Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2018 non tour with the shorty windshield. I like it just fine because I prefer to look over it. However we got some bluetooth headsets this year and the wind noise keeps the mic open all the time. With the shield in the up position it is right in my line of sight. I'm 5-4. So I've been messaging a couple of people on the forums who have the tour windshield for sale. I understand this one is 4" taller. But when in the down position, that will be right in my line of sight. So I'm not sure what to do. Seems all the shields are either 16" or 20". I need something in between. And there is nothing I can do about the headsets either. I've tried everything to prevent the open mic. I've doubled the foam, used fingertips from gloves and I've sewed little socks out of fur and after 3 different fur pieces, I found one that does work. Although it looks like a tribble. So what is best, people seem to like the F4, what about Show Chrome or Slipstream? Should I just buy a used shield off a tour? What to do, what to do........

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,515 Posts
What headsets are you using and are the mics pointed directly at your lips?' We have found that the Cardo units control wind noise much better than the Sena units we used to have and that was on our Vulcan with a mini windshield and our wing with an OE winshield. If you buy a windshield that is higher than you want you can always cut it down. We have zero wind noise with our Cardo units.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are Sena. I didn't know there would be such a difference. Sena seemed more well known so I went with them. And yes, the mic has to be almost in my mouth to work. Since I put the furry sock on them, they work ok. Not 100% but good enough. I ordered a new windshield today. It is 3" higher than my stock windshield. We'll have to see how that works. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,515 Posts
If you go to u-tube they have various comparisons of the Cardo vs Sena and most have found the wind noise through the Cardo to be substantially less that is one of the reasons we switched.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've got a 2018 non tour with the shorty windshield. I like it just fine because I prefer to look over it. However we got some bluetooth headsets this year and the wind noise keeps the mic open all the time. With the shield in the up position it is right in my line of sight. I'm 5-4. So I've been messaging a couple of people on the forums who have the tour windshield for sale. I understand this one is 4" taller. But when in the down position, that will be right in my line of sight. So I'm not sure what to do. Seems all the shields are either 16" or 20". I need something in between. And there is nothing I can do about the headsets either. I've tried everything to prevent the open mic. I've doubled the foam, used fingertips from gloves and I've sewed little socks out of fur and after 3 different fur pieces, I found one that does work. Although it looks like a tribble. So what is best, people seem to like the F4, what about Show Chrome or Slipstream? Should I just buy a used shield off a tour? What to do, what to do........
Take a look at the VStream windshields, I use the 17" deluxe for all but the coldest weather it is pretty quiet, I have the 20" F4 wide for colder weather. I don't hear a big difference between them.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Our Sena kit came with a plastic shield which was essential to cut down the wind noise when my wife was wearing an open-face helmet. She has since switched to a modular helmet so wind noise is no longer a problem.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
If you are going to purchase a new windshield, I'd highly recommend checking out Madstad windscreens. There are many reviews, including on this site that you can search out. I was really happy to discover the reduction in wind noise coming over my headset (Sena) from my wife's helmet. Of the 3 other windscreens I tried, this was the most effective one. And they are a 'look over' windscreen. Now, my bike is an '06, so no 1st hand knowledge of how well they work on '18+ machines, but when I was purchasing there were many good reviews on bikes other than Wings, so I imagine they are equally as good on a '18+ Wing.

Reactions: Maui

·
Registered
482 Posts
F2 windshield on my bike with a Sena phone-------So far, sooooooooooooooooooooooo good

Ronnie
1/11/21

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
What type of plastic shield is that?
It is a microphone sized disc that slips into the wind sock on the forward side of the mic. With her modular helmet she does not need it anymore but it helped a lot when she had an open face helmet.

We do well with a stock wind screen. I lower it all the way down in hot weather while one-up or raised all the way when two-up or riding in cold/wet weather. We get very little buffeting except with strong cross winds or around large vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a microphone sized disc that slips into the wind sock on the forward side of the mic. With her modular helmet she does not need it anymore but it helped a lot when she had an open face helmet.

We do well with a stock wind screen. I lower it all the way down in hot weather while one-up or raised all the way when two-up or riding in cold/wet weather. We get very little buffeting except with strong cross winds or around large vehicles.
Where do you get this disc, I've never heard of this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts