. I have known cars to have your problem: If the driver held the remote outside his window it would work. This is a very rare case, but it does happen. Where is the transmitter buried in your bike ? Can you temporarily move it to an external position on the Wing ? " Interference " is a hit-or-miss problem in our industry because we dont have equipment to measure or detect all the " RF " signals swirling around a particular environment, and re-tuning the units to a different frequency requires more than a tuning screw driver. To re-cap: If your son's bike has no range issue, let's focus on your bike first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a new member (today) and have installed several of the remote mounted garage door openers in my motorcycles. First, I buy myself a another Chamberlain single button opener off ebay. Usually about 5 or so dollars used. They are 12V, so I solder 16 ga. leads onto the tabs located inside the battery comp. this powers it from the M/C battery. Don't forget to use an inline fuse for protection. Next, unsnap and remove the circuit-board and the long plastic button. Solder 22 ga. leads onto the PC-board where the contact points are for the push-button contacts. These wires are easy to pull if heat shrunk togehter and then can be routed thru the frame to a remote button located anywhere thats convenient. I get the black momentary buttons from Radio Shack for 2.95 ea. Set the DIP switches on the PC-board to match your opener and replace it in the remote. Replace the remote cover after notching it for those leads now protruding from it. Cover the open slot in the top where the original push bar was located with tape to keep moisture out and locate it in the front cowling (if possible, but several other places work well too) stay away from any high current leads like the headlights or the starter leads. I have these currently installed on my '03 Suzuki 650 Burgman, '06 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic, '92 Yamaha gas golfcart and, I removed the remote opener from the '06 Yamaha R1 that I sold in September. I have just purchased this week, a sweet Red on Red, 2000 -GL1500SE w/11K miles on the clock and yes, I will be putting this one on the GoldWing.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Welcome aboard pilot8127! Your stepping into " BS's " remote issue here! It's time the Goldwing adds " Home-Link to their bikes as a standard. For crying out loud, Honda basically built a convertable without doors, why not add their built -in remote while they're at it ? BS bought a $70.00 universal integrated system, and damn if we are not going to make it work! " Things won are done. Joy's soul lies in the doing " ~ W. Shakespeare. Stay close here, pilot. The plane is temporarily off course.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the invite chopin114 !! My plane is indeed off course. . . heh,heh- I should have mentioned that I learned of this procedure from the R1-Forum. They were doing this mod with the remotes there, and it is easy. Especially for me since my set up uses a single button, DIP-switch, older style, single function remote ! Maybe someone else can benefit from it. Hang in there BS, , ,yours will work great. Now, I gotta get my Rnav fixed and right my plane. . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chopin114, I hope you and BS have got the bugs worked out, and his universal opener operating as it should ? There is a definete "cool" factor when rolling up the drive and thumbing the built-in opener button you installed and watching the door disappear !

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I wondered about the outcome of " BSWilkes " and his garage remote adventure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts