Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About three weeks ago, I purchased a Firstgear 90 watt heated jacket liner, heated gloves and a dual controller and finally got to try them out today on a ride from Vegas to Death Valley.

The cyclemometer said it was 37 degrees when I left home at 7 AM so I set both knobs at the half way point. It didn't take long before I was turning the controls down because things were getting a little too toasty. Kept those settings until I reached Badwater, where I disconnected the cables and switched to my springtime gloves, which I wore the rest of the trip.

What a great idea this heated gear is. Probably won't use it every ride but won't have to think twice the next time I want to get an early morning start. I should have bought this stuff two winters ago! :(

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I hear you. Love heated gear also. One of life's simple pleasures.:D

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Plus one here too. It sure extends the riding season.

I have the heated pants and boot inserts as well. Gerbings all except the pants are Fieldshere and they work together fine.

I have the dual controller for the coat and gloves. A single controller for the pants and boot inserts.

No troubles with the Compufire alternator system. All is good.

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
Sure can't use any of the heated gear on the 1200. 90 watts is over a third of the charging system's output!

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Tank, just go with the battery operated stuff. Besides you have your 1500 now. Just upgrade the alternator & wire up.

·
Premium Member
11,020 Posts
One little young fella from Down Under thinks that the 1200 still hold the heart and he hasn't commited to the 1500 yet. Eric

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure can't use any of the heated gear on the 1200. 90 watts is over a third of the charging system's output!
Firstgear does make a 65 watt heated jacket as well. A friend of mine bought his wife one for Christmas for use on their GL1200 although I don't think she's tried it out yet. 65 watts would draw about 5.5 amps at the max heat setting. I'll keep you posted on how his wifey's vest works out. She will no doubt have it set to the "Max" position. ;)

I'm not sure how the electronics work on the controllers but like I mentioned, anything over "half throttle" on the knob was too hot for me. If the conrollers draw less amperage on lower settings, that could be your solution to the charging system limitations. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer to find out. Or like Fossil said, there's always the battery powered heated gear or better yet, a GL1500, or even better yet, a GL1800. :D

·
Super Moderator
15,217 Posts
One little young fella from Down Under thinks that the 1200 still hold the heart and he hasn't commited to the 1500 yet. Eric
if i keep my 1200 i plan on getting a poorboy kit for it so i can use heated gear if i need or want to. radarsdad heated gear extends my riding season into december if there is no snow, salt or ice but at 37* its too warm to turn the heated gloves on :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i keep my 1200 i plan on getting a poorboy kit for it so i can use heated gear if i need or want to. radarsdad heated gear extends my riding season into december if there is no snow, salt or ice but at 37* its too warm to turn the heated gloves on :D
Call me a wimp... but the heated gloves felt pretty darned cozy! :)

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Missus had a Widder vest on the 1200, and I had fog lights, light bars, and lots of other electric add-ons as well. Could be part of the reason I fried 3 stators with it. Anyway back to the vest, best move I ever made for her:D. Never thought about me in them days...:confused:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have a BMW heated vest, works great, never used heated pants or gloves but my ski pants and heavy winter gloves keep the rest of me warm.

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
Firstgear does make a 65 watt heated jacket as well. A friend of mine bought his wife one for Christmas for use on their GL1200 although I don't think she's tried it out yet. 65 watts would draw about 5.5 amps at the max heat setting. I'll keep you posted on how his wifey's vest works out. She will no doubt have it set to the "Max" position. ;)

I'm not sure how the electronics work on the controllers but like I mentioned, anything over "half throttle" on the knob was too hot for me. If the conrollers draw less amperage on lower settings, that could be your solution to the charging system limitations. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer to find out. Or like Fossil said, there's always the battery powered heated gear or better yet, a GL1500, or even better yet, a GL1800. :D
The heat controllers do not work like a rheostat, they work off of pulse power..... when you see the controller blinking, that is providing a picture of the electricity as it turns on and off to the jacket. So when it is on, it is drawing the maximium wattage of your heated coat, jacket or gloves.

On the dual controller (Gerbing) the black knob runs the gloves and the gray one runs the coat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Permanent controller install?

I have a power pigtail hanging out of the side cover that I use to connect to a controller for my Gerbing gloves. Has anybody done anything cool along the lines of a bike mounted socket and permanent controller?

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Yes I did.:D:D:D

PM sent to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got my first piece of heated gear for Christmas this year, Gerbing vest liner. WOW, this thing is amazing. The microwire had heated up almost too hot before I could pull out of my driveway. My coldest ride to date was 13* F on a neked sportbike, now with the wind protection on the wing and this vest, I don't think theres anything short of ice to stop me riding.

·
Banned
3,186 Posts
I have a power pigtail hanging out of the side cover that I use to connect to a controller for my Gerbing gloves. Has anybody done anything cool along the lines of a bike mounted socket and permanent controller?
Gerbing sells a permanent mount controller and flush mount connectors.

However, I have the portable dual controller. I recently rode my bike for a total of 10 full days in December, and what I did was hang the dual controller on a ram phone mount off the clutch reservoir. This works really well for adjusting the pulse settings but when moving the bike around in parking lots whereby one has to really swing the handle bars, it would pull off.

I have since found a different solution for the dual controller. Using a cheap camera bag that has a belt loop on it, cut the bottom so that it will allow the wires out the end, run a wire zip tie around the fuel door and have the controller sit on top of the fuel door.

The other thing I do is use the fake leather cover that can be purchased for the Gerbing controller. It has a belt clip on it and I hang the controller on my belt of my coat. My only problem with this.... is I cannot see to adjust it. However, after 10 full days of being on the bike using this gear, I know what setting works for how cold it is and the type of riding that is going to happen.... so I don't have to micro adjust it anymore. I can set it and forget it.

If I lost 40 lbs.... I could see it to adjust it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was looking around the house for a mounting solution and spotted an extra nylon case I purchased for my Leatherman "Surge". The portable dual controller fit like a glove and it even has openings at the bottom for the cables to exit.

Went to Lowe's and bought the Velcro "One Wrap" straps and attached the assembly to my passenger seat grab handle. Thought about wearing it on my belt but figured with the jacket liner and a coat, it might be hard to get to. The grab handle put it in an easily accessible spot, but the thicker heated gloves made it difficult, but not impossible to adjust the knobs. I tucked the sheath flap in behind the controller so there was one less obstacle to work around.

I'm thinking I might order the remote dual controller and just Velcro the transmitter to my fairing pocket lid. That should work well... I think.:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Okay here is the Fossil stuff & hookups.

The clothes list is as follows:

Mine:

Gerbing Heated Vest Liner

Firstgear Gloves TR512807

Hers:

Firstgear Jacket Liner TR512791

Firstgear Pants Liner TR512854

Firstgear Gloves TR512815

Gerbing Heated Socks

We use the Dual Controllers so that we can set items at different temps.

The BMW plug is this link.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...el/444_goldwing_electric_clothing/des/?page=3

The BMW Socket with Hinged cover is this link.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...el/444_goldwing_electric_clothing/des/?page=3

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts