Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
In my opinion now is the right time to buy because everyone out there is trying to stay in business. They are willing to deal, if I hadn't have bought mine in Dec I would be out there looking right now. If we want a country when this is all over all of us had to do everything we can to support local businesses.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In my opinion now is the right time to buy because everyone out there is trying to stay in business. They are willing to deal, if I hadn't have bought mine in Dec I would be out there looking right now. If we want a country when this is all over all of us had to do everything we can to support local businesses.
I agree. I want to help boost the economy but I also have to think of myself and my family. I still have a job and will likely keep it and have money in the bank but this uncertainty is unsettling. I'm still seeing the same prices for new. Would really prefer used if possible. I will keep looking and eventually will find what I'm looking for. Hopefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been admiring the Goldwing for a couple of years and in my mind, I knew it would be my next bike. I currently ride a 2009 Harley Classic. I finally went to the dealer yesterday to hopefully take a test ride. But when I stood the bike up, I was on tippy toes. What a disappointment. I like everything about this bike but I don't want another bike that is not 100% comfortable to ride. I've been looking for a possible fix online but everything I've read is a couple of years old and at that time, there wasn't a good fix. Does anyone else have this dilemma and how were you able to fix it? I really want this bike. I'm looking at a 2018. Thanks!
I recently bought a new 2018 non-tour. I am a bit vertically challenged and was able to mitigate some of it with lowering links from Schroader’s Honda.

They have some lowering links they sell that will lower the back of the bike by about 1.5”. They are quite easy to install. They cost about $100 plus shipping. I called their parts department and ordered over the phone.

·
Premium Member
23,695 Posts
Running a car tire on the rear, as many do, will also lower you. I never measured how much, but I had to put a lot more " UMPH" to center stand it with a car tire installed. A 1/2 inch here or an 1 inch there makes a big difference in position on motorcycles .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Running a car tire on the rear, as many do, will also lower you. I never measured how much, but I had to put a lot more " UMPH" to center stand it with a car tire installed. A 1/2 inch here or an 1 inch there makes a big difference in position on motorcycles .
Lowering the bike definitely makes it harder to put it on the center stand. It can still be done, but it requires a good bit more effort.

·
Premium Member
23,695 Posts
Lowering the bike definitely makes it harder to put it on the center stand. It can still be done, but it requires a good bit more effort.
Yes sir. I have been putting in that extra " UMPH " for ten years now. You would think it would get easier with usage, but alas, aging leads the game. Anyway, it is just another thing to consider as the original poster looks for options and designs to get her feet planted securely on the pavement. Plus all the benefits of a car tire to boot !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes sir. I have been putting in that extra " UMPH " for ten years now. You would think it would get easier with with usage, but alas, aging leads the game. Anyway, it is just another thing to consider as the original poster looks for options and designs to get her feet planted securely on the pavement. Plus all the benefits of a car tire to boot !
Mine didn’t come with a centerstand, but I ordered one. Upon install, I wondered why it was so hard to put it up. Then of course I remembered that the bike is lowered. It’s a worthy trade-off to me. I’d rather have an easier time touching the ground.

I hadn’t considered a rear car tire, but when it comes time for a new tire I may revisit the idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I recently bought a new 2018 non-tour. I am a bit vertically challenged and was able to mitigate some of it with lowering links from Schroader’s Honda.

They have some lowering links they sell that will lower the back of the bike by about 1.5”. They are quite easy to install. They cost about $100 plus shipping. I called their parts department and ordered over the phone.
View attachment 271364
Interesting. I had seen a video from that guy at Traxxion Dynamics and he says using those dog bones with mess with the proper suspension. He was totally against them. Is the bike level, lower in the rear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. I had seen a video from that guy at Traxxion Dynamics and he says using those dog bones with mess with the proper suspension. He was totally against them. Is the bike level, lower in the rear?
I’m sure there is some effects on how the suspension operates. I have no mechanical engineering training, so I can’t speak to what those effects are. I’ve been running the lowering links for about 300 miles and the bike seems to be performing just fine.

The bike is lower in the rear, but it’s not a dramatic difference, visually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I just wanted to update. Still have not found my Goldwing. There just are no used ones available. None. I live in west central Florida so you would think they would be available. I've not found any on Craigslist, Cycle Trader or Facebook Marketplace. I did find a couple at dealers but I prefer not to buy from them. They were too high anyway. Sooner or later someone will sell one. Too hot to ride now anyway. :cautious:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I just wanted to update. Still have not found my Goldwing. There just are no used ones available. None. I live in west central Florida so you would think they would be available. I've not found any on Craigslist, Cycle Trader or Facebook Marketplace. I did find a couple at dealers but I prefer not to buy from them. They were too high anyway. Sooner or later someone will sell one. Too hot to ride now anyway. :cautious:
I just bought a 2018 from a private seller off of cycle trader. 1,000 miles on the bike and I got it for $19,000.00...blue, with cycle cover, driver backrest, and armrests. Good hunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I just bought a 2018 from a private seller off of cycle trader. 1,000 miles on the bike and I got it for $19,000.00...blue, with cycle cover, driver backrest, and armrests. Good hunting.
Wow, sound like you got a really good deal. I really love that blue, but I am wanting the "non-tour" option and it doesn't come in that blue. But I feel used is the way to go, you get the add ons without the new bike price. My luck I will find a good deal in that gross brown. :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, sound like you got a really good deal. I really love that blue, but I am wanting the "non-tour" option and it doesn't come in that blue. But I feel used is the way to go, you get the add ons without the new bike price. My luck I will find a good deal in that gross brown. :confused:
I actually preferred the white dct, but the blue one came up so I jumped on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I very recently purchased my first Goldwing, an immaculate 2012, and I too am a bit short for the bike. It’s not so much a matter of leg reach, it’s that the pegs are right in the way of where I naturally want to step to the ground when coming to a stop. I bang the inside of my lower shins on the tips of the pegs. I‘d like to find a set of comparable pegs that are, say, an inch shorter. I wear a size 9 regular-width shoe, so it’s not like my feet need a lot of real estate to rest on.

The Russell Day Long modification is in my future. I think that’ll help me to be able to plant my feet without the pegs interfering. I’ve already acquired a backup seat for when I send mine away. They’re currently booked til about August, so that’s why I’m more interested in trying a modified set of pegs for now.

This forum is great.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hi, I am also as you say "vertically challenged" riding an 85 GL1200 I am ok as long as I am on level ground, But it does not take much for that to sway " Not in my favor" I have dropped my GL twice due to this breaking off a mirror. I have been looking at boots with platform soles and elevation boots. My concern is shifting with a thicker sole It seems that I could have a problem getting my toe under the shiftier, has anyone tried the platform style boot? and if so How did they work out for you? Also, by lowering my air pressure in the rear shocks will that lower me as well?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, if you lower the rear shock preload it will lower the bike by about an inch, IIRC.

You might also look into a thinner seat, which will help get your legs straight down instead of "out and down" - there are shops that can do the work for much less than the cost of a full custom seat.

One is located just west of me here in the Charlotte area, I think it's called Mean City Cycles. Never used them, just noticed them on Google Maps.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Here is my solution too......... "I'm to short"..... I got these off Amazon there from New Rock Boots and Shoes, They give me an extra inch + of sole under my feet, They zip up the side are not very heavy .... the sole is surprisingly flexible and are true to size but not overly wide ... Men's and women's.👢🛵🧐

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts