Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Wingers,,

Just wondering when I stop at a red light sometimes my bike will idle up to around 1000 rpms.. Just wondering if anyone knows of hand.. Also I have headsets in my helmets and I get alot of stactic coming out of the helmets when the music comes out of the bike.. Thanks Dean

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Do a reset of the ECM to control the idle. From a cold start, start the bike without touching the throttle, let the bike warn up until the fans kick on, turn the bike off and start it up again without touching the throttle at any time, that should take care of your idle problem.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hello Wingers,,

Just wondering when I stop at a red light sometimes my bike will idle up to around 1000 rpms.. Just wondering if anyone knows of hand.. Also I have headsets in my helmets and I get alot of stactic coming out of the helmets when the music comes out of the bike.. Thanks Dean
If you have your I-com on, it is live all the time. The mics will pick up any noise around and the system seems to pick up static from the bikes alternator on some and not others.
There is a mute setting for the I-com, which is Honda's poor attempt to make the I-com act like it's VOX, mine doesn't seem to do much of anything!
If this is the noise/static you mean, the best solution is Mic-Mutes but, these require a PTT button be installed for the passenger! Also the "noise" will still be there when you key up to talk.
I have just purchased an inline filter for the passenger headset harness that is to also help with this. Not installed yet and I do not have the Mic-Mutes. While advise if this filter helps any after I try it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hello Wingers,,

You might want to just get used to the idle problem. I have a brand new 08' and I have all kinds of idle issues. Surging idle when sitting and every stop light I come to, it surges from almost stalling to 1000 rpms.
I have done the reset ECM thing several times and it has not helped. So now when people ask me why it idles like that? I tell them it's a Harley!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, now that's a bit harsh, don't ya think? :eek::):)
Just trying to inject a little humor in it that's all.
All I can do is laugh about it really. Been to the dealer, they say it's normal. Talked to several people who have the same problem and several who don't.
So I sit here with a "State of the Art" Fuel Injected 1832 cc Honda engine and when people ask me why is sounds funny at idle, I just have to laugh. Because deep down, it really pisses me off, gotta make my self feel good about spending this much coin for it to irritate the crap out of me!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Buzzy, I can understand your frustration. Have you taken your ride to a different dealer and discussed it with them? Just a thought...

Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Buzzy, I can understand your frustration. Have you taken your ride to a different dealer and discussed it with them? Just a thought...

Good luck!
Before I do that, I am going to do one more thing. I have had a bad habit in the past about being a little picky an anal about things.
Not bad mind you but some things like, a little rattle here or there will drive me crazy when no one else can even hear what I am talking about.
I admit that there have been times where it simply wasn't that much of an issue, it was just ME!

So I decided to take a video "Cold Start" video one morning next week. And I will try to mount a camera and get the idle surge when coming to a stop with a hot engine.
I will post them up and hopefully some of you can tell me if I am just being picky or if I have a problem.

This morning, I could hear a slight "miss" mixed in with the surging idle!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts