Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local news reporting this morning that a motorcycle rider has been killed in a accident involving a semi-truck, the biker was riding his crotch rocket at an estimated speed of at least 100 MPH. When his bike collided with the rear of the truck. I can't imagine the grief his family will experience dealing with a loved ones ignorance! MIND YOU THIS OCCURRED ON A STEEP UP-HILL GRADE WHERE THE TRUCKS ARE MOVING AT LESS THAN 50 MPH.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Just saw this on the local news. This is sad for his family.....

Every time I hear these reports, I like to do a background check before deciding if motorcycles are all death machines.
1. How old is the rider?
2. What type of motorcycle?
3. What type of gear?
4. Helmet?

So many times it points to rider negligence.
Sorry for the family

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Every time I hear these reports, I like to do a background check before deciding if motorcycles are all death machines.
1. How old is the rider?
3. What type of gear?
4. Helmet?

Sorry for the family
Troopers said they couldn't yet get a make of the bike due to the many pieces it is in. The riders driver license says he is out of state.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Way too many riders go out this way. They often try to emulate the antics of pirate video stars such as the Night Rider and doofs like the guy on youtube from Vancouver Island a few months back. They figure it's cool or something to be doing stratospheric speeds on public roads. I ride a fast race replica bike (RC51) but I seldom go fast on it. Number one, cops pay far too much attention to sport bikes (as they should), number two I can't afford the notoriety (tickets), and thirdly, it's just plain not safe (animals, vehicles, debris)...for me or anybody else.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Way too many riders go out this way. They often try to emulate the antics of pirate video stars such as the Night Rider and doofs like the guy on youtube from Vancouver Island a few months back. They figure it's cool or something to be doing stratospheric speeds on public roads. I ride a fast race replica bike (RC51) but I seldom go fast on it. Number one, cops pay far too much attention to sport bikes (as they should), number two I can't afford the notoriety (tickets), and thirdly, it's just plain not safe (animals, vehicles, debris)...for me or anybody else.
I agree Daryl. You know it's fun every once in a while to open it up on an open highway without traffic and peg 100 mph. I'll hang there for a minute or two and slowly back down to my usual 70 mph. At that speed it's like being in the death zone of Mt. Everest. You get to the top and then get back down as soon as you can. At the top, life can't exist very long.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
As long as we cheer the antics of people operating motorcycles on either side of the edge of safety.... we will continue to see these types of things happen.

Doing wheelies at 100 miles an hour, not very safe.
Doing reverse wheelies going from 100 miles and hour to 0, not very safe.
Splitting lanes at 100 miles an hour, not very safe.

Riding 1000 miles in 24 hours, for the purpose of riding a motorcycle for 1000 miles in 24 hours, not very safe and in fact illegal in many states.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We get that around here alot especially with all of the young soldiers getting back and buying the most powerful bike money can buy. The last bad one was 2 guys running from the cops and trying to get on base. One rider hit a car so hard that it rolled. The rest of us have to deal with the drivers that don't look. It's been a real bad year for bikes in these parts.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This accident wasn't an accident, it was suicide! Intentionally riding at that speed, 12:0'clock at night, overdriving your headlights,on a public highway .... a main highway at that! I had a thought .... what if my little girl had been with this suicidal fool? ? The dragon is another example of this behavior, if it was a closed to traffic course and controlled access it would be fine, but riders die constantly there, why? Because someone has to get a thrill at the risk of killing themselves or someone else! I look at the tree of shame and I can't help but think how it should be called " The tree of stupidity " , yet people will stand around the tree, gauking and laughing as if it is something to be proud of. I don't care if a guy wants to chance killing himself, but the people who are killed because they are traveling on a public road and expect the opposing traffic to stay in their space should not be subject to being killed by selfish idiots. Jmho

·
Registered
259 Posts

1. How old is the rider?
3. What type of gear?
4. Helmet?

Sorry for the family
The downside of helmets is that they are only 29% effective in preventing death. The upside of helmets is that they prevent brain injuries in 67% of the 29%. I'm guessing that most high speed motorcycle accidents fall into the 71% of deaths that helmets do not prevent.

Of course, stats can be misleading. For example, are helmets effective in only saving 29% of lives because not all fatal injuries are to the head - some are to the face, neck, limbs, chest, etc? Or could the 29% stat could also mean that injuries to head can be so severe that helmets can only protect from 29% of head injuries that cause death?

Greg

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
This accident wasn't an accident, it was suicide! Intentionally riding at that speed, 12:0'clock at night, overdriving your headlights,on a public highway .... a main highway at that! I had a thought .... what if my little girl had been with this suicidal fool? ? The dragon is another example of this behavior, if it was a closed to traffic course and controlled access it would be fine, but riders die constantly there, why? Because someone has to get a thrill at the risk of killing themselves or someone else! I look at the tree of shame and I can't help but think how it should be called " The tree of stupidity " , yet people will stand around the tree, gauking and laughing as if it is something to be proud of. I don't care if a guy wants to chance killing himself, but the people who are killed because they are traveling on a public road and expect the opposing traffic to stay in their space should not be subject to being killed by selfish idiots. Jmho
That is why these marathon rides are illegal in many states. If I was thinking of doing one of these, I would check with my insurance company and see if I am covered doing something illegal and dangerous.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We went to the viewing of a new friend about three weeks ago, he died after hitting a deer while riding his Harley. I personally don't think wearing a helmet would have saved his life. He expired before help arrived and after hearing of how many bones were broken and what had to be done just to present him in a casket was incredible. But what do expect the damages could be hitting a deer at 55 mph on a motorcycle, we've all seen what damage they do to a car.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are liars, damn liars and the statistics. Helmets saved my dad a few times. Going from 50+ to 0 quickly will kill you most times helmet or not.
I don't believe anyone will deny that helmets can save lives, depending on the mechanics of a crash , but as in anything there are variables ; ex: size of the rider, physical condition of the rider, object mass, speed, type of bike, etc! I could mention more. I have worked fatalities that you would not believe could result from the scene you are seeing. I remember one that involved a rider who was wearing a helmet, stopped at a curb, fell over and broke his neck! Statistics can only give you a playing field, they are not precise and don't cover all variables, so to say they lie is not accurate either.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Came across a similar accident or suicide a couple of years ago. Semi was broke down on end of bridge, driver was putting out Triangle orange warning markers when cyclist hit the rear dead center doing at least the highway speed of 70. Most fudge on that 5 or 6. Not a skid mark anywhere to show any attempt at braking. Often wondered if it was intentional. OH yeah, broad daylight with sun behind them. As for helmets, Wouldn't ride my bike out of garage without. One saved my noggin more than once. Don't know if they'd have been fatal, possibly one could have, but sure saved a lot of pain me thinks.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Came across a similar accident or suicide a couple of years ago. Semi was broke down on end of bridge, driver was putting out Triangle orange warning markers when cyclist hit the rear dead center doing at least the highway speed of 70. Most fudge on that 5 or 6. Not a skid mark anywhere to show any attempt at braking. Often wondered if it was intentional. OH yeah, broad daylight with sun behind them. As for helmets, Wouldn't ride my bike out of garage without. One saved my noggin more than once. Don't know if they'd have been fatal, possibly one could have, but sure saved a lot of pain me thinks.
Was probably fatigue that killed him. He was in a zone and wasn't paying attention to the road. Just following the white line.

·
Registered
125 Posts
As with all fatal accidents only the rider will ever know for certain. Being from AZ where helmet laws change, as a youth I rode without a helmet most times. The first time I ever hit my head was later in life on my old goldwing when I lost the rear tire. You can't control the weight of your head with a helmet. It will always impact. Helmets save you from road rash, not impact. Hit anything hard enough and you pay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.