Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make long story short.........I lost my keys to my 2010-1800......I was told by a local dealership that a good locksmith could figure it out.......Desperately need help!!! Thank You

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
To make long story short.........I lost my keys to my 2010-1800......I was told by a local dealership that a good locksmith could figure it out.......Desperately need help!!! Thank You
lost both sets? and dont you have the little ID number for the keys?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Both are gone and no little number bar either.............
dang , i guess a lock smith is the only way, i made a 3rd set when i first got my keys and gave them to a family member to hold

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
From what I've read the keycode should be stamped on the locks. If you can get to the ignition or the one on the gas tank or the side cover they should have the number..

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Both keys on the same key ring? I can't believe the original dealer can't help.

Being that you are in PA, you do have some time before the riding season. I bet they are right where you left them, in a drawer or a coat only worn once in awhile.

I had lost the 2nd key to my Ford Ranger and it was gone for two years. I was getting some coats ready for donation and I found me key!

I have a spare key zip tied to the frame right by the battery for "just in case" I lose mine on a trip.

I wish you the best on finding them.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I don't want to insult anybody here. But have you looked in the ignition. Don't ask !!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Probably the easiest lock to get out without having a key is the one in the black panel that opens the fairing pocket. Take the panel out and remove the lock. The number should be on it and a Honda dealer can make a key from that number, they might charge you $10.00 but it can be done. Or take that lock to a locksmith and they can make you one. Once you get it done hide a spare key on the bike, many places to hide it, don't hide it in the trunk or somewhere you need a key to get to. I hid mine in the bottom of the passenger pocket under a piece of black tape, tape it to the inside of one of the side covers, or just look around for a place.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
How would one get the cubbybox lock out if all keys are lost?????????????
You can remove the ignition switch.
or take your VIN to a licensed lock smith.
Your dealer should also be able to get a key code w/your VIN and no need to disassemble anything

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm A Lucky Idiot!!

Found Them! The story is too long to relate here...Suffice it to say this was a learning experience...Won't be as careless next time...Thanx everyone for your suggestions and moral support!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
inquiring minds NEED to know :eek:
When I picked up my '84 GL1200 Interstate. The prior owner announced that he had lost the keys.
I called my local Honda dealer and they told me to remove the ignition switch and bring my title and they would make a pair of keys for $8.00.
Evidently they told me this not realizing that in order to remove the ignition switch it required a key in order to remove some of the parts in order to remove the switch. My brother-in-law stopped by and found me in the midst of my frustration. We began looking around and found that one of the saddle bags just happened to be unlocked. We removed the three little nuts that attaches the lock to the bag and he dropped it in his pocket and walked away saying "let me try something". The next day he came walking in with a grin on his face and holding up a pair of keys. Excitedly, I asked him what in the world he did. He said he walked into the same dealership that I had called....tossed the lock on the counter....and said "can you make me a couple of keys for this?" The guy behind the counter picked up the lock...looked under the rubber lock gasket...wrote down a number....went to a book and started flipping pages.....scanned down a list of numbers....pulled out a couple of key blanks....went to his key making machine....and handed Lyle two new keys and said that'll be $8.00. The clerk didn't ask to see the bikes title....didn't ask for any kind of I.D. or anything. In ten minutes Lyle was on his way to my house with two new keys.
When Lyle arrived, of course we began trying out the keys and found that they worked on all the locks. AND GUESS WHERE WE FOUND THE ORIGINAL KEYS?? In the locked right hand fairing pocket. The prior owner evidently tossed them in and closed the lid not realizing that he had just locked the keys inside.
NOW I HAVE PLENTY OF KEYS......FOUR!!!

What really ticked me off was.........WHY DIDN'T THE DEALERSHIP TELL ME TO DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE???? HERE I WAS AT HOME DISASSEMBLING HALF THE DARN BIKE TO GET THE IGNITION SWITCH OFF...AND ALL I REALLY HAD TO DO WAS JUST BRING IN ANY LOCK OFF THE BIKE.

Harkgold

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I knew a local Honda dealer here. Losing the only key to a used bike for sale was distressingly common. They would call a lock smith to come to the store and make a new key. Charge for all this goodness............$100!. But there you have it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dealer should be able to order you a replacement based on the VIN number. Give them a call.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I have misplaced or needed keys for a project bike , I get key code and go to hondakeys.com.they are a company I discovered through VJMC and have always had the key needed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the tip. What do they charge you for keys?

Harkgold
I was a VJMC club rep, so I recieved a nice discount but their price was always reasonable,considering their keys are all NOS keys....so when you are looking for a key for a Dream or early model CB/CL,having oem keys accessible for a restoration to concours level is always a plus..Again these are factory keys not locksmith specials so it always works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts