Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm Glueless!!!

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, this is my first post.
I have owned my 1978 GL1000 since I bought it new in the fall of 1977. I've put just over 500,000 kms. on it since then. The very best of times as I'm sure you know.
I got lazy and didn't remove the mounting bolts (a 1 minute job) on my Corbin saddle to allow for proper removal of my right side cover. The result was to break off 1/2 of the plastic mounting tab on the side cover.
I tried superglue with no success and I was wondering if anybody knows what type of plastic the cover's made of, and what an appropriate glue would be. The plastic material is kind of a light creamy white colour with a black coating of some sort. The side cover is, of course, black.
Half the tab's still there so it still hangs and is functional, but I'm fussy and it needs proper repair. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.................Happy riding........................Dave

#3 · (Edited)
Well Dave, some of the plastics just will not stick together with glue. I guess it's the stuff they are made out of. You might try some 5 minute Epoxy. They make some specifically for plastics. If that doesn't work, I think Harbor Freight sells a small "Plastic Welder". Mostly used for PVC and schedule 40 stuff but the claim is that you can actually weld the plastic parts back together. Might check in on that. Can't help any further than that though. Trike Lady might have given you the answer though cause she is a whiz at this stuff. By the way, Super glue has good "pull apart" strength, but has little or no "shear" strength. Isaac

#4 ·
I use JB-Weld for work on the tupperware. Wipes off nice and clean and pieces taped together with it in the joint dry semi-hard in an hour and pretty dang hard in 24.

#6 ·
First of all, welcome to the forum.

ABS pipe cement with a small piece of pipe cut to reinforce it.

#7 ·
Dave, If you use glue be sure to use ABS (Black) sold at plumbing outlets.

PVC Glue will not work. Different characteristics. The JB Weld is an ok option however with the body parts made from ABS you won't get any better than ABS for repairs.

By the way Welcome to the GWOF

#10 ·
In a pinch this WILL work, put the super glue on it and pour baking powder on the glue. Careful, it will heat up.

#11 ·
Stuck Like Glue!!

I said I'd let y'all know how it worked out, so I'm back. It looks as though the material is definitely ABS. The ABS cement worked very well. It just shows to go you, all is well as long as we "stick" together.

Thanks for your help..........Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.