Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're likely to encounter this post on other sites; I'm casting a pretty wide net.

I would be interested in joining or helping to organize a long road trip for this fall.
Since I'm in suburban Atlanta, this initial planning will be for a ride originating in the southeast region, but it could evolve into a join-up caravan beginning in Florida or elsewhere and picking up participants along the route.
Here's a FIRST suggestion-- just as a conversation starter. How about north out of Atlanta to the Cherokee end of the BRP, then the full length of the BRP and the Sky Line Drive and on to Gettysburg and up to West Point, NY... through New England to Prince Edward Island, Canada. All in all, roundtrip, I'm talking about five or six weeks of touring. We could motel it all the way or do a combination of motels and campgrounds.
Ride any of it or all of it. The return route is up for discussion.
Is anyone interested in this route or some other destination as a long autumn adventure?
Post here or reply to me by private message.
I think it could be the trip of a lifetime.

Paul Reece
The Olde Biker Farte
Marietta, GA

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Your right, it does sound like a "super-ambitious autum road trip".... Lots of great things to see. 5 or 6 weeks would be a long time, but if and when you get this thing organized. Post your schedule there may be some of us who could join in for a day or two. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I am also a candidate for pick-up in the Northern VA area. I just rode through the Hudson Valley area and I spent 5 years assigned at West Point. I didn't go onto the grounds of USMA, so I'm not sure what the security concerns are that may or may not allow one to pass through the gate. Autumn in that area is wonderful during the time that the leaves are turning, but you also have to be VERY aware that it is also an area just loaded with deer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It sounds like the exact trip I would love to do. I am out of Birmingham, AL, so we are practically neighbors. Unfortunately, I am still working and don't have any vacation left this year. If you want to do it again next year, I would be interested in traveling most of the way.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
This could be fun....keep us posted. If you get to New England I'd like a day or two of that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:)
Ops, my bad. Old thread.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Hey Jim, don't want to ruin the anticipation but the last post to this thread was over a year ago & Paul hasn't logged on since March of this year, so this might be a dead topic.

There are lots of other guys to hook up with though. Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
:) Paul, I like the idea. Please throw out some dates. Need to look at a calendar. I enjoy the Parkways.

Ops, my bad. Old thread.:eek:
Jim,
Let me know when you want to make the BRP....I might work those dates out and join you.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It really HAS been a long time since I weighed in on this topic. Here's why:
I posted the Fall-2010 idea on four different chat boards and got a total of ten responses of genuine interest--none of them interested in more than a day or two along the route. My experience with ride planning is that the attrition rate is AT LEAST 50%. So I gave up on generating the sizable, interactive event I had hoped might evolve.
Instead of going north in the Fall of 2010, I planned a solo ride in the desert southwest. And I made that ride in April and May of 2011.
If you're interested in how that adventure worked out, I'm recounting it on my blog at
http://latelifebiker.wordpress.com/ride-of-a-late-lifetime/

I hope you'll check it out.
Regards to all.
Paul, The Olde Biker Farte

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Well Paul. Thanks for checking in.

I agree on the planning thing. Some of us just recently pulled off a 2 day excursion in Pa, W.V., Md, & back to Pa.

It's nothing less than a small miracle when all the planets align & things like that happen. Between everyones busy life schedules & such it does make it difficult.

Having said that We could not have had a better trip & the guys that were on it are some of the finest people I've ever met. Everyone got along great & we had a blast.

It isn't just riding that goes that way it's sporting events, outdoors events etc. etc. Found out a long time ago best way to handle such a thing is plan for yourself tell others what you're doing & let the cards fall where they may. If money is requried for deposit or tickets, get it up front & funny thing happens, the "cheapskates" will weed themselves out & you have no worries.

Again thanks for checking in & Ride Safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.