Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought this 1982 1100cc Gold Wing has only 40,000 miles and seems to run good. However when and under excel ration it seems to knock. It sounds like an engine knock to me, however under pull low rpm's it has no knock and engine sounds real good while running in town or idling? I am not sure it is engine noise has anyone had this same sound; and where does it come from?:confused:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The only time I've heard engine sounds that were unnatural in a Wing was lugging it in too low a gear. Knocking noises are too often a sound of a spun crank bearing/piston slap so I'd put a stethescope on it quick and make sure. Not likely but yikes.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
first how fast are you going and what gear are you in cause early wings like to be above 2500 rpm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The rpms' are above 2,500 as I am giving it gas to get going. There is no noise at all in the engine at low speed or at idle and it seems to have plenty of power. I noticed that cables run inside the cowling and I wondered if those slapping against the inside could produce a noise like this? I am buying a stethoscope later this am and going to listen to the engine. I know I have heard noise like this on other Bikes and the engines were fine. I bought the Bike this winter and worked on it and got it going as the rear wheel was a mess and I rebuild the starter and have a total of $400 into it. I repaint the bike with paint I had here and it just happened to match the original paint. The bike has 32 running lights 7 stop lights and 4 turn signals just on the back half. Also has a full set of lights on the front, never have seen so many lights on a bike. Has dual whip antennas and is a great looking bike. Also I have put on over 100 miles of riding time on this engine with this noise and no problems and I changed oil and filter and no metal was in the filter or oil. Yet I will feel better if I can find the source of the noise...Thank you and may all your riding be awesome and safe. The noise happens in every gear once above a certain rpm.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
have you had the carbs synced

·
Registered
59 Posts
It is not a fuel knock is it? They mostly sound like a rattle and happen under a load. How new is the fuel? Have you tried a high octane?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Those are next in line as I wondered about the fuel, as I went with 10% ethanol fuel cheap gas. After listening to the engine will try it later today as I once tried 80% ethanol-fuel in my chopper and it would not run at all. I bet that is the noise and thank you all for your response. Having it tuned this week at them synced the carbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a similar issue. mine is a '78 Gl1000 with 40k. the engine has to be at operating temp and the light knock only occurs at 3000rpm and up under load. the knock will not manifest itself when you put the bike in gear and hold the brake lever and load the the engine with the throttle, which would normally make a rod bearing issue easy to distinguish. i too am not sure about riding it any distance until i know the cause.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
Hi Pastor Tin! Tin? not Tim? OK.

First, if you haven't already done it, fill your tank with 1oz. of Seafoam per gallon of gas, adding a fair amount of Seafoam before adding gas, so it mixes well, topping off as needed. I'd do this for two full tanks. At least you'll know your carbs are reasonably clean, and it will run better to boot.

Next, locate a gas station in your area with non-oxygenated gasoline and try a tank of that and see how your bike rides/sounds. If the noise is gone, then it's due to weak (low octane) fuel. The octane rating of oxygenated fuel intentionally overstates the real octane. Ethanol has lower energy (BTUs) than gasoline. Even though everybody says that the Wing was developed for 87 octane fuel, I know that it runs better with better mpg with 89 octane oxygenated or best with non-oxygenated fuel. Just my experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts