Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have read about this, that is, that a belly pan will improved handling in crosswinds. It sounded hard to believe to me.... until I drove my Wing after installing the belly pan! I installed the pan yesterday. I took the Wing out for a cruise today; it was windy; I was cruising at about 70 to 80 mph. As much as I tried to discredit what I felt for being a psychological 'illusion' I have to tell you, the bike just seemed to track better than without the pan.

So if it's actually better or I only think it's better I cannot prove but you can add me to the group that says a belly pan will improve handling at high speed particularly on a windy day!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Well I have read about this, that is, that a belly pan will improved handling in crosswinds. It sounded hard to believe to me.... until I drove my Wing after installing the belly pan! I installed the pan yesterday. I took the Wing out for a cruise today; it was windy; I was cruising at about 70 to 80 mph. As much as I tried to discredit what I felt for being a psychological 'illusion' I have to tell you, the bike just seemed to track better than without the pan.

So if it's actually better or I only think it's better I cannot prove but you can add me to the group that says a belly pan will improve handling at high speed particularly on a windy day!

:cool:
I added a belly pan but hadn't heard of this. Nice find.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
If it felt better to you then it was better. I have a vented one on my 1800 and like it as well...

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TWW, we have the same one.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Donald, you are correct in my mind & if you liked it during cross winds you'll love it on the interstates when being passed by the big trucks. You'll notice that they don't move you around like they use to.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Donald, you are correct in my mind & if you liked it during cross winds you'll love it on the interstates when being passed by the big trucks. You'll notice that they don't move you around like they use to.
I hadn't thought about it before, but I also think that it helps. I get a very little push going by a big truck.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Count me in. I see no reason why it should not improve. They should market it as a " Belly Pan / Spoiler " . And no, I haven't noticed any additional heat issues around my lower extremities either. I have the Aircraft Aluminum non-vented model because someone locally was practically giving it away. He felt more comfortable with the stainless steel model as he lived in a very rural and rocky road area.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
To be honest guys, I can't tell the difference with it on or off. We get lots of crosswinds and our two lanes are notorious for wind effects when meeting freight haulers. It didn't change anything as far as reflected heat that I could tell (I have the vented one) but the idea of extra protction from road debris especially for the overflo coolatn bottle is comforting. Just don't bouncing over curbs and rocks and expect added protection there.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
To be honest guys, I can't tell the difference with it on or off.
There's always at least one in the group isn't there.:D:D:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have wondered why anyone would want a belly pan/heat trap, maybe now I know. Any problems with putting the bike on a lift w/belly pan. Also, anyone want to speculate why the pan might help in cross winds or truck turbulance?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
It seems that if it helps aerodynamically, the big boys in Nascar would be running them on their cars, eh? I have been waiting for someone to report on the belly pans. Wondered if I needed one for protection but I don't hear any of you reporting that.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Xhdrider, I read some other posts that did say There were problems with a BP and a lift but I can't say firsthand. As far as speculation as to why the BP may affect the ride... I would think that any addition or elimination of hardware to the bike affects the aerodynamics with some more than others. So (this is me speculating) I assume that if you change that aerodynamic flow under the bike where the space is somewhat bounded or trapped, you could feel the effects.

I have only 1300 miles on my bike all of which has been accumulated on A few windy days here in and around Miami. It is only the last 150 miles since I installed the BP that i noticed the difference.

Heat? Well it's been in the low 80s here during the day so warm compared to most places but not really hot. For now I don,t notice any increase in the heat. Again, all of this is from a very limited amount of Wing experience but these are my observations nonetheless

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Golddigger, I decided to buy the belly pan only for the protection factor and probably would have not done so except for an unusual experience about 6months ago. I was visiting family in New Orleans and driving my dad's Ford. Something flew up or off of the car in front of me and at highway speed I tried but failed to avoid the object. I ran over it and within seconds smoke was everywhere, oil smoke, the oil lite came on.... The object punctured the oil filter! Hence I have a belly pan for the Wing.

By the way after the car was towed and someone came to pick me up we went back to see if I could find the mystery object. It was the Domino's delivery pizza sign that blew off of the pizza man's car.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
It seems that if it helps aerodynamically, the big boys in Nascar would be running them on their cars, eh?
It's not a question of them working, it's that they have a set of rules to follow. If you were to look at other forms of racing that allow pans & aerodynamics they do work. I remember once hearing that the Formula 1 cars of the 80's with the ground effects packages they had in theory would create enough downforce that they could hold themselves upside down. Now obviously it was all theory & you would have to stop the car at sometime but my point is that aerodynamics is an amazing thing. I wouldn't under estimate it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have one for a 1500 that I can't use anymore since I traded for an '01. If someone has one for an 1800 I'll trade ya...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pit Bull jack

I contacted Pit Bull to see if their jack will work with a belly pan. Pit Bull advised me if their jack us used on a Goldwing with a vented belly pan it will crush some of the vents. It apperars if you don't want to crush your belly pan vents you'll have to remove the belly pan if you want to use a Pit Bull, or other comparable brand, jack. If you don't have a belly pan, a spacer is needed which comes with their jack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts