Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post on the IBA forum tommorrow about the site and that it has an IBA forum. I know a lot of riders there have Goldwings....

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
i think i could do an iron butt run but this year i'm not sure i have the time

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to get easier the more I do...but at the end the last 100 or so seem the hardest. Minimizing stops and making stops quick also helps. Getting a consistant speed and utilixing a full moon to maximize night light also is a good thing. Keeping away from congested areas when possible....I hit bumper to bumper in Illinois once and it set me back ...alot.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I keep considering doing an IBA when I come home from Pa. in August

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
It seems to get easier the more I do...but at the end the last 100 or so seem the hardest. Minimizing stops and making stops quick also helps. Getting a consistant speed and utilixing a full moon to maximize night light also is a good thing. Keeping away from congested areas when possible....I hit bumper to bumper in Illinois once and it set me back ...alot.
i was just thinking about the traffic. my plan was to head to greenbay ( about 480 miles ) but the rush hour traffic going through chicago would kill too much time so i'll have to come up with another destination and head south or east

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I will post on the IBA forum tommorrow about the site and that it has an IBA forum. I know a lot of riders there have Goldwings....
Whats a good checklist to go by when prepping for an IBA? Not the physical, but the protocol.....Does the website tell how to set it up?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Whats a good checklist to go by when prepping for an IBA? Not the physical, but the protocol.....Does the website tell how to set it up?
Yes, their website explaines it very well. Just google IBA Rides. I have not done one yet, but now that I have my new wing, I have 2 routes planned for the 1000 miles in 24 hours.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
A friend of mine slabbed it from Kansas to Prattville, Al and started at 1 a.m. and finished at 9 pm. with several stops. Some of that stretch was running 100+mph.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
A friend of mine slabbed it from Kansas to Prattville, Al and started at 1 a.m. and finished at 9 pm. with several stops. Some of that stretch was running 100+mph.
The IBA web site http://www.ironbutt.com will explain everything you need. One thing they harp on is safety and actually discourage speeding (you know its all for the lawyers). In fact they would not certify Yellow Wolfs IB ride on the Dragon because his average speed was higher than the posted speed limit. I have done one IB run and was planning on doing another this year. 1000 miles and stay in KY. My little ole wife doesnt like it when I talk about doing another run. She thinks I got bells palsy from riding 21 straight hours and the helmet pushing on my face. I dont know but I have not been married for 20 years because I listen to everything she says :D....If possible Id ride one with you. I really want to do the 50 CC run.........TIME AND $$$$ though!

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
The IBA web site http://www.ironbutt.com will explain everything you need. One thing they harp on is safety and actually discourage speeding (you know its all for the lawyers). In fact they would not certify Yellow Wolfs IB ride on the Dragon because his average speed was higher than the posted speed limit. I have done one IB run and was planning on doing another this year. 1000 miles and stay in KY. My little ole wife doesnt like it when I talk about doing another run. She thinks I got bells palsy from riding 21 straight hours and the helmet pushing on my face. I dont know but I have not been married for 20 years because I listen to everything she says :D....If possible Id ride one with you. I really want to do the 50 CC run.........TIME AND $$$$ though!
This is the route I was thinking - If you have a better plan, I am all over it.:)
http://g.co/maps/psydk

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would like to do one, but it may have to go the the bucket list.
Pick a Saturday....start on a full moon weekend...take the monday off ..ride from 4 to 6 am in the morning to you finish...which should be around midnight or one am...it is not a long drawn out thing.....jmop

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I have been mapping out my route for my first SS1000. I am thinking about doing it sometime this summer. I was actually going to do it in the next couple weeks, since I have been laid off for the last month, but I just found out that I go back to work on Monday. But I am thinking sometie in the next month, we will be off again. My route is going to be from Austin Mn, to Rapid City SD, and back home again, in 24 hours. If that goes well, I may add to that, and after a short rest, I will get up, and head up to Duluth Mn, and then back home to Austin again. That would give me the extra 500 miles for my 1500 miles in 36 hours. My wife thinks I am crazy!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big daddy...I road to Billings monatana last year my first day day two to Wisc....and then on my third day NJ....after a few days back to Roswell... make sure your tires are really sound for the 1500 the long rides can make them go prematurely...check them frequently ...I found that out the hard way...some mistakes you don't want to make even once....ride safe and good luck...

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks! Do you know if there is any way to post on the IBA Forum, before you actually do an IB Ride?
Sorry but like being an IBA member you must complete a ride and to post you must be a member...But if you need something answered I would be glad to post for you....

If my mid June ride goes well and I obtain the final patch I will be a retired IBA rider....only did them to prove to myself I could....I know that sounds ridiculous ...but that is why I did it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts