Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm a retired airline pilot and 2 weeks out from my msc. I wake up nights dreaming of a Goldwing. It's the reason I''ve gotten into riding in the first place.

While the ink was still wet on my endorsement I bought a Honda Shadow 750. I plan to get to where I "own it" operationally (hopefully, a thousand miles or so). I then plan about a thousand miles or so on a Harley Fat Boy to help get me ready for a Goldwing.

My wife and I would wave down every Goldwing we see. I've loved them for years and have decided to go for it. As a pilot I understand the need to "work up to it." In the mean time I'm loving riding my Shadow every day here in Arizona.

I joined this forum to learn so, please, let me benefit from your experience and provide lots of advice and guidance. Am I on the right track? My first Goldwing will most likely be an 1800 with ABS.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
You are on target. Welcome from Pa. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello flightsong and welcome to GWOF. by the time you are done with the shadow there will be no need to get a fatboy unless you want one

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Won't be long you will be working your way up to a Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the site...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
In complete agreement with what the good doc says. A Shadow to a Wing isn't like going from a Piper to a Boeing :D. Good idea to get some miles (hours?) logged on the Shadow first though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Flightsong,
A friend of mine completed the course, then rented a Harley, decieded he and his wife wern't Harley types then bought a wing for his first bike. He's an excellent rider on that wing.
I got into pistol shooting in the late 60's and my first gun was a 44 mag. After getting used to it and pretty good, everything else I shot felt like a cap pistol. Sometimes you don't need to work up to the biggest. You got the 750 now and I'm sure you can skip the fat boy. Good luck, and I agree, get ABS!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Based on my experience you can skip the Fat Boy for sure!!! WELCOME FROM VERMONT!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome flightsong from Ontario Canada. 1) never leave Arizona 2) get the Wing!
My wife would get rid of me if I sold the Wing! There'a a lot of years of experience in this site.
Peruse the site, form your own opinion.
Either way, ride safe,
Strat

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
" rigginray " says : Skip the Fat Boy. I concur. The size of the Wing belies its handling. As a pilot you well know that it is not the size of the plane but the amount of control it has. The Wing drives itself and the pilot just steers it. No bull. It just takes a few hundred miles or so to understand that. I'll be out in Sun City, Phoenix the first week in April. Not on Wing, unfortunately, but I'll rent a Harley at Arrowhead Harley in Peoria. Prepare to ride.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
There's a Goldwing waiting for you somewhere.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Skip the Harley, go for a Gold Wing, Hey I'm not to far from you and I have a beautiful low mile 08 for sale, check it out here
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263508
I just serviced it also, new air filter, anti-freeze, oil & filter, final drive fluid and recent brake & clutch fluid change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Flightsong? Are you the singing pilot named Ken D...? Either way, welcome. Damned age 60 rule! If you ever get towards KPTW, I'll see if you can handle my C182! moonflight.org.
I just bought a Wing on Monday. I found it more intimidating, cranially, than actually. I am leaving right now for a 4-hour break-me-in ride. I have been able to amass only 120 miles since Monday.
Randy

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Welcome to the Tar Heel state :) go ahead and get the wing, it will be the best experience you will ever have on a bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As an admirer of planes (from the ground) I would not steer you wrong. I went from a Suzuki 400 (6 years) on and off dirt - straight to a brand new Goldwing, '08 model.

There's no need to go to the Fat Boy to echo what others here have also said. My experience proves that. I now commute 45 miles each way, every week day, on my Wing and I'm lovin every minute of it. Of course, everyone's different. But, I really don't believe its necessary to step up a few different bikes to get to the Wing. A season or two on the Shadow should be good enough.

PS - most of the riding I did in those six years on the Suzuki 400 was on the dirt. And, almost none on the highways. I've been riding my Wing now a few seasons with no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Flightsong.....Honda has some deals right now. Not sure it is ends in October or December. .99% financing , an extra year of warranty (up to 4 years with this deal) and $1K in "Honda Bucks".

Just got my 03 GL1800 on Monday. Despite working 51 hours thru noon yesterday, I still managed to put on nearly 400 miles this week. Took off yesterday afternoon for a 180 mile trip. Cruise control is awesome! It was extremelty windy. I could feel the gusts as a nasty headwind. On the way out, I cruised at 70; on the way back, I cruised at 75. Mileage was 42 mpg! It bwas a little chilly, but it sure beat working!

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
As an admirer of planes (from the ground) I would not steer you wrong. I went from a Suzuki 400 (6 years) on and off dirt - straight to a brand new Goldwing, '08 model.

There's no need to go to the Fat Boy to echo what others here have also said. My experience proves that. I now commute 45 miles each way, every week day, on my Wing and I'm lovin every minute of it. Of course, everyone's different. But, I really don't believe its necessary to step up a few different bikes to get to the Wing. A season or two on the Shadow should be good enough.

PS - most of the riding I did in those six years on the Suzuki 400 was on the dirt. And, almost none on the highways. I've been riding my Wing now a few seasons with no problems.
A personal testimonial that will save you thousands of road time hours needlessly.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
A personal testimonial that will save you thousands of road time hours needlessly.

Thanks Chopin 114...I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did Biketoberfest down here in Florida
I have owned all kinds of bikes
and every other bike was "work" to put 300 miles on it at one time
After throwing 300+ on the Wing in a day...I told the gang
I could eat, then leave for New York.....LOL
It's all about the ride...not the vibrating and shaking....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will tell you I was intimidated by the Goldwing.....I sold my VTX 1300R and was itching for the GW. I found a great dael and I went for it. There is a weight difference I had to get used to, but the GW is balanced very well. I picked it up last Saturday and haven't driven the truck since. Ive only logged 500 or so miles, but I feel I made the right decision.

I also concur with skipping the fat boy......on a side note I was at the red light earlier today. I'm not up on the Harley models, but this guy had a decent size bike with all the bags and such. I couldn't get over how his arms "bounced" up and down as he waited for the light - that's not for me. I'll take the smoothness anyday!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts