1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Hey Ray. I would go back to website if no one here has one. They have online chat. Someone should be able to answer how thick it is as it is a common question. Can't think anyone would build or like a 3 inch increase. My guess is it is typo.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One guys review says it is high enough so he has to stand up when stopped !!! WTF why would anyone want it so high unless you are really tall!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
3" is a lot for a seat cover, maybe it has new padding with it. I would have a new cover made for your old seat at an upholstery shop probably wouldn't cost more than $75.00

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Get that seat right ray you have miles to put on in the spring.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Item description

DELUXE BUCKET TOURING SEAT KIT
  • Replaces damaged or worn stock seat with comfortable, great looking touring seat!
  • Available in 4 colors to match original seat color
  • For '75-87 Honda Gold Wing® GL1000, GL1100 AND GL1200 models

Saddles are deeper and wider than on standard seats for more comfort, support and less forward sliding. Passenger's saddle is contoured to allow extra leg room. Mounts to original existing seating pan. Bucket saddles are designed for greater support and an easier ride. Features top leather-look marine-grade vinyl upholstery. Super-tough upholstery will survive long exposure to sunlight, rain and temperature extremes. One-piece molded polyurethane foam cushion-;precise-density foam won't break down or weaken even after prolonged use. Good-looking diamond-pattern upholstery is double-stitched with no-rot thread and is attached to cushion to simplify seat installation. Seat installs on original-equipment seat base-pan-;no special tools needed. Mounting instructions included.Installing this product is not for the faint hearted and it will require a pneumatic stapler, a strong grip and a little strong will (or a good friend who does). Flipping the seat upside down and placing your knee and your weight into the seat pan will give the needed slack in the material to be able to place the staples throuth the seat cover and into the seat pan. The seat will set the driver up about three inches, it is firm and it gives plenty of support for those long rides. No matter who makes the seat, having more contact on the seat area will always require standing while you stop, but hey, I'll take that trade any day. The seat looks excellent and the brown is very close to an exact match. I've taken a couple of long rides now and this seat is far superior to the stock Honda seat or the soft cushy that I just took off."

So the review is what bothers me in the 3inch lift comment!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Ray, This is just one Ole Fossil's opinion but you shouldn't have to settle for anything when it comes to your seat. If you need to, I would search around a bit & talk to some seat companies. I know the price might be attractive but for a bit more you can get the comfort you need. Besides you won't be riding anytime soon. You have some time to shop.

I think about buying my Slipstreamer Windshield. It works fine & has held up well however if I had to do it over I would spend the extra money on an F-4 or a Vstream.

Again buddy this is just One Ole Fossil's Opinion. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right. I am so impatient when it comes to getting things done.I was going to tear it down and have all parts painted but after talking to my old Harley friend the paint I wanted may be way out of my budgeted range. I figure I can do some other cosmetics that will satisfy me for one more season of riding and buy a newer one end of next season!! Gonna shop around for the seat or cover in the mean time!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my 1100 the first upgrade I did was buy a Travalcade Road Sofa. It was probably the best single purchase I made for that bike. Stretched the budget at first but I road that bike for 14 fun and comfortable years. Spend your money wisely or you'll be spending it again later.

On the other hand I may not know what I'm talking about!

Keith

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I had my way I would just buy a new bike but budget says no. I will look at all the options before for sure thanks guys for your input!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I don't know about the cover but I had a Saddleman Road Sofa seat on my GL1500 and loved it. I think I paid about $675 for it. Many 625+ mile days in the seat without any problems. It also was lower by 1 inch so it helped me have feet firmly planted when stopped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3" inches in extra sounds great.
At 6'6" 350lbs that 3" sounds good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts