Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the whole who waves to whom thing. i went for a little 100 mile putt sunday, just around here, out on our two lane blacktops. very little traffic, saw a whole bunch of BIKERS though. i wave to everyone, of course goldwingers get an enthusiastic thumbs up and a big wave and nod!!! sometimes i even point to their wing, and then give a big thumbs up, as we pass each other. now on the real side, i am not an ATGATT, kind of person.i always wear jeans and boots, but the top half, well lets just say i love the feel of the ride. i usually ride "very comfortably" slouched down in the seat, with my feet on the highway boards, and one hand on the bars. i use the left hand for waving. now if i get into traffic i sit up, and pay attention, but where i ride, "the backroads" are usually pretty much traffic free. i was getting waves from all the different kinds of bikes that i passed. then i saw in the distance, three brand new, and might i add beautiful, goldwings. the drivers and co riders, were all dressed in full MATCHING gear, from head to toe, each rider matching his color of wing. i sat up and pointed at their bikes and gave a big nod, and thumbs up and smiling, and all i got was a LITTLE hand wave, from all of them, like it was hurting them to move. and im on a wing!!!! now if i was on my wifes bike, i doubt if any of them would have even done that. so i think i have broken the code of waving. i think it depends on: a) usually what you are riding, b) how you are riding, and c) if you got on ATGATT!!!!!!! if i was all geard up, and riding with my feet on the pegs, and a full face helmet, all the wingers would have given me a significant wave. but since i wasnt, all geared up, and riding "right", BUT I WAS ON A WING, THEY FELT THEY HAD TO ACKNOWLEDGE ME. but of course, then the harley riders wouldnt wave to me , because i was all geared up!!! now dont get me wrong here, this waving thing doesnt mean sh!! to me, who does and who dont! i just wanted to break it down, to see WHY.......... WHO WAVES TO WHOM!!!!!! but ya know, we will all keep on WINGINIT RICK

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
LMAO!! Well I only dress full leather when it is cold and do not wear much when it is hot. I have experienced the same from wingers at times too! I guess there are wing snobs too heheheehe!! Do I care ? Not!!! I am a friendly person and share a kindred spirit with all riders so i wave to all despite the snubs I get. I live to ride is all I know and hope to move to a climate where I can ride full time!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
they did wave

·
Registered
157 Posts
They might be busy watching the weather channel.

I also wave at all bikers but do not expect a wave back.
I live on a mountain with lesser traffic but a lot of bikes come here to ride, sometimes the wave and sometimes they don't.

doesn't rally matter.
The funny part is when on my VTX everyone seems to wave as compared to my GW or Ultraa classic.
Go figure

dd

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i get more people to wave when i am on my 450 nighthawk than any other bike

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I just wave. Don't care who or what, as long as it has 2 wheels I wave. If my daughter(s) ride with me I always ask them "did you wave?".. So I don't care what you wear... Unless your not wearing anything.... then I look the other way... LOL.. Ride safe whatever your wearing or riding.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I ride a Wing and wear jeans, boots and either a t-shirt or jacket (not leather) depending on the weather and either open face or full face helmet, depending on how I feel that day, I also ride with my feet on the highway pegs and lean back on my back rest most of the time, if I'm on a real twisty road I sit straight up and handle the bike through the curves, most Gold Wing riders wave back and most all other bikers wave back also. Some wave to me and I don't wave back, maybe I saw them to late to wave or my mind was on something else, bottom line is some will wave and some will not.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It depends on the volume of traffic as to whether i wave a little or alot. I found California (no offense Joe) where I've ridden, there are just multitudes of bikes, too many to wave at or you never have your hand on the bars. Same in Arizona.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
new bikes, new clothes...............aha, new bikers.

They weren't snobs, they were scared to let go the grip!!!

I have talked to a few that just decided to go buy a bike. no experience, no mentor, no friends to help out with good habits much less good etiquette.
If gas goes back up, we will have a whole new lot of bikers with no bike sense just like we now have with the cagers.

I wave now and don't even look for a return as it is a distraction and like others have said, it really doens't matter. Eventually, the comradery will be lost by the influx of newbies that just aren't aware. It's not their fault, they don't know but I think it's already here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It has little to do with their mount and clothing, and almost everthing to do with the situation, and/or personalities. My wife and I have an 1800, with bike color matching full mesh jackets and pants, and open and closed faced, bike color matching Aria hemets. We have Golding gloves, and shirts. (still looking for the underwear) LOL We both wave at everyone we see, even the scooters across the freeway, and on a 2 lane, also to most of the farmers and truck drivers. Even when my wife is on her 1300C VTX, and I am on my CBR 1000rr, we wave like the guy in the previous post. Oh well. I have been riding for 40+ years, and 27 of those on a Gold Wing. Yes, I still feel like a newbie, as I have a lot to learn yet. Every trip, is a new experience..... All, and only, by the grace of my Lord Jesus Christ.....Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey midnight,

Sorry if I offended you. I took this post to be more kidding than serious. You are right, of course, There are snobs of every variety just as there are good people from every walk of life and every social level. Anyway, didn't mean to step on anyone's meshed cuffs.

P.S., we used to make fun of all the wingers not waving because it took too long to get the recliner up, put the coffee down,fold the paper and put it in the magazine rack.
Actually, we were just jealous.

As for the underwear, don't all bikers wear SUPERMAN underwear?

Hey, maybe I was raised wrong but if I'm going into a nasty T-bone, I want that cape flowing behind me and make it look really cool as I sail thru the air.

ride safe and um, I really don't want to know what any one wears under their mesh outfits. K?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This is a subject that will never die LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Could just be newbies.

When I picked up my Wing in SLC, I hadn't been on a motorcycle in 15 years. We drove up from Vegas and I rode the bike home while my flower followed me in the car. I passed a few bikes before I realized they were all waving. So, for the next few bikes after that, I waved if they waved to me first. Before I got home, I was waving to all of them regardless, and still do.

My wife was pretty amused that bikers wave to bikers and I explained to her that it's "The Brotherhood!" :D I don't remember ever waving 15 years ago. :confused: She occasionally flashes two fingers in front of me when I'm driving the car and we pass a motorcycle. Smart a**!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wave at all bikers...I even wave at 8 year old kids on bicycles. (they always wave back). It's an acknowledgement of a common bond.
Strat

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Wave.....

Now I can tell you what I have seen.....

1st: Never wave...only lower your hand, point downward for the wave...a parade wave is consider too yuppie or nerdie for the HD'ers but accepted by the GW'ers

2nd: I experimented last year on this topic...I had a 92% wave response from HD riders if you do not wear a helmet....98% wave response if you wear a skull cap....I only had a 67% wave rate from GW riders when I had my skull cap on and leathers....76% with just no helmet and 93% with a helment on.....total 52 GW riders and 48 HD riders

So I think it is strongly related to what you wear and the image.

I do have to admit...I went to a GWRRA event...rode in without a helmet...and I did get a lot of (I will be polite) looks....personnaly I thought it was inappropriate of the on lookers...but who am I to judge...I don't let thing like that bother me...

Personnaly I get along with everyone...so I don't care what you ride...or what you wear...yes I have my favorites but everyone is treated with respect and I don't care if you do not wave back...

Safe Ride...if they wave back smile...if they don't continue to smile and feel comfortable in the seat of a GW. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
love2ride,

Thanks. I think though, that you may be on to something with that "cape thing." Now, if I only I could get 2 in matching, Metallic, Caliente Red, with a GL logal, about mid way down in the bac.........LOL

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
LMAO!! kinda reminds me of anal Orvis fisherman!! (Joking)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts