Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proud owner of a 2010 Wing and this might be the only thing I would change. Much shorter gearing than I was expecting. First gear seems to be a formality. I occasionally use it for a few yards after leaving a stop light. This could however add to the sporty feeling I get from rowing the gear box. GREAT bike!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
1st gear works great starting of going up hill with a full load of gear and a passenger. i would leave first gear alone and put a taller 5th gear in the trans. i think that a taller 5th gear would be a good compromise seeing that honda doesn't seem to want to add a 6th gear

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
+1 to what Doc says. 75mph at 3,000 rpm would be nice.

Mine seems to be geared based on the assumption of two up and at full cargo capacity, which makes sense I guess, to avoid lugging the engine. But one up and packed for one, I'd like a taller 5th gear.

Guess I'll throw one in tomorrow!:p

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Would you explain what you mean by, "Taller 5th gear"?? "Taller"???
Simplest way to say it, I guess, is a 5th gear that requires fewer rpms to produce a certain mph (a smaller gear); that's why I wrote 5th gear and 3,000rpm at 75mph. I'd guess the term "taller" suggests more output per rpm of input.:confused:

Fixed size crankshaft drive gear, so the size of the transmission gear determines off-the-line versus touring road rpm/powercurve/mph.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That seems to be the main complaint about the 1800 bikes.
A friend from work has an 08 Wing, and he was complaining about it recently.
I told him it was for two up & loaded or maybe with a trailer.
That he understood, and stopped complaining, I think he makes most of his starts in second gear now. Of course that could be because I told him the first gear on his bike was just like a "Granny Low Gear on a Truck" LOL.
What ever it takes, but a sixth gear would be nicer.
Rusty

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
thats the main complaint about all wings a 1200 wing spins about 2900rpm @ 60mph. a taller first gear would almost put an end to pulling a fully loaded wing with a trailer also

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I thought this too but the other day I was driving downtown and a car was coming into my lane. I just twisted the throttle and away from him/her I went. That available power has come in handy before. On mine, which is usually just me on it, I’m about 3000 rpm at 70 mph. Although Doc’s taller 5th gear is a good idea. Think Honda will pick it up?

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
If Mother Honda would listen to us, the 1500 would have had a 6 speed.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
If Mother Honda would listen to us, the 1500 would have had a 6 speed.
and about 115hp
i think honda is playing some sort of game, just look at the hp ratings of the new 700x and the nekked cbr1000. lets not even talk about the under powered vtwin cruisers of any displacement that honda has been selling since the '80's

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Simplest way to say it, I guess, is a 5th gear that requires fewer rpms to produce a certain mph (a smaller gear); :confused:

Fixed size crankshaft drive gear, so the size of the transmission gear determines off-the-line versus touring road rpm/powercurve/mph.
Kevin, not to start any kind of fuss but wouldn't the 5th gear need to be "larger" and not "smaller". Smaller indicates that it would turn closer to the drive gear rpm (higher rpm)and larger (more teeth) means the drive gear would turn at a slower rpm for a higher wheel/drive shaft rpm. Maybe I'm wrong but it wouldn't be the first time. :D Isaac

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
well issac looking at this on a bike with sprockets. lets say the stock rear sprocket has 46 teeth to lower your rpm you would go down to a smaller sprocket size, 45 teeth or lower while making no change to the front sprocket

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
What you have to remember is Honda does NOT publish horsepower figures or torque or gear ratios. This is because there is no qualified standard to go by and Honda won't play bragging games with the other OEMs. As for the wish of a sixth gear, ask any HD or Victory rider how much roll on power the bikes have at 60-70 mph in 6th, especially uphill (feel free to compare the CVO if you want too). It's all about usable "road horsepower" when you twist the grip. The GL engine makes great torque and good useable hp in just about all situations, always has and likely always will. Another cog in the gearbox won't consistantly make the bike better in ALL circumstances, only at flat road cruising, with lower rpm. It won't necessarily improve fuel mileage either; that is also a function of road horsepower and efficiency. Go back and study the Goldwing history book and see the years of brutal testing that was done (over here in North America mostly btw) under real world conditions. That's how they got it right in the first place. What will make more difference if you want more oomph is likely variable valve (V-TEC) timing, dual cams and changes in the fuel management ans mapping systems. With that comes more weight and expense, which incidentally is also a downside of another gear in the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
thats one reason i don't want a 6th gear but a taller fifth dropping the rpm's by 300 is about the equivelent of a new tire vs a worn out tire of the same size so how about a gearing change to just drop fifth down another 300 rpm

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
well issac looking at this on a bike with sprockets. lets say the stock rear sprocket has 46 teeth to lower your rpm you would go down to a smaller sprocket size, 45 teeth or lower while making no change to the front sprocket
That's the way I look at it, being a simple dimple!:eek::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.