Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... Just learned a lesson.
DON'T TRUST THE AIR PRESSURE INDICATOR CAPS !!!!

Bike has been feeling a little squirrely. Checked indicator caps and they showed to be fine. Rode about two hundred miles, in three days, with my wife. Bike just didn't ride the same.Checked caps again, showed perfect ...
During two left turns, with my wife, heard the stand bump. Thought just maybe the road was high, plus maybe a sharp turn.
I added about 12 pounds of air in the rear shocks.That didn't seem to help the feel.

This morning, pulled bike in front. Wife came over to tell me bye.
She spoke up and said the back tire looks flat. I got off, looked and the incicator caps showed "OK". Then I pulled out the air pressure guage, and DAMN, only 8 pounds of pressure. EIGHT POUNDS. I like to have had a fit. AT a guess, This tire might have gained 2-4 lbs during the ride being it is so hot down here now. But was still WAY TO LOW .................
I am running E3's on the bike.tire I don't see anything wrong. I just aired up to 40 plus pounds and ran 65 miles and it felt fine.
HOPE AND PRAY this didn't hurt my tire in any way. This is a new tire, plus, don't want it to become a safty issure here. This just makes me sick >>>>>
I just took the indicator caps off the Goldwing and the Honda VTX.
Will not trust anything like this again. Going back to the caveman ways and manual check them.

·
Administrator
29,079 Posts
Don't get too bent out of shape. I believe you will be fine.
I check my tires when I go to ride. Make it easy for yourself, hang a tire pressure guage right by the Wing. I keep my bike right where my air compressor is with a Guage close within reach. Simple 1,2 & 3 then you know.

I personally would not rely on an indicator cap. Again tires are fairly tough it's not like you put several 1000 miles on them. Breathe.;)

·
Administrator
15,407 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I do not trust anything but the air guage in my hand. I check the tires pretty often too and I think it has helped extend the life of my tires. I put on a set of Centramatic balancers at the same time I put on a set of Elite 3's and I'm just short of 20,000 miles. I keep them at 41 pounds and the tires still look good. Hopefully you didn't run with them low for too long.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have balancing beads in the tires.
I didn't see a "damaging ring" around the tire like you do on some that has been run to low to long.

Just can't believe I done that. My wife called me to "picky" when it comes to my equipment. I check everything, twice.

Oh well, never get to old to learn. Usally lessons like that cost me much $$$$ >>>>>>

·
Premium Member
24,524 Posts
I keep a pressure guage in the trunk pocket at all times. Not that I don't trust the TPMS, it just doesn't have a value/psi number on it so I use the guage.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
Those indicator caps are the problem themselves. When you screw them on the depress the valves stem core in order to supposedly monitor the pressure. Unless that cap is completely sealed, what you have just created a permanent leak.

·
Super Moderator
12,301 Posts
From the sounds of it, the caps must hold the original pressure in them. What did they read before you threw them in the trash?

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
Get a good digital guage and use it often to check air pressure. Best advice I can give..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..... will never make this mistake again.
What was I thinking.

..... and I used to check my air, manually, constantly.

Back to the basics. Check air before each ride. Just that simple.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have balancing beads in the tires.
I didn't see a "damaging ring" around the tire like you do on some that has been run to low to long.

Just can't believe I done that. My wife called me to "picky" when it comes to my equipment. I check everything, twice.

Oh well, never get to old to learn. Usally lessons like that cost me much $$$$ >>>>>>
Can't ever be to picky, just think both of your lives are at the mercy of that machine. Checking twice is a good policy. I check all air & fluids every time i leave home and every morning while on the trip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts