Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 86 Interstate and have noticed a dramatic increase in fuel comsuption over the last couple of weeks, I have recently had it serviced but they said they couldn't find anything wrong, has anybody come across this before

regards

Graham

·
Registered
741 Posts
What mpg change exactly. It could be something as simple as a higher ethanol content in the fuel you bought, especially if you don't go to the same brand gasoline station. I always notice a drop in mileage when visiting my sister in Reno (uphill) and going home (downhill).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No change in the fuel, as its from the same station, increased by approx 20-30% :(

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Some thoughts/questions:

Has the weather been cooler lately. MPG drops when temps drop.

You said you had the bike serviced. What did they do? Anything tune-up or engine related. Change of oil?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If there was one thing that was very consistant on my 1200, it was mileage. I'd check plugs, plug wires and end caps, and then carbs. If the bike is overfueling it will run rough, belch some black exhaust smoke, and the plugs will likely foul. How long have you noticed the change? If it's only a couple tankfulls, I'd blame the fuel, it's happened to me before. Once the crappy petrol is done, back to better mileage

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Winter blend will make a difference, also did you check more than 1 tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My guess is that your station is now using an ethanol blended fuel like E-85... Look closely @ the pump's stickers... It is required by law that they inform the consumer of the presence of alcohol in the fuels.

Since all alcohol fuels have significantly less BTU's per gallon than petroleum fuels, it takes more of it to provide the same power and performance. Thus poorer fuel economy.

The fuel economy reduction #'s you posted are about on track with what one would expect to see with E-85 fuels -vs- 100% petroleum fuels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the feedback, it has been a little cold here for the last few weeks 2 degrees on average, I have only run a couple of tanks through, so for the moment I might change petrol stations to see if that makes any difference, if not I'll go back to my garage and get thme to give it another once over to see if they come up with something they might have missed on the service.

Once again thanks, great feedback

1 - 8 of 8 Posts