Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just joined earlier today. Nice site. I have a '89 GL1500 Goldwing that I bought new. It only has 29,000 miles but has sat under the carport for years & the setting sun has faded & cooked the right side. The saddlebag has extreme scaling & I plan to strip it along with some other panels. I'm an old paint & body man on older cars but have been out of the business for 20+ years. I need to know what to strip with-sandpaper, chemical, or what ?? & I need to know what type primer to build back up with ?? I've read some of the paint related threads & plan on using either the US Paint or Colour-Rite paint. I intend to repaint the complete bike.

Thanks in Advance For All Replies,
Davb

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Paint for me involves the kitchen ceiling and that's about it so I cant be of much help there. But I can welcome you to the forum from Pa. I'm sure others will chime in here shortly with suggestions. Ride safe and enjoy the site..

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Just had mine done this summer by someone who paints. I don't believe he used chemicals just sandpaper like 1200 grit. He then primered it grey.

Be advised that if yours is 2 tone it is really just 1 color. The inserts are vinyl and 3m tape held in place. The lines hidden by the pin striping then all of it clear coated.

I had him paint over the paint and panels then pinstripe over the old and then clearcoated it all again.

Good luck, maybe someone with paint experience will chime in but hope this helps some.

Also, if you have repairs to do fill in, then use ABS plastic rod that is the same base material so it expands and contracts with the plastic parts. Don't use plastic glue or anything else to fill in cracks or holes. I cheap plastic gun that just heats the rod is all you need. Heat the base material just enough to melt the rod. Be careful tho not to overheat the base material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts