Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi , I,ve got a 95 goldwing with green Led lighting . It is in no way blinding to other motorists . I,ve been riding it that way for 3 years without a problem . I live in Kansas and last friday night the kansas highway patrol pulled me over and said my lights were illegal . The person I bought the bike from belonged to the GWRRA and said the lights were mainly for safety and I agree . Is there any way I can argue this? I explained I,ve ridden by hundreds of other officers without any issue until him ,he did,nt care . Thanks Rick H

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
the only lights that are legal are red in the rear and a white head lite with amber marker lites all other color lites must be turned off when the vehicle is in motion on the road. the po of your wing was just lucky he never got stopped by an leo

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
I know that you cannot run red or blue accessory lights, as they are used on emergency and police vehicles and lights cannot flash. I have purple neons on my 1500 and haven't been bothered.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I've been told pretty much the same as detdrbuzzard has said. Red rear, amber front. anything else is not for general riding on public roads. Light shows and parades, that's about it.
I agree that the light will get attention, but around here Green lights are for the volunteer fire department folk to use while trying to get to the Fire Station for a call out.

I know blue lights will get you stopped.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
I know that you cannot run red or blue accessory lights, as they are used on emergency and police vehicles and lights cannot flash. I have purple neons on my 1500 and haven't been bothered.
it all depends on the leo's in your area as to if you'll get stopped for your lites

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
They are illegal. Just put a switch on them...and forget about it.
I removed all mine.....VA State police are pretty strict on lights.
Mark

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have stopped cages and bikes for illegal lighting. Theystops were for (Indiana) blue, red or green lights facing forward, bight enough to be confusing as to being on a emergency vehicle or not. All were at night, when the vehicle is not easily recognizable.
Other forward lighting including ROF's are easily noted as decorative and I would never bother those!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
It's always better to check with the powers that be (including the Leo's, DMV etc) to make sure just what the exact laws are in your area. Plus the fact that not all regions are the same so what's considered ok for your normal haunts might be different across a stat or county line. If you want to keep your lights, put a switch on them as mentioned above. It's still not 'legal' but if you have them turned off, I doubt you'd have any issues.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Just so everyone knows:
FMVSS(USA) & CMVSS(Canada)
FMVSS=Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
CMVSS=Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
These documents contain the lighting requirements for all licensed vehicles that can operate on the public roadways of all states/provinces.
These regulations are what dictates "legal" exterior lighting. They over ride any state requirements.
In other words these regulations are "good" for all states in the USA and Canadian Provinces.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
As said before, they are illegal, as for not being pulled over before, well the cop that pulled you over had nothing else to do or doesn't like motorcycles. Loud pipes are illegal but all day long I see guys on bikes with straight pipes and ape hangers going right by cops and never get pulled over. Depends on the cop I guess

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As said before, they are illegal, as for not being pulled over before, well the cop that pulled you over had nothing else to do or doesn't like motorcycles.
You, nor anyone else has any idea what would motivate the action taken. I assure you, whatever the reason may have been, neither of those you listed would be on the list of possibilities!
Loud pipes are illegal but all day long I see guys on bikes with straight pipes and ape hangers going right by cops and never get pulled over. Depends on the cop I guess
More likely is the prestop actions of the violator being attention to himself by doing something dumb!

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
As said before, they are illegal, as for not being pulled over before, well the cop that pulled you over had nothing else to do or doesn't like motorcycles. Loud pipes are illegal but all day long I see guys on bikes with straight pipes and ape hangers going right by cops and never get pulled over. Depends on the cop I guess
Joe,

Regardless of the reason....the lights ARE illegal & the LEO has every reason to pull you over for them. As well as loud pipes. I wish they would pull more bikes over with loud pipes....but I don't think they have the right equipment to do so. They can't just say I think your bike is too loud. But they sure can see your blue (or whatever color) lights. So your reasoning doesn't make sense....They are just doing their job.

Mark

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Here in Oregon the only color lights allow on the front of the bike while the bike is on the road are white and amber anything else will get you pulled over.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Beating a DEAD horse will get you no where! Amber in front of rear axle with white headlight, red behind rear axle. PERIOD!!!! Now for the finer points, according to the way the law is written amber turn signals on the rear are ILLEGAL!!! No other colors may be lighted unless in a parade or parked!!!

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Beating a DEAD horse will get you no where! Amber in front of rear axle with white headlight, red behind rear axle. PERIOD!!!! Now for the finer points, according to the way the law is written amber turn signals on the rear are ILLEGAL!!! No other colors may be lighted unless in a parade or parked!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
My '06 came with white running lights in the front, I think this is legal in Oklahoma but I wonder if I am liable for a ticket in other states. I have looked for amber version of the bulbs in there but havent found them yet.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would appreciate a link to the what law you are citing.
Having worked in exterior vehicle lighting for over 40 years, I have never found anything in FMVSS 108 making amber rear turn indicator lamps Illegal!
There are many, many vehicles on the road and being manufactured every day that would be in "trouble" if this were true.
Required is either 2 red or 2 amber rear turn indicators:

Turn signal color
Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. Amber front turn signals were voluntarily adopted by the auto industry in the USA for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[40][41] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[42] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour. Presently, almost all countries outside North America require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light. In North America the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones.[43][44][45] International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals,[46] and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.[46][47][48][49][50] A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,[51] and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.[52]

There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs.[53]

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
I would appreciate a link to the what law you are citing.
Having worked in exterior vehicle lighting for over 40 years, I have never found anything in FMVSS 108 making amber rear turn indicator lamps Illegal!
There are many, many vehicles on the road and being manufactured every day that would be in "trouble" if this were true.
Required is either 2 red or 2 amber rear turn indicators:

Turn signal color
Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. Amber front turn signals were voluntarily adopted by the auto industry in the USA for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year,[40][41] though the advent of amber signals was accompanied by legal stumbles in some states[42] and front turn signals were still legally permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible front turn signal colour. Presently, almost all countries outside North America require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light. In North America the rear signals may be amber or red. American regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals have historically asserted there is no proven safety benefit to amber signals, though it has been recognized since the 1960s that amber turn signals are more quickly spotted than red ones.[43][44][45] International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals,[46] and U.S. studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to stop lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red.[46][47][48][49][50] A 2008 U.S. study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests vehicles with amber rear signals rather than red ones are up to 28% less likely to be involved in certain kinds of collisions,[51] and a 2009 NHTSA study determined there is a significant overall safety benefit to amber rather than red rear turn signals.[52]

There is some evidence that turn signals with colourless clear lenses and amber bulbs may be less conspicuous in bright sunlight than those with amber lenses and colourless bulbs.[53]
I believe he meant to say rear amber lights as running lights are illegal.....

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.