Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi …… I am new here and want to introduce myself. I just bought a 2006 GL1800a last weekend. It is a beauty. The first owner did a great job of keeping it up. However, he is taller than me, which means when at a stop sign I am on the balls of my feet. I got the bike to ride 2-up with my wife. I need to lower the bike, but how do I determine how low do I need to go. How would I measure for the proper height to come down? I’m 5’8” unknown inseam. I know about the lower kits, I just do not know how much to lower.

Can anyone help a New winger
Thanks

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Scott, welcome and congrats on the bike. I'm not the best to offer this kind of technical advice, plus I have a pretty long inseam so I really can't relate, sorry 'bout that. But I do know lots of guys that lowered their older GL's an inch or so with Progressive shocks (not sure what they did with the front) but when you do that you sacrifice cornering clearance. Somebody here (I think or maybe another forum I belong to) posted a thread about high lift footwear and that sounded like more than one person thought it was a great idea. Good luck no matter which way you go.:)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi …… I am new here and want to introduce myself. I just bought a 2006 GL1800a last weekend. It is a beauty. The first owner did a great job of keeping it up. However, he is taller than me, which means when at a stop sign I am on the balls of my feet. I got the bike to ride 2-up with my wife. I need to lower the bike, but how do I determine how low do I need to go. How would I measure for the proper height to come down? I’m 5’8” unknown inseam. I know about the lower kits, I just do not know how much to lower.

Thanks
... HOWDY ... WHEN SITTING ON THE BIKE HAVE SOMEONE MEASURE THE DISTANCE FROM YOU'RE HEEL TO THE GROUND ... THAT WILL GIVE YOU A ROUGH IDEA FOR WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE UP ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Scott, first welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) Wing. I'm somewhat short myself 5'8" with a 29" inseam. On my 09 I found that when I come to a stop if I move slightly forward on the seat I can plant my feet firmly on the ground. Aslo, I don't know if your bike has aftermarket foot rests in place of the stock rests, but if it does the aftermarket rests force you to spread your legs out more when stopping and therefore makes it harder to plant your feet firmly.

I've seen lowering kits for the Goldwing, but if you install one of those they make it almost impossible to put the bike on the center stand because they lower the bike about 1 1/2 inches. The lowering kit also affects the cornering and lean of the bike.

Another option is a custom seat, but that can run $600 or more depending on what model you choose. I had one on my GL1500 from Saddleman, called the Road Sofa and it was about 1" lower which enabled me to plant my feet just fine.

You might want to try the lift boots that were mentioned first and see if that helps. Less expensive and less work. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Scott, Not sure if my opinion will help but here goes anyway. I think someone mentioned that the Lift Boots were around $200 bucks. Now for my money I put on a Hartco saddle not for the lowering but for comfort. I did some research prior to purchase & the custom seat guys usually want to have you take a picture with you & passenger on bike & tell them your/passenger weight & height. They build seat accordingly. I got my Hartco for $300 off ebay & it was new. So I'm sure you would have to change your shoes more often than saddle. Even if the saddle you go with is $600 or so I think it would be better. Think of all the variables with shoes, your feet get wet & you need to put on different boots, when you want to move bike around to clean or maintain: you need to put on Tallmen boots? I'm rambiling here but it just seems to me that the boots are like putting a band-aid on a deep cut.

My two cents.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Scott - Welcome to the forum. I am new to the GW and also have a vertical problem. I just bought tallmenshoes for $125.00 and they have raised me 4 inches. They look like a normal shoe but have lifts in them. You can see them at WWW.tallmenshoes.com. I just came in from a "Ride for the Cure" with 800 other bikers around the beautiful Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and I never dropped my bike on anyone or made a fool of myself. So the boots seem to be working for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Vertically Challenged

Thanks
Scott: My original test ride of the Wing scared me off for a year. I bought a "heavy cruiser," a Yamaha Silverado 1700cc that is about the same weight and an inch lower. My insean is 27.5", so the Wing left me on the balls of my feet too.

After about 10 months of riding the heavier bike, I felt confident I could handle the Wing with my Sweetie on the back. As you know, it's never an encouragement to your wife/girlfriend to end up on the ground because you wanted to unintentionally test the bank indicator.

We have been riding for a little over two years now, and we've never been on the ground, except on the tires. I didn't lower the seat or the rear suspension, although I could benefit by taking either or both. However, I'm leary of messing with the suspension (most of the posts I've read on a competitor board say it's not a good idea to lower the rear suspension). I haven't pursued the seat option, as I've been too busy riding to find a good upholstry shop that can take some of the padding out of the sides of the seat.

So, I wear boots with thicker heels, as stated earlier. The main thing is to ensure that whatever solution you choose you're confident it will work and not compromise your comfort or safety.

Just remember, don't "low center" yourself at intersections or stoplights. As long as you can get both balls of your feet on the ground, you should be OK.

Go for it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
scottg

I'm a short guy also (height guys, height).
I ride with the pressure at 0 PSI unless the better half is riding & then I'll jack it up to 15 PSI.
I also went to Alligator Bob's, who is known around the world for his work on seats, and he did a fantastic job of carving out 1/2 of the foam & installing a soft pad. I like long trips & this works out great.
You don't have to live near Bob's (Google Alligator Bob's) you can just send the seats like most others do. He already knows what to do. It cost me $250 but his custom work with exotic leathers can get into the thousands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Snowhawk

Thanks for the in-put. When Honda says it is a “per-loaded suspension”. Dose that mean that anything above “0” is for your comfort and “0” is what is considered the BASE for the pre-load suspension?

I have heated seats and I do not know how that will affect the amount of curving that can be done, but I will check out ole Bob’s…..Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
scottg
I believe that 0 PSI is the base point where you are just using the regular shocks and not using the air ride suspension. My wife is 5'-7" and weighs (maybe) 100# soaking wet and that is why I don't need to go any more than 15 PSI. (I'm going to be as polite as possible here so that I am not insulting anyone.) However, if you have a passenger that is considerably higher is weight you need to adjust the air shocks to a higher PSI to keep from bottoming out. The best way to do this is remember where your feet are at by yourself. Keep putting more air in the shocks & when you start getting uncomfortable let some air out until you are back to normal.
Whew! Hope that came out right!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Redfox

"I just bought tallmenshoes for $125.00 and they have raised me 4 inches. They look like a normal shoe but have lifts in them. You can see them at WWW.tallmenshoes.com"

I have asked this same question on two Goldwing Forums and I seem to get some of the same fixes. A number of people have referred to boot/shoes with lifts. You stated that you have purchased a pair of these shoe/boots and they seem to work well for you.

Besides making a short guy into a talker short guy, how long did it take you to make the adjustment on your foot position on the pegs (finding the peg with your foot)? Did the height of the toe create problems with your shifter? Are there transition issues you had to learn when you started using these shoes/boots?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
Hi there. I bought a 2012 Wing and love it. I am 5' 9" tall and find it a bit to tall. You really have to plant the left foot, not the toes, to make for a stable stop. So I end up leaning a bit too much. Feels uncomfortable althought doable. Not quite as easy with a passenger. Someone suggested shoes from Tallmenshoes.com. I felt a bit conscious about doing that but the alternative was very expensive. I bought a set of biker boots from and I am so very pleased. A bit awkward at first to walk in but when I come to a stop my entire foot touches the ground. So much more confident riding now. I would recommend a size smaller than you take. The quality is tremendous. I am in Canada so a $148 pair of shoes ended up costing me about 215 (exchange is brutal, duties etc) which is way cheaper than changing the hardware. Best decision I could have made. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 5'6 and did a few things and now I'm comfortable. 1. Line men's boots have thicker soaks and heal. 2. Dropped bike using a lowering link by 3/4 nick. (Can go as much as 1-1/4") 3. Installed ride off center stand. Works better on lowered bikes. 4. Had existing saddle foam carved out slightly.
This allows me to ride two up comfortabley and when riding solo I use any shoe I want as I don't need complete foot on ground without a passenger.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Im never a big fan of lowering a bike. I'm 31" inseam and cant flatfoot my goldwing either. But there are many bikes I cant flatfoot. Only those bikes dont weigh 950+lbs. Thicker sole boots, learning to shift a little when putting foot down and maybe have you seat shaved a little by an upholsterer or doing it yourself would be my suggestions. I've seen short girls comfortable with hanging off some bikes when stopping. The hardest part is getting comfortable doing something like that. I have to do it a little myself. And even still sometimes the bike fights with me to tip over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Short rider fix

Sorry guys you're kidding yourselves if you really are having short leg trouble on your wing without modifications. I'm 5'2" 29" inseam. I ride a 1989 1500. Tried the low/no air riding double/single, trouble with this bike it used one air shock on the right, coil over shock on the left. The problem is without any/low air pressure is a sideways pogo effect, more so when cornering right. heightened boots don't fit the shifter right and the feeling isn't natural, plus (no offense) looks Herman Munster-ish.
So I bought a 1-1/2" lowered seat that has a gel insert, installed 2 progressive suspension rear coil over shock 1" lower than stock, slid the forks up the triple trees 1", and wear my standard boot. The ride is awesome, no fork flex, no pogoing in corners. Handles much better. BUT I had to remove the center stand, it would hit going up drives more so two up, rubs the pegs faster in a curb. With the better handling you really have to watch your speed on corners so you don't exceed your lean limit (don't take me wrong you don't have to ride like you're on a trike). I could really use another inch or so but I cant safely go any lower, and my footing is Much improved now over stock. I love the way my bike looks, know and accept its limitations, but feel much safer in a dirt or rock situation when stopping. I have decided to install a Richardson roadster trike kit in the next couple of months, after talking to another short guy and he said he loves it. Any way thanks for letting put in my feelings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm interested in where you got the lowered seat as well to see if they make it for G1800. After doing some lowering of the bike (3/4"), shaving of the seat (3/4 inch) and lineman's boots (1/2 taller), it's time to install a belly pan which I just purchased but haven't installed. I got the stainless steel louver one and now wondering if the louvers might have more of a tendency to scrape in turns and driveway approaches. we'll see. also be careful when shaving the seat it has a heating element in it. might want to have it professionally done... The linemen's boots look quite normal as the tread is just more aggressive. no trouble shifting. Not sure if they're called linemen's boots everywhere but they are black, high top and steel toe but give about a 1/2" advantage. every little bit helps. when you lower the bike you need to deal with the side stand as well. Too much and you'll be looking for another one....

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK Guys and Gals, I went on the Dennis Kirk site and here's what I got. A Travelcade Road Sofa seat with Drivers back rest included is a matching cover for your backrest on the trunk. seat has Gel inserts, 2pcs drivers stitching which gives you a relaxed seat cover with a firm support on your lower back. I don't use the back rest when riding 2 up it makes it tight on my wife with both of us chubbies. Solo its awesome the seat has a insert hole with a velcro cover for when back rest isn't being used. The seat I got was called the Low Boy Seat with an inch and a half trimmed out, after you get the foam relaxed from use you will lose another 1/2 inch and the sides will form into your inseam. My Dennis Kirk Part # was 454579 Manufactuer pt. # is H973J. Get one You'll love it!

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
A custom seat is for sure the way to go to get your feet firmly on the ground. Or you,can have a logout and get the whole,body flat on the ground, but the seats cheaper.:wink2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts