Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I took “Kathy” in for her inspection and learned a few things at the same time. First of all the person who did the inspection was complaining to me because it was a Goldwing. His exact words where “Goldwing’s are like cockroaches, you can do almost anything to them and they just won’t die if there cared for even remotely properly” He even went as far as to tell me about one that was brought in a year ago an 81 or 82 interstate that had sat for 20 years. He told the guy it was a lost cause and was still told to fix it. The mechanic that worked on it spent more time removing fairing then he did fixing the bike. I was rather surprised at this guy’s candor though this was not a Honda powersports dealer but a (Shutter) Can Am dealer (It’s not a bike it’s a 3 wheeled car IMOP.) I might be wrong but is a motorcycle inspection really this simple I mean Really?
1. Honk horn(Jump five feet once my horn went off)
2. Turn signals left, right
3. Hi beams work
4. Low beams work
5. Hazards work
6. Left side Mirror present
7. Brake pads have decent meat on them ( sight check)
8. Brake Lights work. hand leaver, foot petal, both,
9. Has center stand
10. You can see over or through windshield
Nothing else I mean nothing about the gauges, Tire Tread (unless that’s only if it’s so bad they have to say something) heck he didn’t even look for any leaks, I don’t have any as far as I know but they check on them for cars. I also found that I wasn’t knocked for having two blown lights (the ones on the left and right of the headlight)

Then I asked for a price on an oil change $100 OMG really. Ok yes I will do it myself thank you.

The good thing I did find out from the mechanic that brought out my passing inspection was that I don’t need to sync the carbs. He sad to just run Marvin’s and Seafoam through the fuel for two bottles each and it should clear up the gunk build up that he could hear. I might need to replace my fuel pump but cannot be sure unless I pull the false tank off and listen to the pump itself. And he also suggested I replace the fuel Filter when I do the Oil change. As well as to change the final drive oil at the same time.

Now I’m confused because he wasn’t the guy who inspected the bike for that was the guy in charge of the service department. This guy didn’t seem to want to have me come in for them to do it he was telling me that it’s not a hard job and that I can do it myself. As well as telling me I’d be better off. He also said that his suggestions where because of what he has seen with goldwings in this area.

·
Registered
259 Posts
when I first had my 1989 GL1500 inspected, the owner of the shp told me the same thing - that the engines in these bikes could do 200 or 300K miles with minimal attention. The fuel filter and final drive are easy to service yourself. To see if the fuel filter is "bad", pop open the gas cap cover and if it looks yellowish, you want to replace it. New ones are translucent white.

as for the inspection where I live, it's tires, brakes, horn, and lights. Windshield is not part of and neither is the centerstand or hazards. And it's $14 to boot.n

·
Administrator
15,320 Posts
State inspections are usually pretty perfunctory. Here they do even less, but it is only $5.00.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I keep telling you guys move to Florida, we don't have inspections. We don't have state income tax. the list goes on and on. the best part is you can ride your Wing year round. I know we have our issues here also sometimes you need scuba gear to go for a ride and the mosquito's are big enough to knock you off your Wing and drive away with it:eek:. but other than those few things this is the place to be. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
move to michigan, we don't have inspections either. never did for bikes and they stopped them for cages years ago

·
Registered
674 Posts
move to michigan, we don't have inspections either. never did for bikes and they stopped them for cages years ago
They stopped inspections in Michigan because the mechanics couldn't see any of the parts with all that snow stuck to everything LOL Burrrrr I get cold just thinking about Michigan. How long is your riding season ? 1/2 hour per year LOL

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
They stopped inspections in Michigan because the mechanics couldn't see any of the parts with all that snow stuck to everything LOL Burrrrr I get cold just thinking about Michigan. How long is your riding season ? 1/2 hour per year LOL

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
it only snowed four times last winter :p

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Haven't had to have a State inspection on any thing since I left Pennsylvania 52 years ago.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Down here, they do all that checking too plus they give it a test ride. You know its just a cash cow for the state. $14.50 per year, per vehicle.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
That's bunk Char. Can-am wrench dood would be miffed at most things Goldwing because comparatively that Canadian brand breaks faster than anything on Earth and costs twice as much to fix. That plus the fact that they are 35% more expensive to buy in the first place. Hate seeing my tax dollars going to bail out that outfit (it's been going on for over 20 years...only one worse is "[Sc]Air-Canada").:mad:
So, if your machine is a trike, why do they care if it has a center stand anyway?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
I might need to replace my fuel pump but cannot be sure unless I pull the false tank off and listen to the pump itself. And he also suggested I replace the fuel Filter when I do the Oil change. As well as to change the final drive oil at the same time.

You don't need to pull anything off, the pump is on the left side, behind the carbs.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Charlaine: We don't have motorcycle inspections here in Minnesota either. I mean, seriously and practically, who has a vested interest in the safe performance of a motorcycle? Duh! THE OPERATOR!

A weird thing here in Minnesota, which is normally quite liberal/progressive: We do not have a helmet law. Every time somebody in the state legislature tries to bring it up they are visited by various "groups" that persuade them to drop it. Folks like the Hell's Angels, Disciples, etc. They ARE persuasive folks!:eek: I ride with a full helmet about 90% of the time and don't care one way or another about it except for it's relationship to Liberty. If an adult chooses to not wear a helmet, why it that my business? More importantly, why is it the government's business?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.