Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My name is Ben and I live in Austin, TX.

Today I bought my second motorcycle, a 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000.

I joined this forum for info and help when I need it regarding maintenance and other topics, as the SOHC4.net forums have been so helpful to me with my first motorcycle, a 1976 Honda CB550.

Anyway, I wanted to post some pictures of the bike I just bought and get some insight and feedback on whether people thing I got a good deal, paid to much, or whatever. I'd also like to state the two known issues this bike has so far and see if I can't get them knocked out quickly.

So those are the immediate photos after purchase. I want to know what everybody thinks. I paid $1000.
I will quickly be changing the handlebars and getting rid of the footrests and heel controls, and will eventually do something different with the rear fender/tail light.

There are two known issues that I'm having so far, one that can be explained with photos.

I am leaking oil presumably where the tachometer cable meets it's housing in the engine.

I don't necessarily believe the oil is coming from the tach housing but more likely the gasket right above it. If this is a common issue I'd love to hear about it and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The other issue this bike has is with fuel metering. The petcock can not be turned all the way on without overfilling the float bowls and bogging the engine, I have to constantly change the position of the petcock while riding to get the right amount of gas to the engine, if it starts to bog, I turn the petcock down or close it completely until it starts to feel weak then I open it back up a little bit. I'm not sure if this problem is solely caused by the float bowls in the carbs or if it is possibly the fuel pump. I've only looked at it for a few minutes, and coming from the cb550 that uses gravity fuel feeding, I'm unfamiliar with the vacuum feeding, if that IS what is happening. I see the main fuel line goes into a device that is basically right above the pictures I just posted, then comes out another tube and goes into the carbs. I ASSUME this is a fuel pump. Please let me know if my problem sounds more like a carb issue or a fuel pump issue. Thank you.

I'm really looking forward to many many miles on this bike and hope that I can find all the answers and help I need on these forums, maybe even a few dudes to ride with. Thanks a lot everybody, hope to get these issues taken care of quickly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful bike, just gorgeous and a ton of class.

Congratulations, did you use a pistol or knife to rob the guy?

N1cavu

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF tx,

Nice naked wing good luck with it.

Here's a website for someone that specializes in the 1000's

http://www.randakks.com/

Now as far as the opinions of all of us on what you paid. 2 things come to mind. 1st I believe you did well.

2ndly why do you care what people will think? If you are happy with your purchase that's all that matters. You always have the chance of finding someone who will tell you the deal wasn't good. The heck with them.

Good luck & Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello txbikeguy,welcome to GWOF. ah my favorite nekked wing

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Great Bike....I would love to find a 1000 that nice. Very rare in these parts....Never saw what you paid. Not sure if matters. Like the fossil....Are you happy with it is what matters. BTW Welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to you both Ben and N1. Not sure about the gasket, but i'll do some poking around on the web site and see if there's any trouble-shooting tips.

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
Great looking bike. Sounds to me like you might need to go through the carbs. It could be something as simple as cleaning the needle valves and seats and installing a new fuel filter. I would change the timing belts right away if the P.O. can't tell you when it was done.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Great looking bike, and some wonderful country down there in Austin to ride it. Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Texan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the replies so far, I've had the bike about 10 hours now and I've already got it with a drag bar, removed the foot trays and heel controls and replaced with regular footpegs, and also removed the grab bar. I'm extremely happy how the look has changed, although I might have to return this bar for one with a little rise because now my throttle and clutch cables are too long to function.

I spoke with some mechanics at the trusty local vintage shop and they said my fuel problem is most likely attributed to a faulty vacuum operated diaphragm behind the petcock that controls the amount of gas let into the lines. Given the symptoms I'm almost sure this is the cause. As far as the oil leak goes, I'll just have to replace the fuel pump gaskets, nbd.

Thanks again for all the replies and to answer the question about why I care about people's opinions on price, it's because I don't know what these bikes go for in other markets. Ive scoured craigslist for months and this is the best quality bike of it's kind, for the price, that I've seen. I just wondered if others in other areas would consider it as good a deal as I do.

Will post more pics when I'm on the computer instead of the phone.

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
Nice looking Wing and congrats on your second bike. Also, welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy the forum and ride safe. (I think you got a great deal)..

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
What a great buy! It's priceless, and considering I've blown at least a thousand dollars on accessories on my Wing that have done nothing to make it run better, your $1,000 bought you a complete bike. Obviously it was cared for and I have no doubt that you are carrying on the tradition. You will be blessed in Wing Heaven and rewarded every day with a great big beautiful ride.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Your bike is drop dead gorgeous! Congratulations on a beautiful find.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Congrats on the Classic Wing it looks like it's in fine shape.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tach drive leak

Hi all. My name is Ben and I live in Austin, TX.

Today I bought my second motorcycle, a 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000.

I joined this forum for info and help when I need it regarding maintenance and other topics, as the SOHC4.net forums have been so helpful to me with my first motorcycle, a 1976 Honda CB550.

Anyway, I wanted to post some pictures of the bike I just bought and get some insight and feedback on whether people thing I got a good deal, paid to much, or whatever. I'd also like to state the two known issues this bike has so far and see if I can't get them knocked out quickly.

So those are the immediate photos after purchase. I want to know what everybody thinks. I paid $1000.
I will quickly be changing the handlebars and getting rid of the footrests and heel controls, and will eventually do something different with the rear fender/tail light.

There are two known issues that I'm having so far, one that can be explained with photos.

I am leaking oil presumably where the tachometer cable meets it's housing in the engine.

I don't necessarily believe the oil is coming from the tach housing but more likely the gasket right above it. If this is a common issue I'd love to hear about it and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The other issue this bike has is with fuel metering. The petcock can not be turned all the way on without overfilling the float bowls and bogging the engine, I have to constantly change the position of the petcock while riding to get the right amount of gas to the engine, if it starts to bog, I turn the petcock down or close it completely until it starts to feel weak then I open it back up a little bit. I'm not sure if this problem is solely caused by the float bowls in the carbs or if it is possibly the fuel pump. I've only looked at it for a few minutes, and coming from the cb550 that uses gravity fuel feeding, I'm unfamiliar with the vacuum feeding, if that IS what is happening. I see the main fuel line goes into a device that is basically right above the pictures I just posted, then comes out another tube and goes into the carbs. I ASSUME this is a fuel pump. Please let me know if my problem sounds more like a carb issue or a fuel pump issue. Thank you.

I'm really looking forward to many many miles on this bike and hope that I can find all the answers and help I need on these forums, maybe even a few dudes to ride with. Thanks a lot everybody, hope to get these issues taken care of quickly.
Does the tach drive coupling have an O ring seal. This looks like something easy to fix. good luck and great buy Central Oregon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beautiful bike I cant help but think you got a great deal. Like the way that seat changes the attitude of your old wing. Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Congratulation on your great old wing. And welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Eric

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome from Massachusetts Ride safe My first was a 79 wing Black with vetter fairing had it 9 years. miss her. Loved the black paint Had it repainted and pinstriped looked new, Very dependable . you will love it. Change timing belt if you don't know when it was changed last Important.. We are here for you when needed

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome from Massachusetts Ride safe My first was a 79 wing Black with vetter fairing had it 9 years. miss her. Loved the black paint Had it repainted and pinstriped looked new, Very dependable . you will love it. Change timing belt if you don't know when it was changed last Important.. We are here for you when needed
Ted, you seem to be bored.....You should tune in to the USC - Oregon game. Its a barn burner.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts