Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to thank everyone who contributes to this site as it has helped me decide to purchase a GW.

I pick up my new Pearl GW on Saturday. I have not even seen the bike yet as I purchased it over the phone. I am very excited!!!!

Here is what I would like to know. What should I expect when I pick it up? Will they go through all the toys on the bike?

I purchased the Package 3 - Audio, GPS, and ABS - I know that there are lots of buttons, switches, and other stuff that I really have no idea what they do or how they work.

Are there any upgrades that I should have the dealer install prior to me picking it up?

Last question and I know this is a personal choice but what would you recommend for a helmet and headset? I would like to find one that does both intercom and stereo. (they may all do this but I just don't know)

Thank you all again and I can't wait to get on the bike. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new Wing, ride safe and enjoy.
Please post pics when you can.
The salesman should go over the bike with you prior to riding off the lot.
Upgrades? drivers backrest and highway pegs.
I'm old school shorty helmet and radio just playing openly.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Okay.....first of all congrats on the GW. Great choice.
Now, even if they don't show you the bells and whistles, the manual will cover it.
As far as a helmet....I really really like the Nolan 43. Thats the one I am working towards. GORDO can enlighten you on that helmet. Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Congratulations on your new goldwing. I bet there is great excitement in the camp. You will probally be counting the sleeps. I would expect that you will get showen over the bike. And welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Eric

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , I use the Nolan 43 helmet , I like it alotx, you can break it down to a open face or have full face and the head set is very clear

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congtrats on your new Wing. I also have the Nolan 43 and really like it. Got it from J&M Audio with the intercom built in. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

If you update your location we will know where you call home.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome from the heartland! Enjoy the new bike! My dealer gave me $700 in accessories, I went with highway pegs, spoiler with brake light and passenger armrests.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely take a look at the Nolan Helmet.

I am very excited to get the bike as it has been 20 yrs since I was on a GW. My last bike was a HD Road King and I am looking forward to a smooth ride.

Thanks Again! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello rcarriere, welcome to GWOF and congrats!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
BIG DAY ! BIG DAY ! You are in for the surprise of your life. If you were interested in a Lighted Spoiler you might have the dealer add it on. Not because it is difficult to do, but because you will be focused on other riding comfort items and " bling " . BIG DAY! BIG DAY!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
BIG DAY ! BIG DAY ! You are in for the surprise of your life. If you were interested in a Lighted Spoiler you might have the dealer add it on. Not because it is difficult to do, but because you will be focused on other riding comfort items and " bling " . BIG DAY! BIG DAY!
I've had my new one for over a month now and I'm still like kid in a candy store every time I see it I the morning , so every day is BIG DAY still to me lol , but your right Lee that first day you get it
Your like I don't even won't to go to sleep

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! If your dealer/sales person is half worth their salt, they'll take you through as much of the bike as they think you can absorb. In Canada we're required to do do training on the bike's systems (operationally) especially the GPS. It's our job to make sure you're comfortable with things 'before' you drive it away. Now some buyers just want to be left alone, but a sales professional will be determined to see that all the boxes are checked off. Make sure that you're comfortable with all the necessary controls before you ride away; with or without the dealer's help. Not sure about the US, but we get 'graded' by Honda Canada on our dealings with our customers for both on and off-road machines. If we fail on any of the survey questions (Honda calls a good many of the buyers) we get hammered by our DSMs.
One piece of advice I'll give you: do NOT try and fiddle with any of the radio controls once under way when you take delivery, set a station before you leave and then leave it. There's too much sensory overload with the control panel and we don't need to hear about a distracted new owner bending his new scoot, or himself! Enjoy and be safe:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am just a few short hours from picking up my GW. I appreciate all the kind words and suggestions.

I am going to get to the dealer early so that I be shown as much as possible about the bike. I will definitely be doing lots of reading when I get the manual.

I can't wait to see what the ride is like!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike, just keep it simple, yes your new ride will have many bells and whistles but don't use any of those for now you don't need the distraction on a new Wing. Just treat your bike like a bike and get to know it on your ride home.
once home read the manual and setup the bike features the way you want in the safety of your garage. after awhile all the toys and buttons will be second nature.BTW the starter button says reverse. I watched the salesman start the bike and he showed me everything
but once he walked away and I went to start it I couldn't for the life of me find the starter button because it is labeled REVERSE.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
knelson1969 - Good to know! LOL

The dealer is 75 miles from my home so I will have a great opportunity to get to know the bike.

I will take your advice and just drive the bike and no worry about all the gadgets till I get home and have time to go through the manual.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I am just a few short hours from picking up my GW. I appreciate all the kind words and suggestions.

I am going to get to the dealer early so that I be shown as much as possible about the bike. I will definitely be doing lots of reading when I get the manual.

I can't wait to see what the ride is like!
Don't learn too much while you are there because the moment you take off you will forget what he said about this and that feature anyway. Don't be playing those buttons while you are on your first long way ride home. Remember, the clutch lever is on the right and the front brake lever is on the left. We expect to hear from you in a week or so after you finally reach home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually work at a Honda dealership, and been here for over 8 yrs. One thing a make sure, is that my Goldwing customers are comfortable with their new Bike, and they know how to use it....so someone should go over it with you....yes it is true you could read the owners manual, but their is no substitute for the "personal touch" and having someone of take the time to show you and give you some tips for your new bike.
a couple of options that ive found helpful on the goldwing is the fog lights (get the LED one's...they are much brighter) the rear spoiler and the rear luggage rack. depending on your height, you may also want to get a set of highway pegs. they make a big diff on longer rides.
Enjoy your new ride.
Darris @ Tom Clark Motorsports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I picked up the bike around 11:00am. The Dealer was great and they did go over the bike, warranty upgrades, tire warranty, and some other options and add on's. I ended up declining all of that stuff. The dealer/Honda has a special right now where they also gave 500.00 in merch...so I got new helmets, headsets, gloves, and rain gear.

It was a 75 mile ride back to my house with my wife following in the car. I have to admitt that my first imperssion was that the ride was not really all that special.

Once home, my wife jumped on the back and we drove an additional 130 miles on back roads and then it hit me....this is a really nice bike. The more I drove the bike the more I really started to enjoy it. I think that my nerves got the best of me when I first got on the bike as I have not been on a bike in 3 years. Once I relaxed and let the bike do its thing I found the bike very easy to drive. The handling on the bike is awesome! It is almost like the bike knows what you are going to do and where the curves are in the road and it just cruises right through them.

I am impressed.

Thank you all for all the suggestion and feedback.

I will be putting on another 250 miles tomorrow. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Your not the first one to be impressed with a new Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the smiles for many miles..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts