Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

incorrect!

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  LarryinSeattle 
#1 ·
First some basis for my finding fault in the speedo, while I worked as a police officer i carried a GPS due to getting mutual aid calls in the county and not knowing parts of that county very well. Well while I had a slow night one night I compaired my radar speed to the speed the GPS was showing and they were the same.

That being said I compaired my wing speedo the GPS and it's off. Not by a lot but off. GPS was reading 66.8 while speedo was reading 70. Should I look to find a correction to this problem or consider it a safety net to keep my old friends off my back.

#3 ·
I don’t know why but it seem that the motorcycle industry has a standard 8-10% error in the speedos. My guess it’s so we can say how much faster we drive our bikes around.

#4 ·
My 09 is only 1 mph off (high). I believe Honda fixed the speedo problem starting in 09 and up. There is a fix for earlier models. I'll have to check the web and see if I can find info on it. Some guys have changed from 60 to 70 series tires (or vice versa). I also found this:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/yellowbox

#5 ·
Well they must have used old parts on my '10

#6 ·
My 94 1500 is spot on according to my GPS. This is the first motorcycle ever that the speedo was correct against the GPS.

I am running a Dunlop 404 which is very close to the same tire that came stock on it.

Before I mounted the GPS, I was assuming that the speedo was incorrect and was making adjustments according to my past experience. I was wrong and was in danger of getting ticketed as I usually ride 5 to 10 over the posted speed limit....so I was prone to tickets.

Further, that I rode 1900 miles with two other 1500 bikes and we compared gps readings and speedo readings as well as rpms on our rides. we all were right at the same spot.... with the exception of my rpm's were higher due to the smaller diameter car tire on the rear of mine.

#7 ·
On my last trip to the US as soon as I cross the border and get on the Hwy I set my cruse to 80mph(GPS) and the speedo was reading 85-86mph. At home I set the cruse to 120kph(GPS) and the speedo reads just over 125kph

#8 ·
I think they are allowed about 8% to 10% error. I know 01 to 08's speedo read high about 4 or 5 MPH at highway speeds. Also you odometer will add about 4 miles every 100 you travel.
I put a 70 series tire on the back and it corrected it. You can also buy a speedhealer for about $100.00 to correct the problem.

#10 ·
On mine the there is one on the back. I was running it on the center stand after a wash to help dry it up thought I'd run it through the gears and the speedo was working. I wasn't expecting that, might have to do with the abs. One other thing to keep in mind if or when changing tires is the front to back size ratio if it get off by too much the abs will do some funny things.(circumference not width)

#12 ·
Every bike I have had seems to be 5 mph off!!! I think its a government ploy to hold bikers down.;)

#14 ·
I've never owned a bike the speedo was correct on. My '09 is plenty optimistic, but it does save me with the Leos' from time to time. Over the years it can add up to lots of ticks on the odo though. I just call it OEM mileage, uses up warranty faster:confused:

#15 ·
Like Joe, I switched to a 70 series rear tire and my speedo error was corrected. Take your pick (Avon, Bridgestone, Dunlop) hae 70 series rear tires. I noticed better ride (via taller tire) and better handling as the bike will have much more corning clearance. The 70 series tire is almost 1 1/2 inches taller 24.4 vs. 26.0". The ABS has not been an issue and I brake to the point of lock up frequently. Now that I've switched to a CT, I'm back to having the speedo 5 mph off. Bummer.

#17 · (Edited)
my 1100 shadow is off 10%. it's a little aggrevating to keep adjusting and spending time thinking about it instead of paying attention to the road.

My guess is that it is intentional. Lawsuits are a fear amongst manufacturers. To err this way, you can change tires etc and still it would be hard for a lawyer to come back and accuss for causing an accident because the vehicle was going faster than the operator thought. Imagine the reverse, you think you are doing 55 and really doing 75. Lawyers would be lining up.

the math is simple, they know how to make it accurate, just my opinion but I don't think they want any part a lawsuit because of equipment error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.