Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been admiring the Goldwing for a couple of years and in my mind, I knew it would be my next bike. I currently ride a 2009 Harley Classic. I finally went to the dealer yesterday to hopefully take a test ride. But when I stood the bike up, I was on tippy toes. What a disappointment. I like everything about this bike but I don't want another bike that is not 100% comfortable to ride. I've been looking for a possible fix online but everything I've read is a couple of years old and at that time, there wasn't a good fix. Does anyone else have this dilemma and how were you able to fix it? I really want this bike. I'm looking at a 2018. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I have been riding 2006 and 2017 gold wings and I'm only 5'5" . I do wear Red Wing boots but that is because I use to climb telephone poles and they fit the bill for that. The only issue I have is that I have to be careful when I stop. Once dropped the bike when I stopped over a pot hole. And if the road is heavily rutted I have to watch not to stop on the crown.

My understanding is that the seat height is the same on the 18 .

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
a lower seat might help

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
If you don't mind looking like Herman Munster, there are platform boots available.

·
Super Moderator
7,481 Posts
A custom made seat for your height. Unless you're like me and nothing helps, I'm 5'4" tall with a 28" inseam and while I like Goldwings and I am way too short for one. The only option for me is what my avatar shows.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam and when I sat on a 1800 for the first time I thought I was to short to be flat footer and while testing all the goodies I played with read pre-load button was at 25 dropped it to 5 and the bike dropped about an inch and both feet were flat on the ground and I still had fled in my knee. Best of all two up it all still rides better than my wife and I remember our 1500 riding, never have bottomed out yet. As others have said seats can be made to lower you, though all I needed on the road sofa seat I put on the 1500 was the seat narrowed at the front so my legs were not splayed out just a straight shot to the ground. Hope this helps cause the 1800 is one great bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem. I wanted a touring bike. I debated between a Honda Goldwing and a Harley Street Glide. Harley beat out Honda for the price. I got the Harley. If I had to do it over, I should have gotten the Honda. I own a 1999 Honda Goldwing now and it has adjustable suspension, which aides in seat height.

·
Registered
13 Posts
height is an important consideration when buying any bike. I have a friend who is much shorter than you guys and he rides a three wheeler. that makes the most sense for you shorter guys and gals. Safety when riding is a major thing even while waiting for the light to turn green! I happen to be 6'3 and have no issues with this or any bike.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
There are custom seat options tailor made for inseam and reach. But they aren't inexpensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I ride with a few different boots, all of them have somewhat of a heel. As for the seat, I saw a youtube video of a guy that customizes your seat and he said there wasn't much to cut down to narrow the seat. Said the pan is pretty wide. I didn't try the preload button to see if that would help. I wish I had now, but I had a BMW K1200GT which was by far my favorite bike and it had the preload also, didn't make a difference on that bike. I got rid of the BMW because of the height. I saw another video on Youtube, this guy says you can get a different shock for the front and rear and it will lower it. But that sounds really expensive.

I really want this bike, I just don't want to get in the same predicament I was in with the BMW. Hubby and I went to a Barbecue restaurant this past weekend and the parking lot was gravel. I was thinking if I had the Goldwing, I would have no difficulty backing out of a parking spot, but I would have been freaking out maneuvering thru the gravel to find a spot. Especially with the bunch of men standing there watching me. HATE THAT!!!!

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
Nothing worse than being in the spotlight when you are nervous to begin with

1 - 13 of 13 Posts