Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been admiring the Goldwing for a couple of years and in my mind, I knew it would be my next bike. I currently ride a 2009 Harley Classic. I finally went to the dealer yesterday to hopefully take a test ride. But when I stood the bike up, I was on tippy toes. What a disappointment. I like everything about this bike but I don't want another bike that is not 100% comfortable to ride. I've been looking for a possible fix online but everything I've read is a couple of years old and at that time, there wasn't a good fix. Does anyone else have this dilemma and how were you able to fix it? I really want this bike. I'm looking at a 2018. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have been riding 2006 and 2017 gold wings and I'm only 5'5" . I do wear Red Wing boots but that is because I use to climb telephone poles and they fit the bill for that. The only issue I have is that I have to be careful when I stop. Once dropped the bike when I stopped over a pot hole. And if the road is heavily rutted I have to watch not to stop on the crown.

My understanding is that the seat height is the same on the 18 .

·
Super Moderator
15,141 Posts
a lower seat might help

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
If you don't mind looking like Herman Munster, there are platform boots available.

Reactions: TAL and DreamWeaver

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
A custom made seat for your height. Unless you're like me and nothing helps, I'm 5'4" tall with a 28" inseam and while I like Goldwings and I am way too short for one. The only option for me is what my avatar shows.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam and when I sat on a 1800 for the first time I thought I was to short to be flat footer and while testing all the goodies I played with read pre-load button was at 25 dropped it to 5 and the bike dropped about an inch and both feet were flat on the ground and I still had fled in my knee. Best of all two up it all still rides better than my wife and I remember our 1500 riding, never have bottomed out yet. As others have said seats can be made to lower you, though all I needed on the road sofa seat I put on the 1500 was the seat narrowed at the front so my legs were not splayed out just a straight shot to the ground. Hope this helps cause the 1800 is one great bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem. I wanted a touring bike. I debated between a Honda Goldwing and a Harley Street Glide. Harley beat out Honda for the price. I got the Harley. If I had to do it over, I should have gotten the Honda. I own a 1999 Honda Goldwing now and it has adjustable suspension, which aides in seat height.

·
Registered
22 Posts
height is an important consideration when buying any bike. I have a friend who is much shorter than you guys and he rides a three wheeler. that makes the most sense for you shorter guys and gals. Safety when riding is a major thing even while waiting for the light to turn green! I happen to be 6'3 and have no issues with this or any bike.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
There are custom seat options tailor made for inseam and reach. But they aren't inexpensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I ride with a few different boots, all of them have somewhat of a heel. As for the seat, I saw a youtube video of a guy that customizes your seat and he said there wasn't much to cut down to narrow the seat. Said the pan is pretty wide. I didn't try the preload button to see if that would help. I wish I had now, but I had a BMW K1200GT which was by far my favorite bike and it had the preload also, didn't make a difference on that bike. I got rid of the BMW because of the height. I saw another video on Youtube, this guy says you can get a different shock for the front and rear and it will lower it. But that sounds really expensive.

I really want this bike, I just don't want to get in the same predicament I was in with the BMW. Hubby and I went to a Barbecue restaurant this past weekend and the parking lot was gravel. I was thinking if I had the Goldwing, I would have no difficulty backing out of a parking spot, but I would have been freaking out maneuvering thru the gravel to find a spot. Especially with the bunch of men standing there watching me. HATE THAT!!!!

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Nothing worse than being in the spotlight when you are nervous to begin with

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think he makes the lowering link for the 2018 or newer. Changes to the suspension on the new Wings kinda negates the ability to make the necessary modifications. If he does though, it would be money well spent. I have one on my 2003 1800. Lowered it 3/4" and it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would sure go back and check the suspension pre-load. It significantly raises and lowers the bike. And the suggestion about scooting forward on the seat when you are stopping is good. I'll bet that with the suspension lower, you having reasonably good riding boots (not sneakers) and scooting forward, you will find a good comfort level. Good luck..... Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would sure go back and check the suspension pre-load. It significantly raises and lowers the bike. And the suggestion about scooting forward on the seat when you are stopping is good. I'll bet that with the suspension lower, you having reasonably good riding boots (not sneakers) and scooting forward, you will find a good comfort level. Good luck..... Jim
The suspension preload? Are you referring to the eco, rain, 2 up etc modes? I did visit another dealer a couple of weeks ago and I did try that. It made no difference in the height. I was really disappointed. But I feel I can handle it. I've made up my mind and I am looking for a used bike. No older than 2018 and a NON tour. I would like to find one from an individual but there are none to be found. I've been searching on craigslist for a couple of months and there have been 2 within driving distance and they were both the tour. I am a patient woman. I will keep looking. Eventually the right one will happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
He is not talking about ride modes,( rain, tour, econo,sport), he is talking about suspension preload setting, single rider, single with luggage, dual rider, dual with luggage. You will heart the servo and feel the bike raise or lower depending on which one you pick. He is right, I am short and can flat foot on single rider, but cant on dual rider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is not talking about ride modes,( rain, tour, econo,sport), he is talking about suspension preload setting, single rider, single with luggage, dual rider, dual with luggage. You will heart the servo and feel the bike raise or lower depending on which one you pick. He is right, I am short and can flat foot on single rider, but cant on dual rider.
Huh? I'm not sure what you are referring to. Is this a setting, or a mechanical adjustment. How is this done?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You would go to I believe vehicle settings and scroll down to suspension settings and pick which setting you want, single, single with luggage, dual, or dual with luggage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so I found it. The manual preload setting is behind a panel in front of the right saddlebag. Not sure what the default setting is. I wonder if the softest setting would plant my feet on the ground. Anyone with experience with this?

Looks like the Non-tour doesn't have the electronic adjustment.

Also not sure if this is a good time to be buying a bike anyway, with this plague.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts