Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed this SunnyTrip USB outlet on my 2008 GL1800 today.

At $15 USD on Amazon Prime Day, it was worth a try as the OEM power sockets I’ve seen are ~$35 USD. It has two USB 3.0 outlets, a voltage indicator and an inline fuse. It’s the same diameter as the OEM accessory socket so it fits in same place in the left fairing pocket. If it was 1/4 inch shorter it would be easier getting the pocket reinstalled but it worked out fine.

I didn’t have a plug to match the outlet available on the wiring harness and I was too impatient to order one, so I ran the wires to the spare terminals in the fuse box, used plenty of heat shrink tubing and soldered all connections.

This should do the trick when my wife and I need to charge our phones or intercom headsets. Aside from a checking it with my phone and confirming the voltage reading is (surprisingly) accurate, I haven’t used it enough to say how well it’ll last. If it holds up, it'll be a good alternative to the OEM accessory socket.

Attachments

Reactions: Chopin and NREMTP

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the same thing with the same outlet/meter unit on my F6B about three years ago.

Rather than running wiring all over the place to the fuseblock (NEVER add any wire you don't absolutely have to...one day you'll thank me). I merely removed the pigtail from the existing cigarette lighter plug that had been in that spot and soldered it up with the USB unit. Even with adding heat-shrink over the solder joints, it only took about 15-20 minutes. Plugs right into the harness where the lighter plug had been. Much cleaner, better looking, and more reliable install. Works like a dream.

....sT

Reactions: chuck65

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did the same thing with the same outlet/meter unit on my F6B about three years ago.

Rather than running wiring all over the place to the fuseblock (NEVER add any wire you don't absolutely have to...one day you'll thank me). I merely removed the pigtail from the existing cigarette lighter plug that had been in that spot and soldered it up with the USB unit. Even with adding heat-shrink over the solder joints, it only took about 15-20 minutes. Plugs right into the harness where the lighter plug had been. Much cleaner, better looking, and more reliable install. Works like a dream.
I didn't have the original power socket or a pigtail so this is a workaround for now. I can still connect to the harness after I get the proper plug. I'll be doing quite a bit of work to this bike over the winter and will be adding the plug to my list of parts to order before then.

Good to hear you've had no issues with this outlet after three years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you still use CarPlay or Android in the infotainment center?
No, my GL is a 2008 so I can't use CarPlay or Android Auto. I have bluetooth headset that pairs with my phone for music, nav, intercom, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts