Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new goldwing two weeks ago. When the engine is warmed up and I stop, the idle fluctuates up and down and then even outs - need to know what to tell the dealership about this problem - they checked it out and tried to fix but did not.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Many of us newer wing rider have experienced the surging idle to some degree . There is a proceedure that an owner can do to reset the ECM and that may settle things down. I don't have the proceedure on the tip of my tongue at the moment. Suffice it to say tonight that your idle issue is not unique or an abberation.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Chop is right. I've experienced the same thing, but it has never been a problem. There is a procedure, but like Chop, I've drawn a blank. I think Joe In Calf knows a lot about resetting the ECM and maybe can help...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Cold bike, start and do not touch the throttle, let warm up till you hear the cooling fans come on, wait 90 seconds and then turn off and restart, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn,t.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just give it some time. The idle will "hunt" until the computer learns where it (it being the idle speed) needs to be for a given condition. It will settle down after a while.

Just bought a new goldwing two weeks ago. When the engine is warmed up and I stop, the idle fluctuates up and down and then even outs - need to know what to tell the dealership about this problem - they checked it out and tried to fix but did not.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Do the ECM reset as tfdeputydawg described and it should even out

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I've learned to ignore it.........it's getting better with 6300 miles on it.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got my 2010 in May last year. It has about 4,000 on it. It still hunts at idle and it actually stalled once when I came to a stop sign. Bike was up to normal running temp. Pulled in the clutch coasted up to the stop, RPM went up and down once and then died. Only has stalled once but it still hunts. Mine usually goes up and down once or twice then settles down.

You will have people tell you to reset the bike. I guess some people have had luck doing this. I did this about 5 times - no help. I've had one guy tell me after the 1st oil change the hunting would go away. UM . . . OK. That didn't work for me. People will tell you with more miles, the hunting goes away. This is nuts. If automobiles with EFI did this - it would get fixed.

My dealer called Honda. They told him to scan the bike. My dealer is a 3 hour ride away so for now I have lived with it. There are quite a few members here who have complained about this hunting issue. I cannot believe Honda has no fix. I work with computers for a living and have tuned some EFI V-8's with computers. This hunting issue seems to be a tuning issue - like a proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller) needs some adjusting (although I am sure Honda's control is much more complex).

The bike does not need to "learn" what the idle is. The idle (or range) is programmed into the computer. I do not believe over time this will go away on my bike. If it is some "learning" issue, then it should not take this long.

The hunting is annoying but I STILL LOVE THIS BIKE!

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 2010 with just over 4000 miles. I ride with a bunch of other Goldwing owners and one told me that when I came to a stop I wasn't letting the troddle go all the was down. Now I purposely crank it down and it seems to be working or I'm just getting used to it or the bike has figured out what to do. No matter, this is a great motorcycle...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread - I picked up my first wing, an '06 in September and this is what it does as well. Doesn't really bother me much, but it would be nice if there was a way of dealing with it. I tried resetting the ECM, but it didn't help.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reset

Well, I went out and started my 2012 base model. It has about 3500 miles on it. I started it and let it idle in my garage. After about 4 minutes, the fan came on high. I started counting, and at about 20, the fan went off, but I kept counting. At 80, the fan came on again and quickly went off. At 90, I turned it off, waited for the Opening Ceremony to clear and re-started it. It seems to have stopped "hunting", but I will give it a day or so and report back whether or not it worked.
Stay Tuned.........:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a Fix, Just an Observation

If the dealer is a three hour ride, and the problem isn't too bothersome, I might think about "going to the dealer" a bit more often.
:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update...... did the "reset thing".... had a small effect on the "hunting for idle" but still searches. The tach needle hardly moves, but you can hear it going up and down. Not a problem, but kinda weird as my "antique" '09 Harley never did it. Guess between the "throttle by wire", hydraulic valves, and brembo brakes, the antiques supersedes modern technology.....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hopefully you will be able to find a little peace within this one thread. As for me, I learned the hard way by worrying my self to death over it and searching for months on the internet!
Mine is an 08' that I bought new in 2010 with zero miles on it. From day one it had the idle surge. At around 4000 miles it stalled out when slowing down for a stop light when I pulled the clutch to downshift. It scared the crap out of me the fist few times it stalled because after the downshift and let out on the clutch on a motor turning @ ZERO rpm + rear wheel lock-up and slide!!

I took it to the dealer, complained and demanded they find the problem. They could not get it to replicate the problem so I just kept dealing with it. By the time it was @ 5000 miles, I never saw the stalling problem again.
By the 10000 mile mark, the idle surge calmed down to only being a problem in hot weather and only does it every so often. Not every stop like it use to.

I tried the "ECM Reset" thing several times only to find it surging again a hundred miles later. I had it in the shop and had it looked at and there was no acknowledgement of a wide spread problem. But we all know it is wide spread.

So in hind sight I have to question if it was really a problem or not. And since my 08' Runs great and buts a smile on my face every day, I have to say it is not a problem but simply the nature of the engine in the GL1800.
Some don't do it at all, some do it sometimes and some do it a lot. But in the end, they all run the same and are all great motors.

Enjoy your bike and do not let the idle surge bother you, it will calm down over time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts