Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread on riding your wing into mexico. Most of it negative and not knowing anything more than what I see, would agree, just dont think I would want to chance it.

However, that being said, I thought, what WOULD be unique and still safe? Ship your bike to Rio and ride down there? rent one Europe,,would being on the wrong side of the road be detremental to ones skill profficiency it would....hurt.

The truth is, we are so fortunate to have so many places to ride here in this country, I couldnt see shipping a bike away to do this, but just thought, maybe others have had some experiences or ideas and I just wondered what they were. or pics of things they did. I mean Eric and crew was a fine example in the other direction. what would be like to go over there and ride?

just thinking. again... I know I know.

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
Personally I hope to one day go see Eric and Vanessa. But I still have 28 states and all the Canadian Provinces to go before I really need that "new" place. Also Scotland on a bike sounds good. Probably not as good as reality with their weather but I would like to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Personally I hope to one day go see Eric and Vanessa. But I still have 28 states and all the Canadian Provinces to go before I really need that "new" place. Also Scotland on a bike sounds good. Probably not as good as reality with their weather but I would like to give it a try.
Come on Mark it is easy to get to the other 28 states and Canada. If you are going to ride on the opposite side of the road you will need to do it while your mind is quick to adjust. You have to undo 35 years of what has kept you safe. Everyone is different but I would not like to try that at say 70 for the first time. If you have done it when younger than at 70 may be still doable and safe. It was a 28 hour day to get to Ron's and when you get older the recovery time will be longer. Not trying to put the mokker on you. This how I feel. You know if you come over that you will be most welcomed. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I really want to rent and ride in Ireland. The wife and I have wanted to go to Ireland for a number of years. Got to get the kids out of school before we can pull that off. If I go there I am definitely gonna ride.

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
You know if you come over that you will be most welcomed. Eric
I know and thank you. I'm hoping that Martena will heal up enough to ride before we come that way. But we will eventually even if we have to do the tour in a car.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Florida Keys -

You might consider a run down to the Florida Keys. It seemed to work out best when we book a hotel on the lower tip of the Florida mainland to rest up a day or so, then ride the keys bridge-way, spend a few days enjoying the "Old Town" streets of Key West then return to the mainland. The month of May has been some of the best weather for the trip so far.

Good Luck, Michael:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the keys are a great place. I used to work in Wpalm. and went to the keys on weekends a few times. didnt have a bike back then, but was still nice. I would also recommend that.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
The place I have wanted to ride for along time is Australia's Hwy 1 up the Gold Coast. Maybe after the wife retires we'll head down that way and give it a ride.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wrong Side of the Road -

Hey Terry, You know that they drive on the wrong side of the road down under...:p If you want to get your heart pumping go through one of their round-a-bouts and come out with traffic coming straight at you.

Of course, I see you made it through the Nam. You can make it through anything....

Michael :)

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Just a personal opinion but if there were no other place to go to (ride or otherwise) than Mexico, I'll stay home thank-you. It has zero appeal for me, never mind the political problems and health issues, I just don't want to go there at all. Now I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing any place they wish to go, so just be assured this is my personal view and nothing else.
REF, Ireland is a wonderful place to ride, just be prepared for lots of twisting, turning, NARROW roads in the countryside. But my God man the roads! There were times we'd stop for a luch or fuel etc and I'd be literally dizzy from the corners and pace. But never once did I feel threatened by danger or wild traffic the whole time. Keeping up with my sport bike riding mates outside the Dublin boundaries was a bit nerve-wracking due to 'lane sharing' (their definition of what I call blitzing the center-line) and having to keep up or risk getting lost. The cities are extremely traffic choked (Dublin is well, they have a colourful local variant of a powerful curseword for it) insane nightmare IMO, but I found Cork and Belfast not that bad. Other smaller towns and villages are busy and confusing but quaint and very friendly (unless you happen to be in a staunch Gaelic sector where they only spakes the auld tongue, and even then if you're a visitor they'll try and help you along, especially if you're in need of assistance.
Renting over there is pricey definitely (I spent over 1k Euro's total for two bikes and 8 days when all was said and done, but there was also some accomodation and shuttle transort included in there too). I'm looking at either shipping a bike over or buying one through a friend/outright for my next stint (likely buying is best) and then selling it once done. Where I'm located shipping isn't a very viable option due to having to cover most of the doggone country here in a container before hopping the pond. Most of my connections are in the Dublin area, but other than a night here or there to be a bit silly, I can avoid the rat race well enough. But I want to do the Ring of Kerry, Galway, Wicklow (not on a weekend, it's their version of the Dragon sort of) and I'd run the North again in a heartbeat and this time I won't by-pass Joey Dunlop's statue in Ballymoney!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just returned from a walking trip (500 miles) in northern Spain. On this trip I walked through many small midevil villages that are basically off the map. Very well set up for a MC touring. I've also traveled a few times to England, France, Rome. There's no doubt I will be taking a MC trip to Europe. My ruff plan is to fly to London, rent a BMW, and tour Europe. As haphazard as it sounds, there's no reason to book hotels months in advance. In Fact, in Spain (and I suspect most of Europe) there are networks of Hostels that are as nice as an American type motel for less than half of what a Hotel will cost. About 30-50 E. I would have a GPS set-up for Europe and a tour book and just go for it. I did Alaska this way and had a blast!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.