Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy rainy spring everybody!!! A very good friend contacted me about purchasing a used wing...I thought I would ask the forum for your advice!!! The ad reads, "1984 Honda Goldwing GL 1200 Aspercade...80,000 mi...Bike is in great shape. The chrome mufflers are in excellent condition, the paint is great, the tires are like new. New brakes, fork seals and battery. All elecrical doodads work. Complete maintenance records from previous owner. Looking for a smaller bike....$2,800...........

What pertinent questions should he ask the seller??!! Should he ever consider the bike!!??....Is $2,800 a fair price...Everyone's input would be appreciated...thank you:):):)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I am no expert on Goldwings, so I will let everyone else chime in. But I can tell you that I just baught a 1985 Aspencade in what I would say very good shape, and gave $2400 for it.I am in Minnesota.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Price is good - I'd ask two questions: Has the stator been replaced? Has the "three yellow wire" fix been done?
If the bike is in good shape and the electrical issues have been addressed, you're getting a bike that will go anywhere and run another 100,000 mile for $2800. Can't beat that deal.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Price is fair, ask if the stator been replaced, since this is the biggest problem with the 1200 Gold Wings. Offer $2500 and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
my 1200 wing is an '84 and i paid $2500 back in '07. the stator had been replaced

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
And you will have many many great miles to go on it.
you are correct joe as i ride the 1500 wing way more than the 1200 wing. but the milage on both bikes is about the same 51,xxx on the 1200 wing and 55,xxx on the 1500 wing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You!!

Thanx everyone for your input........Excuse my ignorance(1) what is the stator and briefly (2) what is the "three yellow wire fix"!!??

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's a connector under the left side cover that's noted for failing. It has 3 yellow wires coming in from both sides. Best idea is to cut the connector out and solder the wires together. Doesn't matter which wire to which wire.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
It's just getting broken in..........I'd say get the best deal you can and take it, if it's as good as it sounds in the ad...

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
There's a connector under the left side cover that's noted for failing. It has 3 yellow wires coming in from both sides. Best idea is to cut the connector out and solder the wires together. Doesn't matter which wire to which wire.
if you are not good at soldering then keep the connector clean

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
Good advice from everybody. I'd say the same, offer $2500 as long as the charging system work has been done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would quibble if the stator hasn't been replaced. That is at least a $1200 and up issue. 1984 were famous for going thru stators pretty regularly. They got better with the 1985 and onward.

Just my 3 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I know this is off thread. But I gotta say it and this thread is a good example.
Wow, its great to see experienced guys like oldsmores throwing in the technical advice, saving a complete stranger major bucks. This is what forums were intended for from the beginning. But no forum is worth a damn without the right members. And this forum has got to be among the best at meeting that original goal.
Thank you and congratulations to all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That wing is nearly 30 years old. As nice as it might be, the price drops IMHO, because finding replacement parts will become far more difficult in the coming years. Then again, if $2,800 is all the buyer has to spend, and the bike is in fair shape with a replaced stator, I'd say it is a fair price. If you ride it for three years before it dies, it will have cost you about $2.50 per day to own it ... plus gas, plus insurance, plus maintenance ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts