Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased, this past summer, a 1996 GoldWing GL1500SE. I am not able to lock the front forks. I have a Clymer manual but can find nothing that even mentions the lock. I have tried it with the front wheel turned both left and right, but the key will not engage it at all. I have even tried it with the bike on the center stand and the weight off the front wheel, to no avail.
This is my first post. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I just started riding, again, after a 35 year hiatus. I have owned Harleys, a Triumph Bonnie and the last bike that I owned was a Hodaka for off road fun.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It should be as simple as turning the front wheel all the way to the left while turning the key all the way counter clock wise. If it will not lock it may be that some one has sheered the pin off. Is there any thing that is keeping the front wheel from turning all the way to the left? Just my two cents but it does sound like the locking pin has been sheered off,could have happened from falling over with front end locked causing it to sheer off or some one tried to steal the bike and damaged it. Good luck Hal

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Try depressing the key down when you have the wheel turned all the way left or right.

·
Registered
365 Posts
fork lock?

I had the same issue with my '88. I think over time and lack of use the pin gets gummed up....or stuck.
I used some PB blaster on mine.( sparingly )...it took a few tries, but after it worked it's way in the lock ( pin ) works perfectly.
The forks can be locked to the left or to the right.
I recommend using some light oil on it to keep it freed up.
As mentioned, the key needs to be "pushed" into the lock then turned counter-clockwise while the forks are turned fully in either direction..:D

·
Registered
365 Posts
The pin is part of the ignition switch, when you turn the key to lock the forks the pin protrudes into the cutouts on the triple trees.. If the pin is stuck..you will break the key before it will push the pin out.
I'm fairly sure that's what you have going on. So, get a shop manual...very good thing to have, then you can find all these little "quirks"....:D It's not hard to do, just a bit of a pain till you get that pin lubed up.:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fork lock.

I doubt the pin will be broken, I mean if it was easy to break i...it wouldn't be much good as an anti-theft device.:)
Get some electrical contact cleaner in a spray can, put some into the top of the ignition where the key goes.
Then work the key in & out till the inside is well lubed. Let it sit for while, then try to lock the forks again..BUT! Don't force the key too hard.:eek:
It will come loose for you, just give it a chance to free up. After you get it working use low pressure compressed air in the key opening to "flush" out any residue. protect your painted surfaces, I doubt the contact cleaner will hurt the paint..but I don't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the site Adainv. The cleaner won't hurt your paint, but any goop could make a spatter mess of things as you spray. I personally don't use the fork lock, haven't for many years now, as you know form experience, they can be a bit troublesome. I have a disc lock if I'm concerned about theft, not that a seasoned nick artist crew won't make short work of any deterrent device on any bike. That's why I have insurance I guess.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Glad you are making progress!:) I think many people forget about that lock. It just needs a little time to free up, one thing is sure...you will only forget it's locked..ONCE!:eek: hehehe...don't ask how I know that.:D

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
MY 93 will lock with the bars turned either way. They must be turned all the way. push down on the key and turn it counter clockwise all the way till the key in the PLock position. Be aware if you have an aftermarket wide windshield and any gadgets mounted on the clutch or brake reservoir you may find that they contact the windshield and prevent you from reaching the stops

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.