Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GW riders,
After many years of riding sports bikes, dirt bikes, cruisers and now a Honda Silverwing Scooter. I think I'm now ready for the Goldwing but I have the following questions:

1. What year can I get with the least amount of problems? I know Hondas will last forever, but there are some years that are not perfect.

2. What most Goldwing owners don't like about their bike?

3. Is it worth the extra money to buy one with ABS?

4. I currently ride every day to work, 12 miles one way, would the GW be to heavy for just a short commute vice riding my Honda SW scooter?

5. Which color has the best resale? I want to get the Yellow one because I will be able to be seen better in heavy traffic on the freeway vice a darker color.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the East. Let me give my opinion to your questions:
1. Problem year. If you are looking at a GL1800 years 01-04 had frame and cooling issues. Most of those should have been covered by warranty if the bike was taken care of.
2. I like my GL1800 but no bike is perfect for everyone.
3. ABS is great, but you can't just get ABS. You need to buy a top of the line model to get ABS. Is ABS worth it, yes...
4. If you love to drive the Wing than the miles won't matter (a little or a lot). You may find that you are taking a longer way home if you have a Wing.
5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like yellow, than get yellow. Color does not make a big difference in resale value. Condition does..

Good luck on your search and hope you find the right Wing. Ride safe..

·
Registered
30 Posts
It also depends on your budget. Running, reliable wings can run from $1000 to $30,000+. I picked mine up for dirt cheap and I ride it everywhere even if it is 2 miles. LOVE IT! Resale value is all relative. Compared to most every other bike, GWs hold their value better; dropping only around $500-$1000/year for the first couple of years. Darker colors or two-tone tend to hold value better, but if you are already thinking about resale, once you get one, your mind will soon change to not ever wanting to let it go.

Reliability is definitely mentioned whenever you are are talking about GWs. Mine is 27 years old and runs incredibly well for its age. Like TWW said, you will find the long way home or start finding excuses on why you need to leave the house.

If you do end up looking into the older GWs, I hear avoid the 1200s. can't really remember why. That is just what I hear.

You definitely will not get the gas mileage that you are currently getting with the scooter, but the experience is well worth the trade.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's some advice from an old Harley guy. Buy the biggest, fastest, most expensive model you can afford. You will never be sorry. i have bought, (almost top of the line models) then tried to add parts in order to make it top of the line...... that just doesn't work. get the best sound system, ABS, etc. ....... again you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I do have some what of a budget, but not because of money but the idea of me paying almost $30k for a bike is some what a hard sell for the wife. I would like to stay under $20K or paying $21k out the door.
I am very interested in getting an 06 or later. I think my only big deal for me is having the Nav and the ABS. The air bag model is no big deal to me, because I'm not planning on using it. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess no one plans on using the airbag. There are plenty of new left-over 08's and 09's that you can pick up for $21,000.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess no one plans on using the airbag. There are plenty of new left-over 08's and 09's that you can pick up for $21,000.
I know. I have been looking here, on ebay, and craiglist. I guess I'm still undecided about getting one ASAP. If the USMC keeps me here in CA then I will get one very soon. If I get orders to little colder climate and will not be able to ride daily as I do now. :mad: I have to wait until April or May to get my GW.

I should have my new orders by Feb 2010.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First of all, thank you for your service. I hope you can stick around and continue to ride like you are now. The way the economy is though, there should continue to be bikes out there for good prices. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Just bought a '08 with Navi, heated seats, Pearl White, 10,000 mi, off Craigs's List here in Northern Virginia for 18k. No addy's on it, so the wife is already nervous. To " Easyrider " Semper Fi! Aviation Ordnance 1974-1980.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Have to agree with rickfrl onthe bells and whistles models. and to save money, check dealerships with non-current inventory. '08 and
'09 units are going for bargain prices and depressing sales levels hurt so dealers will dicker, especially if they have a unit all set up for display and don't want to carry it over the winter. Crated units might not be quite as bargain based as they have to PDI them first and they would far rather sell one already done. Remember you get full factory warranty on dealer-sold units, along with warranty coverage if you want any dealer installed Hondaline accessories. Shop wisely:cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all, thank you for your service. I hope you can stick around and continue to ride like you are now. The way the economy is though, there should continue to be bikes out there for good prices. Best of luck.

Thank you. I am planning on riding all the way to the grave. :D
I started at the tender age of 12, and 30 years later still have the love for two wheels.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought a '08 with Navi, heated seats, Pearl White, 10,000 mi, off Craigs's List here in Northern Virginia for 18k. No addy's on it, so the wife is already nervous. To " Easyrider " Semper Fi! Aviation Ordnance 1974-1980.
Oohrah Devildog! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, how is the weather there now? I might be coming that way via the Marine Corps to Quantico, VA if I don't stay here in at Campen, CA for another 3 yrs.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Easyrider: As we write it is raining lightly , about 58 degrees. We can have some Indian Summer days here so you always keep the bike ready to go. I live about 30 mile north of Quantico in Centreville VA. Been to the Marine museum a few times, nice little quick ride to kill a few hours. They have the Harrier AV8A hanging from the rafters. Almost brings a nostalgic tear to me eyes to see it! My favorite state is Arizona. VMA-513 is still there in Yuma and my elderly parents live in Phoenix . I go out once a year, rent a Harley and drive to wherever. If they ship you up here I'll take you under my " Wing " or help get you one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rent a Harley!:eek:
I rented a Harley about two years ago to do a 4 day trip. I was walking or stuck on the side of the road everyday due to something going wrong (oil leaks, flat tire, wouldn't start, clutch went out) with the bike.:mad: Sorry, but I wouldn't let my 15 year old yellow one eyed lab dog pee on a Harley. :D

The local Honda dealership is willing to rent me a Goldwing and would give me credit on the rental if I buy a GW from their shop. It really sound like a great deal, but I really need to wait to see what Uncle Sam is going to do with me.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Rent a Harley!:eek:
I rented a Harley about two years ago to do a 4 day trip. I was walking or stuck on the side of the road everyday due to something going wrong (oil leaks, flat tire, wouldn't start, clutch went out) with the bike.:mad: Sorry, but I wouldn't let my 15 year old yellow one eyed lab dog pee on a Harley. :D

The local Honda dealership is willing to rent me a Goldwing and would give me credit on the rental if I buy a GW from their shop. It really sound like a great deal, but I really need to wait to see what Uncle Sam is going to do with me.
I don't whether to laugh or cry. The rentals in Phoenix are always new bikes. I worry about hurting them, not being their victim. I know how you feel waiting for others to make a decision before you can play your hand. I waited for my " Commander -in-Chief " to accept and approve my purchase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts