Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im looking for info on this condenser, point ignition setup that these bikes have. I dont understand the lingo and Randakk's right up is super technical and i cant make applicable sense of it. Is there a right up on first how it works and then how to test my ignition timing and tune it up. Im not looking to jump to this Dyna electrical ignition yet, I want to make sure its running properly first.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi there what year of Wing are you speaking of? Are you trying to cure a problem or perform maintence

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. The wing is a 79 gl1000 with about 23K miles. I just got it running but it has idle problems.

It will stall sometimes on decel and I'm getting lots of popping out of the left pipe and a little hesitation on accel. It needs a carb sync I'm sure but I want to check ignition timing and do maintenance. Again thanks for replying.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is the popping happing on acceleration or deceleration?
Your points and condenser needs to be changed if you are unsure how old they are. Make sure to clean and inspect the cam lobes before installing the new parts
The lobe shaft should not have any play in it. Follow the directions in the manual in setting the gap on the points.
This is sometimes tricky as you tighten down on the screws the points will tend to move, I like to snug down both screws then set the gap tighten some more recheck the gap then do a final torque on the screws and recheck the gap. If this is your first time with setting points it may take a few times to get it right. setting the timing should also be covered in the manual. Hopefully someone can point you to a manual for sale. Once you get it make copies of the pages you will need so you don't mess up the book.btw don't forget to lubricate the lobes before you install the points.
If the popping is happening on deceleration check for exhaust leaks. If it is happening on acceleration the problem will likely be in the carb. Make sure to pull a compression test so your not chasing your tail.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. No pop on accel. I have good compression and I just did the Randakks carb overhaul. It has an exhaust leak because I get smoke from the headers when its for a while. I'll check that out. Also ill find a manual and get the procedures.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also it it ok to use eBay condenser and points? Found a few kits with both condenser and points for $35.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone want to recommend an eBay/aftermarket kit? Or is this a OEM piece?

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
on my hondas with pointsand condensers i only use ngk or nd tune up kits and carry a kit with you for emergencys

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. Do you have part numbers or links? I only found these on ebay and Im not seeing those brands.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Do you have part numbers or links? I only found these on ebay and Im not seeing those brands.
i get small stuff like that from my local dealer

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys career change and move from Florida to South Carolina put the bike on back burner. But, Im back at it again. I checked the points and condensers and the right one is dead on spec with the manual, however the left one seems to have very little gap if any. I adjusted it to what I think is the max and still not even .012. I am ordering a new set but does anyone know how these things work. My engineering mind needs to know. I'm assuming that when the gap is open current flows to the coils triggering them and its some how based on the size of the gap which is why its important??? Someone correct me if Im wrong.

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
When the points are closed the field builds in the coil, when they open the field collapses, providing the spark. If the gap isn't correct, the dwell angle is off, causing the spark timing to be off. A very condensed version on how it works, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When the points are closed the field builds in the coil, when they open the field collapses, providing the spark. If the gap isn't correct, the dwell angle is off, causing the spark timing to be off. A very condensed version on how it works, but I hope it helps.
Thanks Cantankerous yes that explains it, you got any input on which points and condensers are best? I want to get these ordered, I havent ridden in months!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I've been hearing about those. You got a link for those? I wanted to get the bike up to snuff before I start doing improvements but if the price is the same as the points I can look into it. Im just really itching to get this thing on the road now.

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
I'd go with the lesser expensive one. They are probably both the same brand.

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
The electronic is $166.99, plus shipping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts